Search Question....

SchneiderDriver

Newly Enlightened
How do you all keep track of where all you posted?!!! This is driving me nutz. And I have only posted a few places so far.

The only thing I've found is to search for my user number, then go check each post for replies. That works, but something that would be extremely helpful would be if you could search "All Forums" at once, instead of having to search all the forums separately where you might have posted.

Maybe I'm missing something, and there is an easier way. I'm sure you will let me know if there is, and I'll feel pretty stupid for asking the question!

Thanks, Joe

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe, why don't you try clicking on "candle power forums" and then click- "Today's Active Topics"-it's a great time-saver and a heckava lot easier:cool:

p.s.-when you open a topic, do you check the automatic Email-me box?

SchneiderDriver

Newly Enlightened
Doug,
I'll try that, thanks!

Yeah, I did select to have email notifications. It would be nice if you could get those any time someone quotes from your post on a reply, too.

joe

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SchneiderDriver:
... any time someone quotes from your post on a reply ...
joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that the bandwidth problems caused DavidW, our Leader, to turn the "Search All Open Forums" option off.

I suppose that if you quote another member's post *within the same Topic*, then it's just a matter of both members remembering to read the Topic you've both posted in.

Besides using "Todays Active Topics", you could maybe use the History folder in your browser ??

I have sometimes taken quotes from posts and put them in another topic, a different one to the topic the quote was in originally.
In that case, I just copy my whole post and the URL, and e-mail it to the member I've quoted, in case they miss the mention of their name/opinions.

Or if you have your e-mail programme open, I suppose you could copy and paste the URL for a topic in a blank e-mail, and save the location that way. Then the next day, just click on that, to go straight to the topics you posted in previously.

lightlover
confused.gif
frown.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif

SchneiderDriver

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Or if you have your e-mail programme open, I suppose you could copy and paste the URL for a topic in a blank e-mail, and save the location that way. Then the next day, just click on that, to go straight to the topics you posted in previously.

lightlover
confused.gif
frown.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! All good suggestions. I think the one about posting it into an email message to myself is one I'd use. Actually, I just had another thought. I'll just start a new folder in my favorites, and add any page that I post on to that. Then I can clean out the old ones as I go.

The reason Today's Active Topics won't work great for me is that I can't get online every day. So if someone posts a reply to my post, I might miss it if that was all I was counting on.

joe

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SchneiderDriver:
The light of the righteous shines brightly, but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... maybe this explains why I go through so many light bulbs...
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I agree SchneiderDriver, if there were a new messges since your last login that would be great. I use a bunch of differnt computers so the normal new messages don't work for me. Maybe a new messages since (then you enter a date) would work?

Maybe I am the only one logging in on a bunch of differnt computers, and the view todays topics doesn't work if I checked them at 5pm the day before I loose all the ones from that evening.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

..I think I may have discovered the secret to finding your latest posts; use the "since yesterday" time limit selection, (and use your member number) or the five day, but not the "any date" choice...that may limit what the engine finds to posts months ago - I guess the number of displayed posts is limited, starting from the beginning? Does this work for you?
I haven't tried this using a word search though..yet...

SchneiderDriver

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
..I think I may have discovered the secret to finding your latest posts; use the "since yesterday" time limit selection, (and use your member number) or the five day, but not the "any date" choice...that may limit what the engine finds to posts months ago - I guess the number of displayed posts is limited, starting from the beginning? Does this work for you?
I haven't tried this using a word search though..yet...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted,
I think I follow you. If I do, though, you still have to search each topic individually, right?

My solution is to simply save the page to a "candlepower forums" folder I created in My Favorites. I save the pages I've posted to in there. Then, I can just go through each of them and check for replies. When a topic advances a page, I can just go into the properties of the saved page, and update it so it will load the new page next time.

joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

..yes, still have to search each topic individually..will try 'saving the page' method..thanks.
edit; SchniederDriver, your method works well! so I guess you solved your own problem, mine too. great. thanks again.
grin.gif