dragon lasers, best prices by far

c0ldshadow

Newly Enlightened
check out the prices at http://dragonlasers.com

blows everything else out of the water. they appear to be great lasers too. lots of talk about them on lasercommunity.com. my friend got a 55mw and he can melt plastic with it, and light matches

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice link, nice prices

Sorry for the highjack
my friend got a 55mw and he can melt plastic with it, and light matches
this means using the laser indoors and at short distances, right?
Any kinds of safety equipment necessary?

I am planning some kind of 15-35 mW to improve to my (1st) 5 mW greenie.
Still primary use outdoors is signaling, but what if there is an object nearby when moving the dot? Could the beam reflections hurt?
Having pets chase the dot will also be one use.

Last edited:

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
A lot of people have been making a mess of LC forums about this. A lot of people seem to blame a company like WL for actually making a profit.. Anyways

This is legit though. Not a scam, and based off of my conversations with CNI, this price actually is possible if they buy in large enough quantities (assuming they have a small profit margin). As for quality, that is questionable as I know I've never seen a CNI black/gold perform well at 125mW. You might need to warranty a few times to get a unit close to spec.

Also note, that like WL, the stats on their site like <1.2mRad are bogus unless CNI critically changed their models (I will get in 11 of them direct from CNI soon, so I can check it out then). Cust. serv. also told me that the ratings are outputs tested over 60 seconds. I really cant believe that, unless they had evrything set up for the absolute optimum temperature to be maintained. I can't picture more than 10% of '>125mW' models doing >110mW stable for >60s from what I've seen so far. Also, the 125mW models are likely not 125mW from the start, so I'd not suggets buying anything greater than their 95mW model.

That said, for someone looking for a basic powerful greenie of not the best quality, at the prices this is a VERY good deal.

luvlasers

Enlightened
The best prices so far???

Well see for yourself

Green 532nm laser pointers

wickedlasers dragonlasers
15mW $99.99 $89.99
35mW $159.99 $109.99
55mW $209.99 $139.99
75mW $259.99 $159.99
95mW $369.99 $209.99
125mW $499.99 $269.99

Keep in mind that prices are not everything and that wicked has a long established reputation for service.

As for being a scam, well Dragon is not a scam because they have a number of customers who have already given positive feed back. Some of them are ex wicked customers. If they can go the distance like wicked, that remains to be seen.

On the surface, dragon clearly is the best buy price wise. The other points that are worth considering are customer service (as mentioned), shipping (both shipped from China by courier), product quality (identical stats and design), warrantee and reputation.

If you check out www.dragonlasers.com you can see they have live help. The last time i looked though it was unavailable, could be time difference.

Athoul

Enlightened
Well keep in mind those prices are apparently sale prices, so they may not remain that low. Also Wicked no longer sells the CNI models, from my understanding due to quality issues. The new models that Wicked offers are indeed much more stable then the CNI's. Thus far I've not heard of any not being in spec either. Anyway that being said, WL and DL sell different products, so I dunno about a price war...

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this a "you get what you pay for?" or is this a real bargain for a decent pointer!
would you risk $209 for a 95mw pointer? and if customs conficate the pointer will dragon laser make every attempt to either replace or refund?

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Would these be good lasers to start off with? I've never had a laser before. Should I start with a 5mw or 15mw??? I want to be able to point the stars and show my gf various constellations. I'm not interested in burning or melting anything either. I'd prefer something of good quality that wont break the bank.

Athoul

Enlightened
If you are jsut interested in star pointing, a 15mW laser is really all you need. It will be clearly visible at night, and makes a great laser for pointing out stars. Higher outputs tend to get mixed opinions, some feel they are to bright and take away from the stargazing experience, others feel it reduces your night vision (which if powerful enough would).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just started with a <5 mW greenie.
Even this one has a beam clearly visible at night (city area with much spill light), at cloudy day the dot is visible outdoors for some 30-50 meters,
and You can also use it as a pointer indoors.

As several ppl have mentionned, even a 15 mW will be much too powerful for these "normal" laser uses (pointer, pet trainer, ...)

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Thanks guys for your responses. Another question as I'm searching and researching for a laser is.....how do you know if you are getting a good quality laser pointer?? Should I stick with a certain manufacturer or website??

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
You should buy from a respected seller. Generally speaking, ebay is your worst option, as bad pointers and scams are all too frequent. I'd suggest AtlasNova, Laserglow, Wickedlasers, etc. All part of this comunity and respectable, with good customer support.

Also, 15mw is plenty for starpointing, you won't be disappointed :grin2:. But, if you do buy one of those, don't use it for presentations and pet training/playing. It's too powrfull for that.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Thanks jkaiser :)! I'm most likely going to get a 5mw (to play with the cats and indoor use) and a 15mw (star pointing).