Socal CPFers, Any ideas for a weekend getaway ?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if any of you guys know of a small and inexpensive ($100-$200) vacation spot under about 2-3hrs of driving? Just need some time with the GF to relax, hang out, and see what else is in this state ( Huell Howswer style )
Thanks

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I assume that is 2-3 Hrs from where you are?
smile.gif

And does the $100-200 include gas money? Price just jumped .10 to $1.599 here.

InTheDark

Enlightened

Greta

Flashaholic
It's a couple hours more of a drive but it's a nice area... Lake Havasu City, AZ. You can see the London Bridge and go another hour down the road to the Parker Dam. It's a desert but right now it's actually green!
grin.gif

InTheDark

Enlightened
Hmm...if you're gonna go to Arizona, there's a flashlight manufacturer over that you should go visit. Dunno how happy your girlfriend would be using her vacation time to look at flashlights.

The trails are mostly for stock SUV's, but most of them seem to be just dirt roads, 4x4 not required, but high clearance vehicles are recommended. Not until you get to the more challenging ones is 4wd required. I went with a friend in his stock tacoma once, and the only reason we needed 4wd was because there was deep snow at the time. Without snow, almost any car can make it.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
There is a spot north of San Diego called "Black's Beach" where I understand you can let it ALL hang out!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Or just going to Coronado Island off San Diego. Its a wonderful, relaxing trip away form it all, but just cross the bridge and you're in SD!

We don't even bother staying in SD anymore. We just go to Coronado.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
V8TOYOTATRK,

All the others are thinking car travel. Take Amtrak. They are always running specials. Santa Barbara from O.C. can be had for less than $50 RT for two tickets.

Chicks dig the choo-choo. You get to see the country from a new perspective, especially if you sit in the upper deck. You don't need to hassle with driving, you get quality time with her and you'll still have big bucks to spend once you're there.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Try Anza-Borrego State Park. It's a desert park and winter is the best time to see it. There's a variety of dirt roads for 2x's. You can camp in established campgrounds for small fee or camp for free in the open desert backcountry.

Here's a little Hewell style (I'm a huge fan of his) history in the area. Check out Military Wash (2x's with high clearance are O.K.)where U.S. troops had desert training for the invasion of North Africa in WWII. The area is still covered with 1000's of spent .50 and .30 cal bullets and some casings. And there are some blown out bunkers.