Chinese Market surprise...

bengazzara

Banned
No, not that kind of surprise (insert joke here)

Anyway I had to get some supplies from a local Oriental Market and they sell lots of other stuff besides food. What do I see when I look over on the shelf...remember those "King's Crown" air freshener's that were popular a long time ago? Yeah those, they a bunch BRAND NEW in the packages. I nearly pissed myself laughing and no I didn't purchase any.

Just thought I'd share.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could say it is because it is before my time and that is why I don't understand, but unfortunately there's not much after WW II that's 'before my time'. Sooooo .... maybe I've just led a sheltered life, but I really don't understand what you're referring to. Would you mind elaborating a bit?

bengazzara

Banned
Maybe I was a little vague but for those of you that will know exactly what I'm talking about will surely take a trip down memory lane...you know you had one.

It's basically a gold "crown", think Burger King, and it is about the size of a coffee mug. There was liquid inside that was suppose to smell good and most people put them on their dashboard.

I tried a Google and ebay but couldn't find one, I may just go back this week and pick one up.

Im sorry you've lived a sheltered life.:lolsign:

dfred

Enlightened
I think this is what is being discussed:

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/crown.asp

It was sort of a fad for a while in some parts of the US -- I was in SE Michigan at the time.

I do remember starting to see them in *lots* of cars and wondered what they were about. Not initially realizing they were just air-freshners, it was tempting to speculatively attribute all sorts of meanings to them.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
:lolsign: whatever next will folks think of to stick on the dashboard..
plain ugly if you ask me.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't really say as they ring a bell, maybe they just never made it out to the West Coast or I just lived in the wrong neighborhoods.

You mentioned that you found this in an Asian Market. Is this one of the Asian supermarket chains or a local store?

bengazzara said:
Maybe I was a little vague but for those of you that will know exactly what I'm talking about will surely take a trip down memory lane...you know you had one.

It's basically a gold "crown", think Burger King, and it is about the size of a coffee mug. There was liquid inside that was suppose to smell good and most people put them on their dashboard.

I tried a Google and ebay but couldn't find one, I may just go back this week and pick one up.

Im sorry you've lived a sheltered life.:lolsign:

Thanks for the link to the image. Based upon your link, it doesn't sound like you were the only one that imagining different associations to assign to them. ;)

dfred said:
I think this is what is being discussed:

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/crown.asp

It was sort of a fad for a while in some parts of the US -- I was in SE Michigan at the time.

I do remember starting to see them in *lots* of cars and wondered what they were about. Not initially realizing they were just air-freshners, it was tempting to speculatively attribute all sorts of meanings to them.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess those were before my time, because I've never seen them. I actually think they're pretty cool! I wouldn't put one in my car, but I think it'd be fine in "my" 1980 Dodge Ram D50. (it's actually my dad's, but I'm the one that uses it...so I call it "my" truck.)