10 year old SONY TRINITRON TV went out, Get new one? or Repair?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering, since we have so many techies on this site, if I should spend the money to repair the TV, or to just get a new one. Or live with out a TV all together and buy that McColluch HID light.

The TV, which seems to have some life in it, still looks new, thanks to 303 Protectant. But when I turn it on, I can hear the relays or whatever inside turn on, but I don't get a picture, or even the graphics. No static on the screen either. It just makes a switching noise, could it be the tube? I know it is hard to guess whats wrong with that description, but if you had experience with this before, I would appreciate you sharing your experiences.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For starters...
Take off the back, and use a suicide cord to power the set. Turn it on, wait a bit, and see if there is a dull yellow glow at the base of the neck of the picture tube. You may have to turn off the room lights to see it. If so, we know it's getting at least some power.
Try turning the volume up and changing channels and see if you hear anything out of the speakers.

If the neck of the picture tube is cold and dead, check for a fuse or circuit breaker, and replace/reset. The sound of relays clicking on and off whene you turn the set on and off indicates there is some power; but if the filament in the picture tube does not light, there could be a broken circuit between the relay and the power supply (B+). This could be as easy as a fuse or pop-up circuit breaker.

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
I myself am not aware of the following, so this will be informative for me too, but is there not some pretty high voltage running around the internals of a TV? I like the ideas offered by LED Museum, I would like to know what I should stay clear of if I were performing these troubleshooting measures.

Brock

Flashaholic
Be very careful inside a TV. They hold a charge for quite some time, even up to year at really hi voltages, like 24,000. You might just be able to see the tube right through the back of the set. I would open it and look for a fuse or circuit breaker near the incoming power, just be careful

If that isn't it you will probably spend over 150 having it fixed if it is something small, if it is the tube you would be much better off getting a new set.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
did the set play well before it quit?
if it was bright and clear with good color and gray scale tracking (able to make a black and white image that is not tinted some color)it is definately worth it.
too bad you are not in ohio.
i service all types of electronic stuff at my shop in dayton.
if you can solder and read instructions you may be able to fix it yourself.
sonys of this vintage have switchmode power supplys that blow up when a vdr fails or the h.o.t shorts.
so common that parts places such as suburban have a parts kit.fix the bad solder joints in the horiz.out and driver section and install the kit.
about 90% effective.