• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A19 CREE XR-E - reflector slightly loose.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I noticed that the reflector is able to move around a bit
when the A19 head is unscrewed from the battery tube.

Looks like the O-ring that surrounds the reflector is not
thick enough to hold it in place or to provide a watertight seal.

Does anyone else notice this too?

ianb

Enlightened
I have one of these on the way, are you able to get in the head to replace the o-ring with a larger one?
I guess the excitement about these there may lead to these small teething problems.

Ian

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne is building these so he knows more about the assembly than I do but the window seal is independent of the reflector. The reflector advances through the O-ring and seats against the window itself. If the LE is loose then the reflector itself will be loose as well. You can snug the reflector in the head by putting an O-ring on the second step of the reflector to give it some interference with the bore in the head.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
It was mentioned in one of the other threads that Wayne noticed some rings in the beam which Don thought might be a trick of the eye. Wayne was correcting this in the current batch of lights by unscrewing the LE a quarter turn . Based on Don's post above, this would then loosen the reflector. Sounds like the reflector might need to be shimmed back a bit somehow (??).

Charles

McGizmo

Flashaholic
lotsalumens,
Good catch! If the LE is backed off and the reflector is not secured by some manner, it will be loose and can even **** off to one side of the LED. :thinking: :shrug:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel ring only holds the lens down.

The reflector is loaded from the backside and held in place by the LE.

backing off the LE will no longer hold the reflector in tight. I've played around with the light some more and found that you can move the reflector relative to the LED/LE and thus affect the centering of the LED to the reflector.

If you play with this you can center the LED and get the LE secured in place.

This may help the rings that are being seen. What we are seeing with the builds is that some have the rings more prominate than others and we can't determine what causes this. It's not due to the LED off center... Not due to the LED flush with the reflector...

I'm currently baffled by this. This really is only an issue for the white wall hunters.

-Wayne

paxxus

Enlightened
Is it possible to glue on a thin spacer at the narrow end of the reflector such that the LED is moved further back (corresponding to 1/4 turn of the LE) while at the same time keeping the reflector tightly in place. Maybe some thick tape is all that's needed. Simple fix, if possible. Just a thought...

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Light Engine holds the reflector in place as the reflector is loaded from the rear and the light engine is what retains the reflector. The reflector being loose doesn't affect the water tightness as one would think. The water seal is the bezel ring, lens and oring at the top and if that is tight it's waterproof.

If the reflector is loose... Tighten the Light engine back up. That's normal for the complete Aleph line. The Light Engine can be swapped, replaced or changed by unscrewing it... That also means it can work itself loose.

-Wayne

easilyled said:
I noticed that the reflector is able to move around a bit
when the A19 head is unscrewed from the battery tube.

Looks like the O-ring that surrounds the reflector is not
thick enough to hold it in place or to provide a watertight seal.

Does anyone else notice this too?

*Retired*
dat2zip said:
The bezel ring only holds the lens down.

The reflector is loaded from the backside and held in place by the LE.

backing off the LE will no longer hold the reflector in tight. I've played around with the light some more and found that you can move the reflector relative to the LED/LE and thus affect the centering of the LED to the reflector.

If you play with this you can center the LED and get the LE secured in place.

This may help the rings that are being seen. What we are seeing with the builds is that some have the rings more prominate than others and we can't determine what causes this. It's not due to the LED off center... Not due to the LED flush with the reflector...

I'm currently baffled by this. This really is only an issue for the white wall hunters.

-Wayne

Is this ring issue fixed? I don't see it in my A19.