Nyogel question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
Nyogel for Surefire U2 O-ring & elect switches

Nyogel for Surefire U2 O-rings & electrical switches

7779ZC silica based for aluminum surfaces with dampening for all Surefire O-rings.

759G for tin/lead electrical surfaces for all surefire electrical switches.

Edit: Surefire says to use a di-electric or conductive, non mineral, silicon based grease.

959G is a silcon based conductive grease and is the correct grease for U2's selector O-ring

application instructions:

1. take plastic tooth pick and clean out gap between plastic selector ring and aluminum body.
2. smear 959G into gap with toothpick, try to force in best you can.
3. repeat on the other side.
4. clean extra grease off and place light into your pocket.
for min 30 minutes to warm grease.

grease is too heavy to penatrate small gap. after light warms up in your pocket, 959G will soften up and penatrate to o-ring.

result is selector ring turns butter smooth. not too soft nor too hard. perfect for one hand operation.

779zc.jpg

759g.jpg

udaman

Banned
Re: Nyogel for Surefire seals & electrical switches

Cy,

I am confused, the point of your post is what?
Do you wish to discuss this product, or what is it that you are trying to inform us of? Size15's has already mentioned the 759G in another thread on Silicone grease for SureFire flashights and dano mentioned the aluminum additives, I have already supplied information on cost and availability from Nye Lubricants' small order distributor in the USA-TAI Lubricants. These greases will work for any flashlight.

Did you see my post here?

Electrical Contact Grease

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Nyogel for Surefire seals & electrical switche

759G is for tin/lead electrical contacts

and no I didn't read your post for electrical contact grease. because I needed lube for U2's oring.

there were people wanting to know the correct lube for U2's sometime sticky selector ring.

I sure don't want to put the wrong lube in my U2. kinda hard to take apart if wrong.

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
759G is for tin/lead electrical contacts

and no I didn't read your post for electrical contact grease. because I needed lube for U2's oring.

there were people wanting to know the correct lube for U2's sometime sticky selector ring.

I sure don't want to put the wrong lube in my U2. kinda hard to take apart if wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the lube is synthetic based then my choice of mobil 1 oil should fine I am guessing.

cy

Flashaholic

Just wanted to state reason I started this thread was so this info for U2 owners would not get buried in the U2 lumens thread.

Also I refuse to post anything further in the lumens thread. the lumens issue has been beat to death. not many can measure flux anyways.

Surefire recommended a non migrating silicon based lubricant (grease)

the Nyogel engineer said silicon and non migrating was an oxymoron.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I have been advised to use NyoGel 759G on all threads (and therefore o-rings) that are at or close to electrical contacts (ie: TailCap threads).

I have both. I don't see any point in using the 779ZC for bezel threads only.

P49.jpg

I've not needed to lube the dials of the U2's I have. I'm not sure how I'd go about lubing the dial. I've once rinced one of the U2's I have under warm water to clean off some wet mud (when I dropped the U2).

Al

cy

Flashaholic

My U2's selector o-ring squeals.

Since I've got both types enroute. I'm going to use 779ZC on the selector ring and 959G on the tailcap.

it can't hurt using the Nyogel for specific application it was designed for.

rycen

Enlightened

How are you going to get the lube inside the ring?

cy

Flashaholic

with a pick, going to place a dab of gel in the groove where O-ring is and work it in.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
My U2's selector o-ring squeals.

Since I've got both types enroute. I'm going to use 779ZC on the selector ring and 959G on the tailcap.

it can't hurt using the Nyogel for specific application it was designed for.

[/ QUOTE ]
cy:

I have both on order too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used a silicone based grease made by CRC for automotive connectors on my U2 bezel head. I don't know which one, either the grease SF used or mine is forming small balls on the shoulder/ledge of the powerpack. I've been using this grease for some time but never seen this happen before the U2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I was using Nyogel on my builds but noticed that it (the amber stuff) likes to gum up and thickens after a while. I have since gone to a "pure" silicone grease that seems to work much better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif The problem with "sticky" lubes used in areas that you can't access is that they like to grab dirt and crap and hang on to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since the U2's seal is not accessible for cleaning and maintenance I would think excess lube could work against you in the long run. 3M and other companies make a "dry" silicone lube that has a volitile vehicle and after evaporating, the dry silicone ball bearings are in place to reduce friction but don't attract dirt. Without knowing the material of the O-ring or the solvents used, I am concerned about this type of dry lubrication and I am not sure it would help protect the O-ring if it is buna or nitrile which can be subject to Ozone degradation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

There is a silicone treatment that is used on neoprene products for protecting them called Aquaseal Silicone Pump that is very viscous and would easily work into the area needed on the U2. I don't think it would be near as gummy as the heavier viscosity greases we are used to.

There was a lube called McLube that hit the sailing industry like a storm shortly before I left. They have some outstanding dry lubes that worked well and noticibly in the nasty salt water environment. Because they were dry and repelled moisture without attracting dirt and grime, they had a lot going for them!

It seems to me that on the seals you want two things: Low friction and protection of the seal itself. You do not want any gunk that will attract and grab dirt or other abrassive particles and bind them into the program! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

It seems to me that this is an area where we could all gain from some expert advise and comments!!

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
with a pick, going to place a dab of gel in the groove where O-ring is and work it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

From experience in this area..... I'd suggest heating the grease and trying it in a liquid state. I think you will have very little luck while it is solid.

cy

Flashaholic

tuf-glide looks good, but surefire spec'd a silcone non-migrating lube

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
cy:

It's not silicone but if it dries out, it can't migrate, right? I have this stuff with the needle-like applicator. I got mine through the mail but was told that Gander Mountain sell their products.

Your adjusting ring squeaks on your U2, it being a liquid plus the needle-like applicator might help. Or you want me to see if I can screw mine up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It might be going back to SF for other reasons that I can't mention in this thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
cy:

It's not silicone but if it dries out, it can't migrate, right? I have this stuff with the needle-like applicator. I got mine through the mail but was told that Gander Mountain sell their products.

Your adjusting ring squeaks on your U2, it being a liquid plus the needle-like applicator might help. Or you want me to see if I can screw mine up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It might be going back to SF for other reasons that I can't mention in this thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigger question is: should they be squeaking while they're this new? I can understand mine (packed with silty mud), but I hazard to guess that most of these only see desk duty.

cy

Flashaholic

Ok, after speaking with Surefire again. on U2's selector ring they want you to use a silicon based, non mineral, di-electric or conductive grease.

and yes different customer service rep's tell you different things. 959G is conductive grease, so I went that.

I took a plastic tooth pick, carefully cleaned out the small gap between plastic selector and aluminum head.

Then I carefully smeared 959G into the crack with the toothpick the best I could. repeat for the other side.

At first I was disapointed, the slot was so small I couldn't get any grease into the seals. the selector was hard to use as ever.

I put the light away into my pocket. 30 minutes later after getting heated by my body. the 959G nyogel had penatrated the orings.

the selector ring now feel butter smooth. perfect!! not too loose, not too tight. just right. I can operate selector ring one handed.

happy ending...

959g.JPG

Flashlight Enthusiast
NyoGel

Got some NyoGel from LightHound.

Great service by the way, very good company to order from my opinion says.

Anyway.

My questions.

Formula 759G....should this be used only on the threads of the flashlights?

Formula 779ZC....should this be used only on the o-rings?

Other than weight (ZC being thicker than G), what other differences exist between the formulas? Finally, how are you all using them, 759G for some parts of a flashlight and 779ZC for other parts? Which parts?

nethiker

Enlightened
Re: NyoGel

Hey 357,

I just ordered some Nyogel as well from Lighthound. I found them great to do business too. Very fast shipping, and he included a little keychain light in my package as a free gift. Nice touch. As far as your questions about lube, I found this thread here helpful.

Greg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NyoGel

Personally I use the 759G on threads and O-rings. No harm, no foul - in more than six months of usage my Surefires have yet to witness any ill effects.

759G is conductive, it aids conduction but it does not cause any ill effects when applied to non-conductive surfaces.

Kudos to lighthound.com for helping us get these. I bought a lifetime supply, the biggest tube he had. The best lights on earth deserve the best I can get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.