PEAK

Thread: Emergency Household Lantern for when power goes out?

Default Emergency Household Lantern for when power goes out?

Looking for suggestions for a "power's out at home" lantern that's bright enough to put on the kitchen table and read a newspaper by. -- Sort of an electric Coleman lantern.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Bigger is Better but Brighter is Best! Fenix: L2T, E1, P1, TK75; WolfEyes Rattlesnake M90-13V, 9AX; EagleTac M3C4, Xeno F7v6+Nichia219, TrustFire: X2, TF-R2; Spark SD6, Mag85, 2.35x10⁹ Lux Scorcher

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Default Re: Emergency Household Lantern for when power goes out?

First....could you please reduce the size of your sig so we don't have to scroll ro read links?

Take a look at the Osram Camping Light at lighthound.com
    Bright...Small...Long Runtime.......You can have any two but NOT all three!

Flashaholic

I have a Coleman retro rechargeable with compact fl bulb that fills the bill nicely. I have only seen it at BJ's Wholesale, but I'm sure it's on the internet.

Both the Osram and the RiverRock are excellent LED lanterns. I would guess, though, a CFL lantern would put out more lumens but have less run time. I'd stay away from the non Osram and RR brand name LED lanterns. They don't have the output.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Hello craigsharrow

In this case, I'll use besides my Osram lantern the reflective beacon of "Barbolights". It fits every light with a head diameter of a little more than 3cm and is really useful.

Best regards

____
    Tom
    It's cheaper to get a high quality light than spending money for many cheap lights.

I'd use my little Eveready folding camplight, about $8 at Target and 200 hour battery
    life. Once your eyes get adapted it's plenty bright to read by.
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Flashaholic*

"Emergency" by it's very name tends to imply that it may not get used often, but needs to be fairly reliable when you do need it. For compact versions, I'd think the Osram and River Rock would be popular. For a bit larger lantern, one of my favorites for this purpose is the GE Steelcase flourescents from Costco (~$15).

Of course if you really really need bright bright light you could use a propane Coleman lantern but I'm sure there would be all sorts of warnings and caveats that people might post. ... and it's not a good idea during the colder months anyway since you do need ventilation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by craigsharrow
    Looking for suggestions for a "power's out at home" lantern that's bright enough to put on the kitchen table and read a newspaper by. -- Sort of an electric Coleman lantern.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Flashaholic*

I have, and my wifeand I have bought all of our close relatives the Sportsmans Guide lantern. We have the original 20 LED model, and all the relatives have the newer 30 LEd models. They all work great, have gone through numerous power ourages with them. The newer models are abitnicer as they have two levels of brightness available. Plus they have a new nicer looking models that looks like a silver German Petromax lantern and the old fashioned keroscene lamps.

http://shop2.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=290952

http://shop2.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=196421

Looking I see they must be out of the silver one, but there are links and pictures of the others. They do work very nicely and provide plenty of light.
    Last edited by Lee1959; 11-03-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Down the street from Cree HQ in Durham, NC

+1 for the GE Steelcase flourescents from Costco (~$15). Also, candles work really well on the dinner table and give off a nice romantic light. Five of them together give off enough light to cook by.
    My favorite flashohol suppliers are: AW, FiveMega, NailBender, MalkoffDevices, 4Sevens, GoingGear, BatteryStation, EDCplus, SBflashlights, TacticalSupply, LightHound, and Action-Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by BigusLightus
    Also, candles work really well on the dinner table and give off a nice romantic light. Five of them together give off enough light to cook by.
    Ahhhh......yes, we are at Candle Power Forums

Best regards

____
    Tom
    It's cheaper to get a high quality light than spending money for many cheap lights.

Energizer Folding Fluorescent Lantern, now with Amber LED nightlight so you can easily locate it in the dark. Fluorescent will give you more flood and softer light than LED lanterns. 40 hours runtime with one tube, 20 hours with two tubes.

($18 from REI)

http://www.rei.com/product/4875565.htm
    Last edited by dchao; 11-03-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    Energizer Folding Fluorescent Lantern, now with Amber LED nightlight so you can easily locate it in the dark. Fluorescent will give you more flood and softer light than LED lanterns. 40 hours runtime with one tube, 20 hours with two tubes.

($18 from REI)

http://www.rei.com/product/4875565.htm
    That's my favorite: the Energizer FL450.
    The reflective background and the telescoping bulbcase are great.
    The amber LED is a dim nightlight/findme that must run forever on 4 D's.
    Home Depot also sells it. It's a solid performer and great value.
    I have one for every bedroom and I've given many as gifts.

W.
    Current EDC: SF-T1A + SAK MiniChamp
    Arc(AAA-P), SF(M6, U2, A2), Photon Freedom, Petzl-Zipka+, PeliLite-2C (c1980 first good light)