Emergency Household Lantern for when power goes out?

DogLeg

Newly Enlightened
Looking for suggestions for a "power's out at home" lantern that's bright enough to put on the kitchen table and read a newspaper by. -- Sort of an electric Coleman lantern.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
First....could you please reduce the size of your sig so we don't have to scroll ro read links?

Take a look at the Osram Camping Light at lighthound.com

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coleman retro rechargeable with compact fl bulb that fills the bill nicely. I have only seen it at BJ's Wholesale, but I'm sure it's on the internet.

BVH

Flashaholic
Both the Osram and the RiverRock are excellent LED lanterns. I would guess, though, a CFL lantern would put out more lumens but have less run time. I'd stay away from the non Osram and RR brand name LED lanterns. They don't have the output.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello craigsharrow:)

In this case, I'll use besides my Osram lantern the reflective beacon of "Barbolights". It fits every light with a head diameter of a little more than 3cm and is really useful.

Best regards

____
Tom

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd use my little Eveready folding camplight, about $8 at Target and 200 hour battery
life. Once your eyes get adapted it's plenty bright to read by.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Emergency" by it's very name tends to imply that it may not get used often, but needs to be fairly reliable when you do need it. For compact versions, I'd think the Osram and River Rock would be popular. For a bit larger lantern, one of my favorites for this purpose is the GE Steelcase flourescents from Costco (~$15).

Of course if you really really need bright bright light you could use a propane Coleman lantern but I'm sure there would be all sorts of warnings and caveats that people might post. ... and it's not a good idea during the colder months anyway since you do need ventilation for that.

craigsharrow said:
Looking for suggestions for a "power's out at home" lantern that's bright enough to put on the kitchen table and read a newspaper by. -- Sort of an electric Coleman lantern.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have, and my wifeand I have bought all of our close relatives the Sportsmans Guide lantern. We have the original 20 LED model, and all the relatives have the newer 30 LEd models. They all work great, have gone through numerous power ourages with them. The newer models are abitnicer as they have two levels of brightness available. Plus they have a new nicer looking models that looks like a silver German Petromax lantern and the old fashioned keroscene lamps.

http://shop2.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=290952

http://shop2.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=196421

Looking I see they must be out of the silver one, but there are links and pictures of the others. They do work very nicely and provide plenty of light.

Last edited:
+1 for the GE Steelcase flourescents from Costco (~$15). Also, candles work really well on the dinner table and give off a nice romantic light. Five of them together give off enough light to cook by.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigusLightus said:
Also, candles work really well on the dinner table and give off a nice romantic light. Five of them together give off enough light to cook by.

Ahhhh......yes, we are at Candle Power Forums:lolsign:

Best regards

____
Tom

dchao

Enlightened
Energizer Folding Fluorescent Lantern, now with Amber LED nightlight so you can easily locate it in the dark. Fluorescent will give you more flood and softer light than LED lanterns. 40 hours runtime with one tube, 20 hours with two tubes.

($18 from REI)

http://www.rei.com/product/4875565.htm

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
dchao said:
Energizer Folding Fluorescent Lantern, now with Amber LED nightlight so you can easily locate it in the dark. Fluorescent will give you more flood and softer light than LED lanterns. 40 hours runtime with one tube, 20 hours with two tubes.

($18 from REI)

http://www.rei.com/product/4875565.htm

That's my favorite: the Energizer FL450.
The reflective background and the telescoping bulbcase are great.
The amber LED is a dim nightlight/findme that must run forever on 4 D's.
Home Depot also sells it. It's a solid performer and great value.
I have one for every bedroom and I've given many as gifts.

W.