Best, Obscure, Light you know of.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Before discovering this forum, I bought a Brinkmann Maxfire LX and a River Rock 2AAA at Target. These lights are great, and inexpensive. I also thought they were obscure. Now I know better.

However, I'm curious as to which lights really are obscure.... Mostly because I'm looking for new ones to add to my humble, but growing, collection. So please share! :grin2:

JimmyB

Enlightened
I'm not quite sure what you mean by obscure but you can rest assured that most any custom light you see on this forum is virtually unheard of outside this site and a few others. If you showed a co-worker a McLux lll PD, they'd have likely never heard of the light and probably want to know if you got fries with it.

As far as production lights, most people outside of the "hobby" world know little beyond your typical Rayovac or Maglite. There are quite a few "obscure" Chinese manufactured lights out there, though many are just relabeled from the same factories.

If you're looking for obscure or rare lights on CPF, you're probably gonna have to pony up some serious change if you want to add them to your collection. The good thing here is that there is a whole range of collectors. Some think nothing of spending a few hundred dollars a week on custom/limited run lights. Others collect some of the least expensive lights on the market which have some variation available.

I'm not sure I really answered your question but the more time you spend here reading, the more you'll understand on your own.

Have a good one.....:)

Monocrom said:
Before discovering this forum, I bought a Brinkmann Maxfire LX and a River Rock 2AAA at Target. These lights are great, and inexpensive. I also thought they were obscure. Now I know better.

However, I'm curious as to which lights really are obscure.... Mostly because I'm looking for new ones to add to my humble, but growing, collection. So please share! :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Possibly my most obscure light is the Shorelite Vx-1. This is a 1 AAA, 4 level, single LED. Got it from GlowBug almost four years ago. Not sure if it's still available there. The beam is very blotchy and blue, but with a little tape over the lens it's much more usable. It really is pretty unique. I believe the electronics are fairly sophisticated, with good regulation, and something other than PWM for dimming. There is even a big brother that uses a single AA and has two LEDs.

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
Not quite sure if this qualifies, but . . . .

A plain ol' military-style 2-D crookneck flashlight

becomes suddenly a whole LOT more USEFUL

when you install a SMJLED-PR2 replacement bulb.

Everyone knows about the military crooklight,

but the SMJLED-PR2 is truly obscure in the "Real World".

(that is . . . . , the non-CPF world)
grinser2.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You want obscure? Back in the late 70's/early 80's Rayovac had an Aluminum 3D similar to a M*glite.

These had modular construction, and you could make a 6D from two of them. I've never seen any other reference to it than what I've posted in the past.

Godd Luck however in FINDING one!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc LS lights, Jil Lites, Orb Raw, Mr. Bulk lights are all fairly limited runs, McLux lights - lots of lights like this should fit your 'obscure' category. Many are hard to get or limited and won't be found in any brick and mortar stores much less Target or the likes. Anything in Titanium, Silver, Damascus and so on is even more rare. Rare metal flashlights tend be be high dollar though... even for us flashaholics.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
MayCooper said:
Obscure? Surefire & streamlight are pretty obscure here in NL :)

I guess "obscure" is a relative term.
Glad to see you're not too upset by that situation.

kevinm

Enlightened
Though a couple have popped up on eBay, the Triton P1 is unknown outside these pages and the 3 watt version appears to be impossible to find.

There's also a whole bunch of CPF edition lights.

Kevin

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
You want obscure? Back in the late 70's/early 80's Rayovac had an Aluminum 3D similar to a M*glite.

These had modular construction, and you could make a 6D from two of them. I've never seen any other reference to it than what I've posted in the past.

Godd Luck however in FINDING one!

I had a Brinkmann that was a 5d that broke up into a 3d and a 2d. Not sure where it is anymore though, might have to look for it.:thinking:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
woodasptim said:
I had a Brinkmann that was a 5d that broke up into a 3d and a 2d. Not sure where it is anymore though, might have to look for it.:thinking:

Hmm.... Was that one light that you could change into a 3D and 2D for storage or transportation, or did it come with a spare bezel so you could convert it into 2 shorter lights?

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
It has 2 barrels, a 3d and a 2d, 1 bezel/switch, and a tailcap. So you could run it as a 2d/3d/or 5d depending on what your needs were. I don't remember the brightness being much of an issue, just runtime, but that was like 13 years ago so I may be mistaken. I'll have to see if I can find it, it's probably in a box somewhere at my parents house.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have one of those Brinkmann 2-3-5D lights too. I have it set up as an 6AA 4 cell Frosted Krypton bulb light at this time.

At one time I seriously wanted a 6D M*g. But lately my longest light is a Streamlight Excalibre 5D (with 6NimH C and a WA01111 in a bi-pin adapter). It's the only light that has an even somewhat pleasing beam with the 1111.

The Excalibre is rather obscure too....

I have one 4D M*g and everything else is 3D M*g or less...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
The Excalibre is rather obscure too....

I have one 4D and everything else is 3 or less...

If it's possible, got any.....:kewlpics: