My Fun, Fun Day! :-/

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Saturday was one of the most screwed up days I've ever had. Let's see if I can run this down again - I spent an hour typing this post only to watch Windows clear the box for no apparent reason. So here it goes again.
tongue.gif

I got off to a sour start right away. On Friday night, I set my alarm clock to go off just before 8am so I could catch the new Digimon episode. I wake up and look at the clock - it's 8:29. The alarm lever is still sticking up, but no alarm is going off. The little alarm hand is pointing to just before 8, exactly as it should. Damn POS travel clock. So I missed my show.
That's strike 1.

Half an hour or so later, I go online and start going through CPF. Somebody wanted a picture of a flashlight, so I start setting up. I hear a crunching sound under the wheels of my work chair. Damn, I just ran over my yardstick and busted it. That's strike 2. And that was my only yardstick.

A bit later I go to sit on the can, and SNAP!! there goes the toilet seat! Strike 3. And it's only 10 O'clock in the morning.

Around 1pm, I go to check the mail, and find I'd forgotten to charge my wheelchair up the night before. And when I went to take my Metamucil, I knocked the can over before getting the lid screwed back on, and half of it ended up in the sink. That sh*t ain't cheap either. :x

Around 3 or so, while at the computer, somehow the arm of my chair got wrapped up in my camera's power cord, yanking it out. Getting past the SYSTEM ERROR message takes about two hours, but it is once again able to take blurry pictures. (See the other thread about camera recommendations for why this is so bad).

Now it's around 6 or 7. I'm on CPF again, and I read a post that adamantly stated I should have reformatted my HD before installing Windows 98, and that the cause of my connectivity problems would almost certainly go away like a bad dream if I did.
So I thought about it for awhile, and figured it was a lot cheaper than buying a new mainboard. So I log off the net, and start modifying a boot disk in preparation for the latest setup attempt. By now, it's around quarter to eight.

This should be simple. Swap the cables between the primary and secondary masters, and run setup. But what's this? BIOS no longer sees the secondary master OR the CD-ROM. Plug cable in. Unplug. Plug it in. Check the connection at the mainboard. Unplug, check the polarity. DAMN I just bent a pin on my soon-to-be "former" C: drive. Fixed that, still the BIOS doesn't see them. An hour later, the source of the problem surfaces: the power connector had somehow gotten switched to a dummy connector that had no termination - and hence, the drives had no power. What a time waster. After plugging them into a live one, the system sprang to life and booted off the floppy.
A:> F:\
INVALID DRIVE SPECIFICATION
A:>

What am I up to now, like Strike 10?

Now I grab the system init files & CD-ROM drivers and plop them directly onto the floppy, and edit the files yet again so the CD-ROM will load properly off the boot disk. Finally, the Windows setup comes up, and the install progresses.
Half an hour later, Windows 98 is up. It's in 16 colors, on a 640x400 screen, and thre's no sound. Almost all of the devices in the device manager have that evil yellow circle with a "!" in it.
I drop to DOS and try Telix. No modem either. Enabling it in Windows kills the mouse. After f**king with the thing for another half an hour, I figure the only way I'm going to get it to work is to find & run the CD-ROM that came with the mainboard.

So off I go. I go through two dozen boxes in the livng room, and then tear apart the closets and go through more boxes. Nothing. Bedroom closet - nothing. Boxes and dressers in the bathroom - nothing.
Huge pile of boxes in the bedroom - still nothing. By now, I've been searching for almost four hours, and my patience has run out. I keep checking shelves, drawers, bags, and boxes. By now, I'm absolutely livid. Anything that's in the way is slammed, phones and books are thrown across the room, and boxes are kicked out of the way. Finally, there's only one more BIG box left, and it's buried in the deepest abyss of the room and hasn't even been seen in almost a year. And you guessed it - that's where it turned up.

So I put the CD in, and the setup runs. Nearly a dozen "devices" are found and drivers loaded for them, rebooting the system after almost every one. Finally, Windows comes up and the setup screen doesn't. That means it's ready. So I dig up the AT&T connection service and have it restore my account from the server. This is when the next problem makes itself known: after connecting, it loaded up IE. But it wasn't the IE that was on here before - the damn thing actually downgraded from 5.5 to 4.0, taking all of my bookmarks, cookies, preferences, and login scrips along for the ride. But it works, and typing in "www.candlepowerforums.com" brings up the correct page.

Next, I tried to bring up Netscape. Interestingly enough, it loaded, and my email was still intact. But all of its settings were hosed, and I needed to go in and fix my incoming mail host. So I click on Edit then Preferences. HELL DAMN CRAP, CRAP BOOBS CRAP!! It says the preferences DLLs are hosed, and I'd have to reinstall it from the beginning. Now I'm slamming coffee cups, pens, stacks of papers, flashlights - anything that falls in my way. I haven't been so pissed in a long time.
mad.gif

So I sign off, and start examining my system to see what other damage has been done.

Photoshop was hosed. FTP was shot. Gomer is missing a runtime module. All my web material vanished. I have no image viewer anymore.
Let's see, where am I? Strike 27 or so?

Eventually, I was able to rescue Photoshop and FTP, and I downloaded the VBRUN300.DLL needed by Gomer. At least the important stuff is back. Now I go back online, and see somebody has asked for a picture of three flashlights together, and the hunt is on yet once again, as the camera's install CD has apparently grown legs and walked away. My search is confined to this room, as I just had the disc a few days ago and I know it isn't in a closet or one of the other rooms. But it would still be nearly an hour before it turns up. It was right on my desk all along, tucked safely in a hard-sided folio with my other system disks.
tongue.gif

By now, I'm white hot with rage. I grab a cane and start beating the living tweedle out of a box, and keep beating it until the cane breaks in two. This definitely relieved some of the stress that had been building up over the last six or eight hours.

After a few glitches, the software is in, and the camera neatly unloads into the computer with no damn floppies to screw with.

To top my day off, I spent about 55 minutes typing this message, and just as I was finishing up (right around this point, actually), the box I'm typing into suddenly clears - all the text is gone!! Why did the box clear itself? That's like Strike 37 or so. Aren't you supposed to be out after 3 strikes?

I've been up for almost 21 hours now, and I still have a lot to get taken care of on this computer. Thank goodness I don't have to be awake for package deliveries today. I can sleep in until noon with no consequences.

So... how was your Saturday?

(Edit): It's around quarter after five. Netscape finally finished downloading, and it actually restored my old mail settings - so I guess you can take one of those strikes off.
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the computer situation is a helluva learning experience, isn't it. I've been there before.

You can use your second drive for storage to make life easier should the need arise to format and reload again. That's what I do. I keep the latest version of all my drivers there, such as sound, video and modem drivers. I generally use current or fairly current versions of these drivers, downloaded from the net as opposed to the original installation cds. I also run and store my email (Eudura) entirely from the second drive so that is never affected by reformatting. Also once I had a bigger drive, I copied the win98 cd onto the second drive in it's own folder so I could load it straight from the hard drive. Much faster to load then from the cd and as a bonus whenever you install a new program that requires win98 files, it will automatically copy them from the hard drive source and never ask you for the disk. Essentially what I did was make it so that I did not have to rely on the cd drive or cds at all to reformat and get started. Of course all of this takes up space on the second drive. I use the primary drive for the OS and installed programs and the second drive entirely for storage and backup.

I also learned the hard way such as yourself to back up my "favorites" folder before reformatting so I wouldn't lose my my IE bookmarks. Then after reformatting/reloading, I used this saved folder to overwrite the newly created favorites folder. Unfortunately with IE, you can't download and save the program itself as an executable file so that each time you're back to version 4. Or if there is a way, I don't know how. Each time formatting, I have to go thru the process of downloading the latest version again. Actually I think the information is stored in your computer, maybe in the temporary internet files folder but I'm not sure on which files to save and how to extract the information later on when it's time to update. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in on how this is done. You can order the IE cd from microsoft for a fee of course.

Sorry to hear about your day. As mentioned I've been thru the computer part of it before. I think you will enjoy win98 better then 95 once you are up and running. Hopefully you have the second edition of win98. Make yourself a win98 startup floppy and then test it to see if it will recognize your cd rom drive.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn Craig, that`s a helluva f***ed up day
blush.gif
. I promise never again to moan about my own computer problems as they have never been that bad! But the fact that you kept on at it and didn`t give up is something to be admired- not everyone will stay up all night to fix their problems. And you missed Digimon- double whammy!

I hope nothing else goes wrong for you. I think there`s enough bad luck there in one day to last until at least October!

BTW I have a copy of Photoshop-5-LE on its way here. Once I`m done installing it, you`re welcome to borrow the disc and install on your machine (perhaps do the entire-disc-copy to your backup HDD like mr Geepondy did with Win98), assuming it doesn`t require online regiatration to make it work, or anything like that. I`ll let you know how it goes, when it arrives.

wink.gif

Alchemist

Newly Enlightened
Craig.
Look on the bright side.
At least you now have another broken toilet seat with which to update your site
wink.gif

Alan.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
Well the computer situation is a helluva learning experience, isn't it. I've been there before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I was pretty good at using the computer, until this came up.
rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
You can use your second drive for storage to make life easier should the need arise to format and reload again. That's what I do. I keep the latest version of all my drivers there, such as sound, video and modem drivers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this is exactly what I did, but since I had no idea what the filenames were or where to look for them, Windows was just as stymied as I was. It just says "Windows is unable to locate a driver for this device" and doesn't tell me what it was looking for. If I knew that, I could just do a quick "FF" on the second drive and find them.

I also run and store my email (Eudura) entirely from the second drive so that is never affected by reformatting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was smart enough to save my current mail & the zipped archives, so I didn't actually *lose* anything that way. But the Windows installation wasted a few DLLs so I could no longer go in and work with my mail.

Essentially what I did was make it so that I did not have to rely on the cd drive or cds at all to reformat and get started. Of course all of this takes up space on the second drive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortumately, I don't have a big enough secondary drive. It's still equipped with Windows 95 and bootstrap (swapping it back should allow Win95 to boot should the need ever arise), and after that it has something like 50 megs left on it (it also houses backups of my e-mail and websites), so that's the end of that.
The third drive has Photoshop and Acrobat on it, and it also has about 50MB free after that. So there's no room on either to put a whole Windows install CD onto. My primary drive now is the 13GB that was thoughtfully provided by a CPF member not long ago.
smile.gif

My only REAL task now is to somehow find a way to move Photoshop onto another drive without trashing it so I can then pull the drive and free up the slot for a ZIP disk, also provided by the same CPF'er.
Backing up a Windows system on floppies just doesn't cut it anymore.
blush.gif

I also learned the hard way such as yourself to back up my "favorites" folder before reformatting so I wouldn't lose my my IE bookmarks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that. In fact, that was one of the first things I did. But I couldn't find my cookies file - the one with all the info and settings for the various BB's I use. So that ended up being lost, and I'll have to go around and hope all the boards I'm on are as smart as CPF in that they will e-mail you lost login info.
smile.gif

I have my favorites back, but they're scrambled, and there's no scroll bar so it takes forever to get from the top to the bottom. Makes it hard to find my daily stops, but at least they're still on there if I look for them. :/

Unfortunately with IE, you can't download and save the program itself as an executable file so that each time you're back to version 4.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I found that out the hard way too. Tried to just copy the entire IE folder across to the new installation, and nothing much of anything changed.

You can order the IE cd from microsoft for a fee of course.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they will send 5.5 (and not a later version that sucks), that would be cool.
I already found an archive online that has the obsolete Netscape version I prefer to use, so I won't have to suffer through that mess again. It's in the form of a nice tidy 15MB executable, so I can stash it anywhere there's room and run it as needed.
I found that if there's anything left of my previous Netscape installation (such as if only the DLLs were f**ked), it will preserve my preferences, POP3 and SMPT settings, even the passwords used to access them.

Sorry to hear about your day. As mentioned I've been thru the computer part of it before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to mention it, but while I was finishing writing that message for the second time, the light bulb in my desk lamp exploded.
tongue.gif

Hopefully you have the second edition of win98.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, as far as I am aware, it is the first edition. I had that checked awhile back when I was offered to beta test some new lighting hardware that required the second edition.
frown.gif

The original copy came with a Gateway 2000 system that was donated last summer in order so that I could run a PC-recording DMM and later, the ProMetric beam profile analyzer, so I'm not legally able to obtain an upgrade.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
It's enough to turn your hair pink isn't it?!

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least it hides all the grey I probably sprouted up over the last two days.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Make yourself a win98 startup floppy and then test it to see if it will recognize your cd rom drive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Widows made a startup disk when it installed. I just took a peek at CONFIG.SYS on it, and it does have CD-ROM support. But I'll boot off it the next time I have to shut down just to be sure it works.

Funny things is, on the root of my C:\ drive, both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT are empty - 0 bytes. So I assume the CD-ROM driver calls and such are now incorporated into the sector 0 bootstrap, rather than from the usual startup files used by Win 95.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've got a CD with IE5.50.4134.0600IS

I just had a look for it and couldn't find it...
frown.gif
confused.gif

Perhaps you need a new PC? Why don't you start a thread?

Al
tongue.gif

Spork

Enlightened
if your going to upgrade your operating system just get windows xp. if you have a old windows cd and get a new upgrade you should be able to wipe your hard drive clean and install fresh. it will just ask you if it can check out your previous windows install cd. if you update your bios i think you can boot with the windows installation cd. it should have drivers for most of the stuff on your computer. there's always Linux too. runs great on older computers.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
if your going to upgrade your operating system just get windows xp. if you have a old windows cd and get a new upgrade you should be able to wipe your hard drive clean and install fresh.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After this weekend's debacle, that's the last thing I want to do - wipe the HD clean and start over. That's what got me in the fix I'm in now.
tongue.gif

I think I'll stick with 98 for the time being. Now that I actually got the f**kin' thing in, it does exactly what I need it to: runs my web browsers, and sucks pictures out of my camera. And occasionally plays SID choons in the background. No more, no less.
And that, I can live with.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Funny things is, on the root of my C:\ drive, both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT are empty - 0 bytes. So I assume the CD-ROM driver calls and such are now incorporated into the sector 0 bootstrap, rather than from the usual startup files used by Win 95.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig,
win98 doesn't use those files any more. they're only used to support old dos programs or when you boot to dos. i think the cd-rom drivers are just another driver in the OS. btw, don't even think about upgrading to XP unless your computer is less than one year old. the hardware just won't support it - doh!

glad to hear you're finally winning the battle.
smile.gif

btw, IE 5.5 is the worst version MS ever came out with. Some people have no problems and for others - they get completely hosed! If you're going that route, either get 5.01 or 6.0.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by geepondy:
Unfortunately with IE, you can't download and save the program itself as an executable file so that each time you're back to version 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you can download the full IE program (at least you could a few months ago on IE6) and save it to disk. It is tricky, and it has been too long since I did it that I can't tell you with absolute certainty how to do it. BUT::...

If I am remembering correctly here is how you do it.... First, Create a directory wherever you want to store the full download (zip disk, secondary HD etc.)
Then download the <500K installation setup file. SAVE it to the directory you just created.. Clear your Cache, Close down IE, Reboot.

Log on to internet, but don't start IE. Double click the installation setup .exe file. It will take you to the Microsoft IE update page.

DON'T click the download button on the first page.

Click on the link to take you to the page that has the more information/instructions ... Down at the bottom of that page there is a "Download" button. If you click THAT button, you will get a popup screen that allows you to save the entire thing to disk., then another page that lets you check off which particular components you want to download. (I saved all but the foreign language support options, and it is a 22MB file).

Try it that way, and if it doesn't work, (They may have changed it since I did it.) let me know. I can upload the file to my server and you can ftp it down to your computer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
(I saved all but the foreign language support options, and it is a 22MB file).

Try it that way, and if it doesn't work, (They may have changed it since I did it.) let me know. I can upload the file to my server and you can ftp it down to your computer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll have to just get whatever version I can on CD. My conection won't stay up long enough to download a file of that size on my dial-up account. Around 15-16MB is the upper limit, after that I get cut off even if a transfer is in progress.
rolleyes.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
My conection won't stay up long enough to download a file of that size on my dial-up account. Around 15-16MB is the upper limit, after that I get cut off even if a transfer is in progress.
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that $ucks. I thought ATT was supposed to be good about stuff like that.

Well, it would be kind of a hassle for you, but the full 22MB program is not a single EXE file, but a "collection" of ~40 .cab files (and a few other kinds). The largest single file is under 1.9MB. They could all be downloaded individually into a single directory if I put it on my server.

Oh, and this offer is open to all CPFers if you want to do it this way, and Microsoft update won't allow you to.

Just let me know, and I'll upload it.

Spork

Enlightened
actually i think you can download the ie setup file, pick custom install and save files for later use. also if you get disconnected i think setup starts back where you left off.

B@rt

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
if you get disconnected i think setup starts back where you left off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just make sure you're using a download-manager.
rolleyes.gif

Craig, I can make you a disc with some programs like Photoshop. Illustrator, ACD See, etc. no problem, just let me know...
wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you recommend a download manager that isn't spy ware?

Most of them that I have run across have a spyware component in them, reporting back to someone everything you download. (do a little research- It's scary: even the ones from big companies like netscape report what you have downloaded)

I have uploaded the whole IE6 setup program (minus foreign language support)to: www.az123.com/ie6 if anyone wants to go that route.

I'll leave it up for a couple of weeks. (hopefully this is legal - if it weren't a free program, I wouldn't do this)

Just download and save everything in the directory to a single folder on your computer. (Right click and "Save As" on each item in the directory)

Once you have it all, click on the ie6setup.exe file and it will get you started. Reference your local drive if it asks for a location for the files, (rather than the microsoft site).

Virus free- I just ran a completely updated Norton AV on it before uploading.

B@rt

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
Cay you recommend a download manager that isn't spy ware?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't have a clue about that, I'm using GetRight...
Where do I find info about it?

About the disc... Not entirely legal, but functional...(not shure if I should post something like this, but...)

Spork

Enlightened
the IE setup program will resume it for you. if you want some freeware download managers check out www.nonags.com usually the stuff that has 6 stars works quite well.