Computer graphics help

papasan

Enlightened
yeah, depends what program you are using...in photoshop it's a fairly easy thing, not sure about other programs...

'dpi' is a reference to the quality of the printed image...dpi stands for 'dots per [square] inch' and, obviously, a larger number means a better quality picture...it's odd to me that the publisher was un-able to re-sample the pictures for you...you sent the original raw images to him?...

also, you do want to use tiff or bmp formats to save and convert image files, jpgs are no good for precise, nice images...besides loosing information every time you save a file (i believe even setting the quality to 100% is not really 100%) i think that jpeg files cannot be saved in other than the standard computer 75dpi image format...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
yeah, depends what program you are using...in photoshop it's a fairly easy thing, not sure about other programs...

'dpi' is a reference to the quality of the printed image...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried this in Photoshop, and a 29K file (a picture of a wheelchair) turned into an 8MB file. And this is by far the smallest picture of the group I was asked to change. I'll be stuck for days with my mail program "sending... 1% complete" and unable to use the system for anything else with files this big. :-/

chair91.jpg

I guess this is the kind of job best suited for a cable modem.
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hank:
Windows? First time, if you don't have a shortcut for Photo Edit -- Right mouseclick on 'My Computer' and Explore/Tools/Find/Files/ search for "PHOTOED.EXE" and right mouseclick on that, choose Create Shortcut, let it put the shortcut on the desktop.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that, and Photo Edit does not exist on my system. I already used Photoshop, but I also wanted to try your idea.
O well.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I tried this in Photoshop, and a 29K file (a picture of a wheelchair) turned into an 8MB file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saving it as a .jpg? A .jpg image should not be 8MB big unless it's a really, really big picture.

papasan

Enlightened
craig, if you want you can send me the pictures and i can resample them for you...if you want to go this route write me an e-mail to my published address above and then i'll send you my real e-mail address
smile.gif
...please send me the original raw (as raw as you can) photos...i've got a cable modem, an 8mb file would take me about 10 minutes to send...and yes, an uncompressed 300dpi (color magazine quality) image is fairly large...every single dot and the color depth (24 probably) is acounted for in the file and there is no compression...try zipping it, because it's uncompressed a file compresser should work well in shrinking it...

that is, incidently, how the jpeg format originated, it was the .zip type compressor for .bmp images...viewers now adays uncompress the jpeg on the fly...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
craig, if you want you can send me the pictures and i can resample them for you...please send me the original raw (as raw as you can) photos...i've got a cable modem, an 8mb file would take me about 10 minutes to send...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll see if I can still find them all. Everything got hosed during the latest Win 98 debacle, so I'll have to start searching for them.
blush.gif

Unfortunately, none of them are "straight from the camera"; they'e all been on the web at some time or other, have all been through some amount of compression, and all of them should look pretty ugly at 300 pixels per inch if my first test was any indication.
tongue.gif

8 megs in 10 minutes? That's quick.
It took my system almost 2 hours to e-mail that itty bitty picture you see above.

I'll email you as soon as I've found everything... thanks.
smile.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac? with for example Graphics Converter, go to menu /Picture/Resolution, choose 300dpi from the pulldown menu, and File/Save As. Hope they told you what application/file format they are using. If you use JPEG / JPG make sure to save without compression, it loses a lot each time saved otherwise.

Windows? First time, if you don't have a shortcut for Photo Edit -- Right mouseclick on 'My Computer' and Explore/Tools/Find/Files/ search for "PHOTOED.EXE" and right mouseclick on that, choose Create Shortcut, let it put the shortcut on the desktop.

Open the file with PhotoEd; menus /File/Properties and choose the dpi. If JPG, _first_ /File/Save_as/, click More, set the JPG quality slider to 100 percent, highest quality to avoid losing info each time you save it. Then menu /File/Properties/ and set the resolution to 300dpi.

----> If you use TIFF that format uses a different compression, doesn't lose bits each time you resave the file.

ALSO note if your image is set for zillions of colors, it's going to be a huge file. They may be happy with 8 or 16 colors.

If this is a real hassle for you email me the images and I'll convert them, but need to be sure what format they are using.