HDS Systems

Thread: Are there any HID lanterns?

Default Are there any HID lanterns?

Do any HID lanterns exist? If they do, can anyone tell me where to get one? All the LED lanterns just aren't bright enough. Is there any advantage an HID lantern would have over a fluorescent lantern?

Enlightened

Default Re: Are there any HID lanterns?

Good luck with your post, I posted several times looking for a HID lantern or
    flood type HID light. Sofar i havent found any, seems a flourescent in the
    only thing even close to efficency & hi output.
    The HID bulbs are there maybe a manufacture will put one in something other than a spotlight.

My AE-light PL24 with the diffuser lens on is basically an HID lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by cchurchi
    My AE-light PL24 with the diffuser lens on is basically an HID lantern.
    Indoors while tailstanding, it sure is!
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Indoors while tailstanding, it sure is!
    I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to burn an HID light while tailstanding? Can anyone confirm that?

MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

I don't know about lanterns, but these people make some 70w portable floods (might me expensive):

http://www.pyramidtech.com/Catalog/P...t&ProductID=56

Charles
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Why not make one, it may not be what your looking for but I've seen the portable work lights at BigLots and Northern Tool for $9.99. Pick up a ballast and bulb from ebay and you should be to build the project for under $100.00 or much less if you scrounge around enough.

Later
    Kelly
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

Quote Originally Posted by MSaxatilus
    I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to burn an HID light while tailstanding? Can anyone confirm that?

MSax
    thats according to whether your cat bites!

Ain't I just tooo funny!

Quote Originally Posted by stoven
    Do any HID lanterns exist? If they do, can anyone tell me where to get one? All the LED lanterns just aren't bright enough. Is there any advantage an HID lantern would have over a fluorescent lantern?
    check out the 35 watt X990 if you already haven't. Focusable, comes with two NiMh batteries with 70 min runtime each, will sit on its base and point up or any side direction, or you can turn it into a flashlight "transformers!".
    comes with a case and strap charger etc. for 399.00

You won't be complaining about enough light in your campsite.... 3200 lumens to flood or focus for throw.

If you want HID.. this is a good price.. the AE 24 weighs in at 349.00 "50.00 less"and doesn't have near the lumens "only 1300" and has the bluer 6000K light, whereas the X990 is more like daylight with its 4300K bulb, nor is as handy for a lantern.. but does have a LiIon battery which is a plus, but this will eat it up for brightness. It kicks butt and takes names for 399.00.

Quote Originally Posted by stoven
    Though I own and use four lanterns, I'm not an expert. But as you asked about relative advantage of HID over flourescent for this purpose, I'd like to chime in.

I use lanterns for area lighting. I find that POINT-SOURCE lanterns are a poor choice for area lighting. When I accidentally look directly at my River Rock LED lantern, it blinds me. As such, I never use it. The flourescents offer a MUCH wider source of light and are therefore MUCH easier on the eyes. The flourescents also cast more forgiving and natural shadows.

It seems to me that an HID lantern would be fairly unuseable for my purposes - unless some manufacturer devised a very serious diffuser which I cannot imagine at the moment.

W.
    Current EDC: SF-T1A + SAK MiniChamp
    Arc(AAA-P), SF(M6, U2, A2), Photon Freedom, Petzl-Zipka+, PeliLite-2C (c1980 first good light)

Quote Originally Posted by wmirag
    When I accidentally look directly at my River Rock LED lantern, it blinds me. As such, I never use it.
    W.
    If you wanna sell your river rock PM me.. I can't find one in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by MSaxatilus
    Its not real good for the bulb life if done for extended periods of time. The heat does not disipate from the bulb as well as horizontal positioned.

Thanks for the info XeRay!
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

Smile Re: Are there any HID lanterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Sway
    Why not make one, it may not be what your looking for but I've seen the portable work lights at BigLots and Northern Tool for $9.99. Pick up a ballast and bulb from ebay and you should be to build the project for under $100.00 or much less if you scrounge around enough.

Later
    Kelly
    I am actually planning on doing that when I have time and seeing what happens. Only I am going to use one of the cheap round shop light reflectors.
    I have the bulb, ballast and shoplight. Now I just need the time.

Take Care,
    mtbkndad

Flashaholic

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the wobble light...they come in alot of different setups....

http://www.buyitnowus.com/SearchResu...?CategoryID=21
    make sure you pay attention to the item#, some end in MH...those being the HID(metal halide)
    Last edited by darkhanger18; 11-09-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Just in case someone misses the other thread.. here is is for 183.00.

Just goes to show you, the technology itself is not that expensive.... but I can't speak for the quality, how fast it starts, its fragility or any of that....
    It also does not have a battery.. runs off of 110 volts and 29.00 lbs... Wow!.. they must have added weight to this thing on purpose to make that base!
    That would make a nice dumbell!
    Oh.. and did I mention its 36" high and 18" wide! Wholly Molly!

Too bad they can't put a reflector on that and make a flashlight.... a mere 40000 lumens!...... humm!

Thinking Re: Are there any HID lanterns?

WMIRAG is right,,

Its all about surface-brightness..

HID has about the same efficiency compared to fluorescent, so there is nothing to gain.. With these lanterns you want as flood as possible, and it has no use to obtain that flood by placing milk-glass windows around a more expensive HID-bulb (and ballast). Someone on CPF made a lantern with Luxeon-leds, without milkglass. The pictures spoke for themselves: very blinding solution with the small led-junctions (also cold colortemp)!!!

I suggested earlier that if I woud make a lantern with todays techniques, it would have dimmable wharm-white Luxeons, ofcource with milkglass, with additional electronics that cause a romantic, candle-like flikker (adjustable)..

AM I LOST NOW ????...

Edit: Ohh,, I forgot: Led's are fully dimmable, HID is not! So not practical when you are at the porch with your girlfriend (or boyfriend... or both) and things get a little more...romantic...

Maybe I can fit a romance-sensor: The lantern would dim by itself !!!

Regards,

Ra.
    Last edited by Ra; 11-21-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...
    Maxablaster MB Beamshots 10Watt Mini HID SSC Microblaster!