Are there any HID lanterns?

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Good luck with your post, I posted several times looking for a HID lantern or
flood type HID light. Sofar i havent found any, seems a flourescent in the
only thing even close to efficency & hi output.
The HID bulbs are there maybe a manufacture will put one in something other than a spotlight.

cchurchi

Enlightened
My AE-light PL24 with the diffuser lens on is basically an HID lantern.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indoors while tailstanding, it sure is!

I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to burn an HID light while tailstanding? Can anyone confirm that?

MSax

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not make one, it may not be what your looking for but I've seen the portable work lights at BigLots and Northern Tool for $9.99. Pick up a ballast and bulb from ebay and you should be to build the project for under $100.00 or much less if you scrounge around enough.

Later
Kelly

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus said:
I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to burn an HID light while tailstanding? Can anyone confirm that?

MSax

thats according to whether your cat bites! :laughing:

Ain't I just tooo funny! :lolsign:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
stoven said:
Do any HID lanterns exist? If they do, can anyone tell me where to get one? All the LED lanterns just aren't bright enough. Is there any advantage an HID lantern would have over a fluorescent lantern?

check out the 35 watt X990 if you already haven't. Focusable, comes with two NiMh batteries with 70 min runtime each, will sit on its base and point up or any side direction, or you can turn it into a flashlight "transformers!".
comes with a case and strap charger etc. for 399.00

You won't be complaining about enough light in your campsite.... 3200 lumens to flood or focus for throw.

If you want HID.. this is a good price.. the AE 24 weighs in at 349.00 "50.00 less"and doesn't have near the lumens "only 1300" and has the bluer 6000K light, whereas the X990 is more like daylight with its 4300K bulb, nor is as handy for a lantern.. but does have a LiIon battery which is a plus, but this will eat it up for brightness. It kicks butt and takes names for 399.00.

wmirag

Enlightened
stoven said:
Do any HID lanterns exist? If they do, can anyone tell me where to get one? All the LED lanterns just aren't bright enough. Is there any advantage an HID lantern would have over a fluorescent lantern?http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...lla:en-US:official_s&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Though I own and use four lanterns, I'm not an expert. But as you asked about relative advantage of HID over flourescent for this purpose, I'd like to chime in.

I use lanterns for area lighting. I find that POINT-SOURCE lanterns are a poor choice for area lighting. When I accidentally look directly at my River Rock LED lantern, it blinds me. As such, I never use it. The flourescents offer a MUCH wider source of light and are therefore MUCH easier on the eyes. The flourescents also cast more forgiving and natural shadows.

It seems to me that an HID lantern would be fairly unuseable for my purposes - unless some manufacturer devised a very serious diffuser which I cannot imagine at the moment.

W.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmirag said:
When I accidentally look directly at my River Rock LED lantern, it blinds me. As such, I never use it.
W.

If you wanna sell your river rock PM me.. I can't find one in my area.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus said:

Its not real good for the bulb life if done for extended periods of time. The heat does not disipate from the bulb as well as horizontal positioned.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sway said:
Why not make one, it may not be what your looking for but I've seen the portable work lights at BigLots and Northern Tool for $9.99. Pick up a ballast and bulb from ebay and you should be to build the project for under $100.00 or much less if you scrounge around enough.

Later
Kelly

I am actually planning on doing that when I have time and seeing what happens. Only I am going to use one of the cheap round shop light reflectors.
I have the bulb, ballast and shoplight. Now I just need the time.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case someone misses the other thread.. here is is for 183.00.

Just goes to show you, the technology itself is not that expensive.... but I can't speak for the quality, how fast it starts, its fragility or any of that....
It also does not have a battery.. runs off of 110 volts and 29.00 lbs... Wow!.. they must have added weight to this thing on purpose to make that base!
That would make a nice dumbell!
Oh.. and did I mention its 36" high and 18" wide! :huh2: Wholly Molly!

Too bad they can't put a reflector on that and make a flashlight.... a mere 40000 lumens!...... humm!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
WMIRAG is right,,

Its all about surface-brightness..

HID has about the same efficiency compared to fluorescent, so there is nothing to gain.. With these lanterns you want as flood as possible, and it has no use to obtain that flood by placing milk-glass windows around a more expensive HID-bulb (and ballast). Someone on CPF made a lantern with Luxeon-leds, without milkglass. The pictures spoke for themselves: very blinding solution with the small led-junctions (also cold colortemp)!!!

I suggested earlier that if I woud make a lantern with todays techniques, it would have dimmable wharm-white Luxeons, ofcource with milkglass, with additional electronics that cause a romantic, candle-like flikker (adjustable)..

AM I LOST NOW ????...

Edit: Ohh,, I forgot: Led's are fully dimmable, HID is not! So not practical when you are at the porch with your girlfriend (or boyfriend... or both) and things get a little more...romantic...

Maybe I can fit a romance-sensor: The lantern would dim by itself !!!

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited: