More Milky Goodness: Milky L1 Amber/Milky Illuminator!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently had Milkyspit build me two new lights. I received both of them recently and finally got around to posting my thoughts.

Anyway, to start......

M1L1-3.jpg

What you are looking at is are two Surefire Mods. The one to the left is a typical Milky L1 moddified with a McR18 reflector. In addition, the emitter has been swapped out for a Lux III F6F Amber!!! I have to say when I first heard the concept of a truely amber light I was a bit remissed. However, the beam and color on this light is just fantastic. The amber is very easy on the eyes and definitely maintains your night vision. On top of that, I'd say it definitely allows for better color rendition over the tried and true red LEDs.

M1L1-1.jpg

Other than the Amber color the Milky L1 performs as well as the standard Milky L1... oh except the Amber one maximizes runtime with an amazing 3 hours at full brightness. In addition, you can swap the head over to a single 123 body and run it off of a single R123 for a direct drive option, which produces a ton more light, but at the cost of runtime. I prefer the L1 configuration for runtime.

The second light is a Milky M1 Illuminator:

M1L1-4.jpg

The light on the left is basically a Surefire M1 that has been modded with a WYOS Lux V emitter. The light is focused with a McR16 reflector to produce a stunning wall of light. The emitter is only being powered at 350mAs so you get an amazing 90 minutes of runtime on a single R123. The output is absolutely amazing for such a small light. If I ever get around to figuring out beamshots, I will definitely post some.

Some more pics of the Milky L1 and its siblings (Amber=L, White=M, Cyan=R):

Three Sisters.....

ML1-A-3.jpg

Three Sisters Low beam:

ML1-A-5.jpg

Three Sisters High Beam:

ML1-A-4.jpg

Artsy shots:

ML1-A-1.jpg

ML1-A-2.jpg

Anyway, once again Milky has really out done himself. These are two more great lights that I can't say enough about. I am really impressed and again thank you to Milky for making them reality.

:goodjob:

MSax

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
MS - I like your thinking! Milky worked his magic on my L1, and will soon do the same for my yet to arrive M1. What would you think of amber in the M1? Too much "wall of light" to make it practical for what one would use the amber for? Thanks. Kirk

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you think of amber in the M1?

That would be a neat idea. It would be a great light for walking around the house at night with. The only thing is, I don't think you have nearly the wall of light effect as you mention, because the amber emitter is a Lux III and not a Lux V. If you can get amber Lux V that might be really killer!!!

Any thoughts Milky?

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Sweet.

Milky is working on a light with an amber emitter for me too! Except... My amber emitter is surrounded by 6 white ones.:naughty:

The light is a Surfire M4 bored for 18650s. The concept came from another of Milky's creations: http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=3689.0;all

Scott does some AWESOME work. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:This will be my 3rd Surefire mod from him.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nebula said:
MS - I like your thinking! Milky worked his magic on my L1, and will soon do the same for my yet to arrive M1. What would you think of amber in the M1? Too much "wall of light" to make it practical for what one would use the amber for? Thanks. Kirk

Nebula, it looks like amber LuxV will be hard to come by in the immediate future. If you like the M1 host in general, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to install an amber emitter in there though it would be a much more traditional beam pattern, with intense hotspot and less intense sidespill. The LuxV actually works to advantage in this light in making a better illuminator.

That said, I am experimenting with a cyan LuxV that looks promising... :naughty:

Nebula

Enlightened
Milky - My light will be on its way to you just as soon as I receive it. I want to hear more about the cyan LuxV experiement. Kirk

alantch

Enlightened
If I ever get around to figuring out beamshots, I will definitely post some.
MS, I can do the beamshots for the M1 if you'll send it to me. I PROMISE to send it back to you after having done so. Cross my heart :naughty:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights, and nice mods...

However, I still don't get, how one would (want to) drive a LuxV by 350mA...
Theoretically you would be underdriving... Can anyone clear this up for me ?

Regards !
Cheers !

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too have seen the benefit of amber lighting on eye's compared to red light...

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, I still don't get, how one would (want to) drive a LuxV by 350mA...
Theoretically you would be underdriving... Can anyone clear this up for me ?

Hey Bombelman! How's Suriname?

Anyway, you underdrive emitters in order to save on heat buildup in a small light and increase the runtime. McGizmo has done this in his McLux lights by driving the Lux III at only 525 vs. the spec. 700mAs. Give you alot more runtime, less heat at the cost of just a bit of light output.

MSax

Nebula

Enlightened
milkyspit said:
That said, I am experimenting with a cyan LuxV that looks promising... :naughty:

Milky - My M1 arrived in the mail. I will contact you via pm to arrange for shipping, etc. In the meantime, anything to report on the LuxV Cyan? If you like it I am sure that I will as well. Kirk

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nebula said:
Milky - My M1 arrived in the mail. I will contact you via pm to arrange for shipping, etc. In the meantime, anything to report on the LuxV Cyan? If you like it I am sure that I will as well. Kirk

Kirk, I haven't mounted the cyan yet... been playing with a few Cree emitters... but as soon as I open a couple more M1 hosts I'll hookup the cyan and let you know! :D

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, you guys are killing me. Just when I think that I have all my mod-wants planned out, you go and get me thinking about colored L1s again....

I still have a .. uh... Q2H?? Cyan 1 watt emitter laying around somewhere. How would that do in an L1? And where did you score the F6F LuxIII amber?!?! I need one of those! :poke:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
revolvergeek said:
Man, you guys are killing me. Just when I think that I have all my mod-wants planned out, you go and get me thinking about colored L1s again....

I still have a .. uh... Q2H?? Cyan 1 watt emitter laying around somewhere. How would that do in an L1? And where did you score the F6F LuxIII amber?!?! I need one of those! :poke:

:laughing:

The cyan ML1 in MSax's photos has a Q2H emitter in it. :D

Amber F6F? PhotonFanatic. Last time I checked he was out of stock on those... but we can always hope they appear again!
:thinking: