Inova T3, Pelican PM6, or Streamlight TL3?

pilotmatt

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am new here and would just wondering which one of these lights you guys would recommend? Thanks!!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my T3, built like a tank, but it is a pure spotlight...not much flood or sidespill at all.

Don't know anything about the other lights you are considering...others will chip in sooner or later.

Welcome to CPF
tinfoilhat.gif

CFU

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

What are you going to use the light for?
The T3 is an LED light, the PM6 is available in either LED or incandescent, and the TL3 is incandescent.

If you need a long throw, you'll probably want either the PM6 or TL3 in incandescent. If you're looking for a metal bodied light, you might also want to consider the Pelican M6 that is also available in incandescent (2320), or one of two LED versions (2330, 2390), it's the metal bodied predecessor of the PM6.

pilotmatt said:
Hey guys, I am new here and would just wondering which one of these lights you guys would recommend? Thanks!!

maxilux

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Welcome to CPF!

What are you going to use the light for?
The T3 is an LED light, the PM6 is available in either LED or incandescent, and the TL3 is incandescent.

If you need a long throw, you'll probably want either the PM6 or TL3 in incandescent. If you're looking for a metal bodied light, you might also want to consider the Pelican M6 that is also available in incandescent (2320), or one of two LED versions (2330, 2390), it's the metal bodied predecessor of the PM6.

You can get the SL TL3 as a led or an incan light.

The tl3 is the brightest light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a TL3 LED and wasn't really that impressed. I'm sure it would be better with a more choice LED installed, but I found mine a bit lacking.

I've had a few T3s and X03s and both are beautiful lights. The definately have limited spill, but the hotspot is relatively large. Just a matter of the right light for the type of beam you are expecting. It's also kinda bulky for a 2x123 light.

If I had to get my collection down to 4 lights, the Streamlight TL-3 incandescent would be one of them. Great throw... good brightness... reasonably small considering the 3x123... Runs on the 17500s just great... What's not to like?

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
Welcome,

SL TL-3 has adjustable bezel so you can get best of both worlds. When adjusted to spot, the spot looks fairly clean, yet will throw quite far. It uses 3 x cr123a batteries to light the 9V xenon bulb which is incandescent and will have yellow tint compared to Luxeon LED's lights... It has a metal body too.. I run mine with 2 x 17500 Li-Ion rechargable cells...(slightly less bright during initial activation but will pretty much stay brighter over the life of the charge as compared to primary lithium cr123a's). I don't have the others so I can't comment on them. Get the light that will best suit the situations you'll be facing...

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, it has that Lux V, doesn't it.

Insofar as your generallity about TL3 being brightest, I'm afraid that is being very general. It really would be best of the OP could spell out his intended usage and his preferences. Even if it were the brightest, it might not be the best light for his purpose.

maxilux said:
You can get the SL TL3 as a led or an incan light.

The tl3 is the brightest light.

Delvance

Enlightened
I've got a T3 and a PM6 2390 and between the two, i'd definitely go for the PM6 2390. It's ability to run on 2 R123s or a 17670, and plenty of sidespill makes it win win to me. The shorter design also helps. Both are built like a tank though.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Different people, different preferences!

Had all three of them. Inova T3 (LED), Pelikan PM6 (incand), Streamlight TL3 (incand).
Sold the T3 which had decent throw but kept my 2 Streamlights TaskLight 2-L 3W which don`t throw much worse but have a 2-stage switch what I prefer!
Sold the PM6 which was a very good thrower for it`s size and kept the TL3 upgraded with carley H-1499 and 17500`s which is superior to it (although a bit bigger!)

pilotmatt

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I forgot to mention what I would be using it for... I am a pilot and need a light that I can shine at night to check the airplane. I would also like something that will blind a person if need be :grin2: . It would be nice to get something with a 2 hour run time minimum... and something that will last a long time. I really want to keep it under $50. Thanks guys.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're flying larger aircraft (commercial airliners) you'll probably the find that the incadescents may be more suitable for the amount of throw that you might need. For smaller crafts, a Luxeon would probably do quite well. The blinding a person stuff is a bit overated and more marketing fluff, but you do want to be careful that you don't get something that will cause difficulties for yourself if you use it in the cockpit (different light is probably more preferable.) Unfortunately most of the CR123 incandescents only run for about an hour. The Peli PM6 can be had for a little over $20 in incandescent and Amazon has the TL-3 for about $50. If you want to carry it on your belt regularly, the PM-6 might be more suitable (or the SL TL-2). That having been said ... there are also a number of pilots that still use a Rayovac, Eveready, or other plastic 2D light :)

pilotmatt said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention what I would be using it for... I am a pilot and need a light that I can shine at night to check the airplane. I would also like something that will blind a person if need be :grin2: . It would be nice to get something with a 2 hour run time minimum... and something that will last a long time. I really want to keep it under $50. Thanks guys.

martonic

Enlightened
pilotmatt said:

I have the TL-3 (incan) and it's a fantastic spotting light. The run time is supposed to be about one hour but with intermittent use, or extra batteries, of course, it will go longer. Focusable, really bright, great throw, small, tough, easy to handle, has the perfect clip and it's right on your money mark.