5 watt Likki Lite Luxeon burned out...

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
My 5 watt Luxeon blew out after inserting to protected R123 batts into my 5 watt Likki light. I should have known better...

Is it expensive to replace the 5 watt luxeon? Can I buy the lux already mounted and ready to install? The burnt out lux is mounted on an aluminum disc along with the circuit regulator... I assume all is burned out...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if its any consolation, there is a 3W version of this light that you can get to replace the 5W version.

Might seem like a more economical alternative than repairing the burnt out one.

Hope this helps.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the 5w LED through direct drive to 2 cr123 batteries...most 5w LED's have a VF over 6 volts. You may have burned out the circuit regulator/resistor.
FlashlightPhreak said:
My 5 watt Luxeon blew out after inserting to protected R123 batts into my 5 watt Likki light. I should have known better...

Is it expensive to replace the 5 watt luxeon? Can I buy the lux already mounted and ready to install? The burnt out lux is mounted on an aluminum disc along with the circuit regulator... I assume all is burned out...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Thanks kindly for comments fellow CPFers's.

PS - I'll test the lux direct to 6v. QUESTION: if it works would I be wasting my time to reassemble the led as a direct current flow torch???

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read that it has been done, but supposedly you may shorten the life of the LED. IMHO I feel it will be safe with no problems.

Did you use RCR123 3.6v or 3.0v batteries when you blewout your light?

FlashlightPhreak said:
Thanks kindly for comments fellow CPFers's.

PS - I'll test the lux direct to 6v. QUESTION: if it works would I be wasting my time to reassemble the led as a direct current flow torch???

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember hearing about this type of thing happening to someone a year or so ago and it turned out that a voltage dropping resistor had overheated and actually unsoldered itself!
Once the resistor was resoldered the flashlight worked perfectly on primary cells and was none the wiser for the abuse.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fusion_m8 said:
Well, if its any consolation, there is a 3W version of this light that you can get to replace the 5W version.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

I just looked at the 9W and 16 W led lights on this site. Dose anyone know if these lights are actually any brighter than 5w lights - and are these lights reasonably reliable?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights are close in brightness, and reliability most of the time is good. I would also check fifthunit.com
Stainless said:
Fusion_m8 said:

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

I just looked at the 9W and 16 W led lights on this site. Dose anyone know if these lights are actually any brighter than 5w lights - and are these lights reasonably reliable?