• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Considering doing my first Aleph Build, Some questions...

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened

I'm thinking about building an Aleph from scratch...well, a Cree Aleph to be exact. :)

While I'm pretty skilled with a soldering iron, and quite mechanically inclined, I've never built one of these high end lights before.

If I could get my hands on a Cree, are there enough parts available at the Shoppe for me to build everything myself? Say if I asked someone to prescribe to me the parts list for a successful build, and then just order and build it? Or is it too early in the game for me to be able to "One stop shop" this?

I'd really like to do this, but I'm not in the mood for spending $150+ in parts to build a LuxIII only to sell the light (probably at a loss) just to do it again with the emitter I really wanted. :)

If it helps any, I'm looking to basically build a 1.5X123 or 2X123 Aleph 19 with the Cree, and have two stage clickie. Beyond that, I'm such a newb I don't know where to go from here. J

Any help or suggestions?

vacuum3d

Enlightened
The worst part of building your own Aleph is that there ain't no more parts available to buy unless you're willing to pay thru the nose, and even then, you practically have to beg people to sell you the stuff you need.
The A19 is still available at the Shoppe as a complete light, the last time I looked. You might want to wait for the Cree XR-E becomes a regular offering. Assuming that you find all the parts you need, you end up paying about the same amount of money as the complete light plus the amount of time you put in.
If I may offer you one piece of advice, don't start modding because it is an addiction that drains away all your time and money. I really wish I hadn't found this forum.

ernest

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but the point of this is to build one myself so I truely understand how these lights work. Even if a sandwich was available, I'd much rather build one from scratch for the experience.

I'm a very hands on sort of guy. :)

My runner up idea is to buy the 2X123 and get the 1.5X123 tube, but again, that's cheating if I can build it for myself. I'm not doing it to save money...if that were the case, I'd just walk away from these forums. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As this is a rather specific question and as the Shoppe is currently handling the McGizmo Aleph System I will move the thread there. It will generate more help there.
For some additional info on Aleph lights you might also search the McGizmo Forum and look through the FAQ (linked in the sticky in the McGizmo forum) for some links of interest.
bernie

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi Raven :wave:

The only way you can acquire the bodies and heads of the Aleph system, without LE's or parts installed in them, is through the BST forum - they pop up pretty often; you just have to keep an eye open for them. ;)

However, you don't see the A19 heads on BST that often... before the Cree XR-E has hit the streets, they weren't all the popular... :shrug: go figure that now they'd be the Cree champ!

You can buy a flat tailcap and a McClickie from the Sandiwich shoppe, but if you want a 2-stage Aleph, you'll need the McE2S, which the SS has been out of stock for a long time... again, BST for that.

The reflectors, glass, O-Rings, Bezel Rings, converter boards, light engine kits, and just about all the insides are available at the Shoppe. It's just getting your hand on the bodies and the Cree that would be the problem.

You need to be a Vulture instead of a Raven, and really nab up the first Aleph bodies that you see on BST that fit your requirements. There's tons out there, but they go like hot cakes (what the heck does that mean anyways).

john

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info John. That helps clarify my obsticals.

I'm not good at the vulture thing, of course I could put up a WTB and hope a kind soul heeds my plea.

The other option is to buy a complete light that's close to my specs, gut it, and start from there. Which would cost me more, but give me a pattern to work after.

It's too bad I don't have a machine shop to play in...then I'd be scary! :)

Thank's again for the info. :)

Last edited: