Sleep deprivation, time zones & Craig's toilet

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sleep deprivation, time zones & Craig\'s toilet

The Arc AAA thread is currently seeing time zone wars.This got me thinking about our friends down under and then I passed by Craig's urinal and there was an errant synapse of a dormant brain cell. I knew that the brain trust of this forum could answer a question that has plagued (sp?) me for a long time:

If toilets drain counter clockwise in one hemisphere and clockwise in the other, what happens at the equator? Would a toilet stationed on one of the poles be really fast?

I suspect that there are a couple of us who don't know the answer to these questions and our lives could be enriched by enlightenment.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

- Don

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sleep deprivation, time zones & Craig\'s toilet

Don,
It's really isn't complicated. Instead of swirling CW or CCW, it just "goes down". TX
PS
How fast it goes tends to be more a function of the amount of drop between the toliet & destination. TX

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened

Having nothing better to do at this hour
wink.gif
- I searched on google and this is the first link I got:

swirly

It basically says water drains any which way no matter where you are. The last sentence, though, cracked me up big-time! Now I'm gonna hafta find his answer on that one!
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

As a kid, I used to delight in making the draining tub water spin the OPPOSITE direction to what my Mom told me it "MUST" spin in the Northern Hemisphere. Give it a try next time - easy to do, and makes a fun project for the kids. My flair for being contrarian is NOT new, you see.

As for the baby pigeons: At 4 weeks old, they look identical to adults. Whilst growing up to this stage, they stay in their nest and only leave when fully feathered. They start off covered in yellow down and their feathers start to show after 2 weeks in the nest.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I guess I have to back off from my previous post. I was only going by what I experinced in my stay in Nam. I never tried to make it go the other direction. Guess I just went with the flow (pun intended). I can't explain the hurricanes. As far as the baby pigeons go, the reason there are none.....no one could figure out what to call them. (they tried "Squabs" for awhile, but that didn't realy make any since at all) TX

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks guys. Facinating. Artie, let us know about the pidgeons
grin.gif

- Don

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Thanks guys. Facinating. Artie, let us know about the pidgeons
grin.gif

- Don
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>OOHHH, I thought you meant pigeons. I don't know any thing about pidgeons. Check with Darell. He has the "IN" on strange creatures. (did you see his COW imatitaion??) TX

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I used to live in Singapore, which is pretty darn close to the equator, and I can tell you that in a newly installed toilet the water would just sit there, not knowing which way to go. So you'd have to beat it into submission with whatever was handy.
Depending on how you beat it into submission (the process known as 'breaking' the toilet'), it would go CCW or CW.

Then of course there were professional toilet 'Breakers' you could hire if yours was a tough one.
You could always get 'broken' toilets, but then you couldn't be sure if they would work properly...

Graham

Disclaimer: The content of this post is entirely fictional. (well, except for the part about living in Singapore) No toilets were mistreated in the creation of this post.
All rights, lefts, clockwise, counter-clockwise, reserved.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
As for the baby pigeons: At 4 weeks old, they look identical to adults. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean adult pigeons, right?
(Trying to figure out how little pigeons could look like people. Sorry, its been a slow day...)
grin.gif
grin.gif

Graham

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened

Darell nailed it on the pid-geons
wink.gif
. But I like this guy's explanation better:

"Re your recent comment on baby pigeons: don't be fooled by false sightings from gullible bird lovers. The blunt truth is this: the pigeons you see all over the city are the baby pigeons. The adult has a wingspan of 8-12 feet. When they reach adulthood they fly to remote mountain fastnesses and live off the occasional tourist. I do not, however, subscribe to the theory that the adults will one day return en masse to wreak vengeance on us a la The Birds." --Bob W., Melrose Park, Illinois

I started reading some of his other answers - definitely some lol and rotflol times to be had. They cracked me up bigtime!
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Graham:

Depending on how you beat it into submission (the process known as 'breaking' the toilet'), it would go CCW or CW.

Then of course there were professional toilet 'Breakers' you could hire if yours was a tough one..

And another urbane legeond is bourn. (Don't do it TX)

EDIT [ Artie, the wait was worth it... my sides hurt]

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

Graham,
Thanks for the post. I'm fixing to hit the sack & it's great to go to bed with a smile on my face. I love the humor from this board!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
TX
& you too McG.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
If toilets drain counter clockwise in one hemisphere and clockwise in the other, what happens at the equator? Would a toilet stationed on one of the poles be really fast?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The direction the water in a flushing toilet moves is not related whatsoever to the coriolis effect of the earth's rotation - the forces acting upon the toilet water are simply too small. Instead, flushing direction is determined - entirely - by the construction of the water jets in the toilet bowl rim. These jets are drilled into the rim at a slight angle to force the water to swirl, helping remove the waste from the bowl with the best possible efficiency given the relatively small amount of flushing water available.

Some tolets are also equipped with a seperate, larger jet in the bottom of the bowl that helps push flushed objects through the toilet's trap and into the DWV system.

You can force a toilet to flush backwards by using a toliet brush to swirl the water in the opposite direction while flushing; though if you don't swirl enough, the angled jets of water from the rim will be enough to reverse the direction again before the flush cycle is complete.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craig,
You are probably right...but there's a lot more funny stuff to be said when the direction is determined by you hemisphere. It must be late. TX
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif