2 C Cell form factor

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Stainless raised the view in another post that the 2 C cell light should be the next form factor developed . Wonder what other members think?
I agree with the need for more development in this area. There are only a few 3 watt led lights available in this area with the Task Force and Advanced Auto Parts versions being the smallest that I've seen .

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on further development of 2 C Cell led lights ?

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

SuperTorch

Enlightened
For some strange reason, C Cells lights are not as popular as 2D or smaller AA lights, the LED industry has stayed away from anything big. I don't think there will be a flood of development but for those that look hard I'm sure there will be 1-3 versions to be had in the LED area. I'm really praying Inova gets a Cree based X03 or T series out soon.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I have both the Task Force and Invoa Radiant in 2c form and they are both pretty decent lights. I use NiMH's and really like the longer runtimes that a 2C can yeild while still having a nice size for hand holding and possible belt or coat pocket carry size. 2C is too big for pants pocket IMO but a good glovebox car stash light.

I haven't really used the Task Force too much and the Invoa Radiant has me slightly sour as it has some beam artifacts. Other than that I like the size/shape of the 2C radiant and it appears to be a tough light that would handle well under rough use.

leduk

Enlightened
I like the 2 C form better than 2D.

What I'd really like is a 2*Sub-C form factor designed for NiMh specifically. 5W 3 level.

Cheers

Meduza

Enlightened
I like the compactness of the 2C really much, without monster-size-heads a la Maglite...

Just a 2C body tube, a Boost circut, a Cree XR-E with modded MCR-20 in the head and a tailcap switch...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread on this earlier this year. There are a lot of fans of the 2C configuration. My vote for best execution (though it's a dated light with a few issues) is the old Kel-Lite.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem with the 2C lites is that they are too difficult to carry, at least discreetly. If you can carry on your belt, it's fine, but not an option for mostly everyone, including I. So if you want to carry, a AA cell lite is a much better choice, probably 2AA.

Another problem with 2C is that if you don't need to carry, and need an outside lite, 2D is a better choice, over which 2C has no advantages whatsoever. Yeah, it is a bit more compact but it is a moot point outside.

2D is a bit bigger but offers better run time and more power and usually a bigger, better lense.

If one is going camping or into a cave or expects to be without lite for an extended time, D-cells make more sense for their greater MaH capacity.

I think these are some of the reasons why 2C has not been popular, and certainly hasn't been popular in the LED market. You can count the available 2C LEDs on your hand and still have fingers left over. It is a pity too.

Worse, the way the available 2Cs are made leaves a lot to be desired. If you look at the cells, they are fairly compact, but somehow they manage to build huge lights around them. Case in point, MagLite. _Not_ a pocket lite.

Having said all that, I might be interested in a compact, quality 2C with something bright in it and awesome run time. I really don't need one, but they are neat. If it was about the same size as the MiniMag length-wise, outthrew my MiniMag, had better run time and more lumens, I might consider it.

If you think about it, a 2C might be a lot more practical than the 3AA MiniMag. When they came out, I got both 2AA and 3AA. I think 3AA is a better lite in all respects than 2AA, yet I haven't used it more than once because it's so big, while I use 2AA all the time. I thinik 2C should be shorter than 3AA.

I also wonder about a headlight with 2C cells in it. That might be an interesting alternative to 3AA/4AA headlights.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emissive Energy in the form of a Victorinox 2C is a very nice light. Compact, great beam, superb body knurling, good looks, heavy duty, one watt Lux. Not as bright as the Task Force but better build, feel, looks (IMHO).

2C Super PeliLight for a super sharply focused, dive rated, light & compact model in a plastic body.

This size could be considered a "mission carry" size. Coat or jacket pocketable, longer runtime, and more "persuasive" heft than a one or two CR123 cell light.

bitslammer

Enlightened
2D certainly = better runtime but I still think C's have much to offer in terms of size and more importantly weight. A 2C with 2-4 extra cells would shave quite a few ounces off of a pack as compared to D's. It was also noted in anohter thread that you might find C cells more easily in a natural disaster as people would be raiding the D's more quickly.

It is a sad fact about what you brought up about how there are few (maybe none) lights that actually make use of the smaller size as the 2C lights are not much smaller than 2D. IF someone made a light that really took the C form factor into account it would be great. My Inova Radiant is quite large as if the task force. On both of these it seems the head/reflector is the culprit in terms of adding size.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was in another thread on this site (sorry, can't remember where,) but one poster did bring up a valid point about the mainstream consumer being reluctant to pay the same price for a C sized battery that they would pay for a D sized battery that has more than twice the capacity. That having been said though, I really do appreciate a C sized light like the Mags with an LED as there is considerably less weight, yet it still has more than adequate run time for normal usage.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorites is the SL PP 3C Lux. Great output, with about the same length as a 2C Mag or one of the 99¢ 2D lights with the slide switches.

bitslammer said:
IF someone made a light that really took the C form factor into account it would be great.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on the form factor issue. I have a 2C Mag behind my monitor here but the thing is probably literally twice as long as my old Kel-Lite (which is sitting behind the alarm clock on my bedside table - next to a SF C2/P61).

BTW/FWIW, the Mag 2C has had the Mag LED upgrade installed and while it's not exactly going to displace premium lights it sure gave the old Mags a new lease on life - highly satisfactory.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
One of my favorites is the SL PP 3C Lux. Great output, with about the same length as a 2C Mag or one of the 99¢ 2D lights with the slide switches.

I've been eyeballing that one for months but was really wanting a 2C sized light. Now I suppose I'll hold off to see how the Cree thing changes things. For a large producer like Streamlight I'd not expect a quick introduction fo Cree's but given their apparent efficiency I think it's worth being patient.

lexina

Enlightened
I think the C-form factor will get a big boost (from CPFers anyway) if we can lay our hands on the elusive C-LiIons! No more need for finicky adapters or tubes - imagine running an ROP/1111 on 2C or a 1331/1185 on 3C. I have 1 Mag1C, 5 Mag2Cs and 2 Mag3Cs just waiting for the day!

JimM

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
2 cell M*gled drop in installed in a 2C with a diffusing lense. Perfect beam if spot/spill works for you.
I like this combo too!
Jim

Nebula

Enlightened
Bright - Very good point, and no doubt true. I for one am happy that J. C. Consumer has bought into the argument that "bigger is better." There are, I suppose, a myriad of reasons for not buying a C powered light, portability, runtime, and power just to name three. Likewise there are a number of reasons to purchase a C size light. One of my personal reasons is that when the sh*t hits the fan - as it does on occsasion - I don't have to rush to the store to beat everyone else to the AAs and Ds. I can take my time because the lowly C is always hanging on the rack. Another reason, and probably the more credible of the two is that the C makes a very good host for 1 or 2 x 18650s. Kirk

Brighteyez said:
It was in another thread on this site (sorry, can't remember where,) but one poster did bring up a valid point about the mainstream consumer being reluctant to pay the same price for a C sized battery that they would pay for a D sized battery that has more than twice the capacity. That having been said though, I really do appreciate a C sized light like the Mags with an LED as there is considerably less weight, yet it still has more than adequate run time for normal usage.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone care to post a rough sketch (or breif description) of what their personal idea of "The Ideal 2C" light might look like?
(type and location of switch - light engine - basic features)

Last edited: