Fenix P1 dismembered

photorob

Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to take apart a fenix P1. I just did and anihalated the inerts. Pics to follow. :ohgeez:

photorob

Enlightened
So here are the results of my frustration. It was going well until I stabbed a hole through the board. There was no going back after that.

The threads still work though even though they are so chewed up. Don't worry this light will live agian some day.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to see that.

What would you do differently now that you know what you know?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
If damage permits.

if it will screw back together, put an "Flupic 2.2" in there.

flupic.jpg

regards.

John.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man - I'm reporting you to the FFAA - Fenix Flashlight Abuse Agency. :D I had never thought of taking a P1 apart as things are soldered in there good on mine and there is so little space in that head I can't imagine trying a mod on it myself. And so bright as it is - unless you were thinking of adding the Cree. I guess a FluPic in there would be a nice mod though...

photorob

Enlightened
It turns out that the head is glued in. If your going to try though heat it up first. The glue is only placed Around the outer edge. I'd say take a small screw driver and use it like a crow bar and loosen up the outer edge of the threads. The outer casing is aluminum so it has some play to it. This will help loosen up the glue on the threads. If you are able to get it apart in one piece then I'd suppose that it probably isn't that hard to mod. Pretty much the same setup as the luxgeon. Can someone point me in the right direction too the flupics.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
mossyoak said:
apparently a xr-e wont work in the light it is horribly out of focus when used with the stock reflector which is built into the head. i asked david chow about it this morning to be exact and he told me to not try it.
Incompatible stock parts haven't stopped able modders from building new lights before. ;)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing: A Dorcy 1aaa is all you'll ever need! You could call it a Dorcree.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know someone here in the last few days had a Fenix P1 modded with a FluPic and if you can get one of those in there you can probably get a XR-E in. I think the biggest problems would be heat and getting a good beam shape to the light coming out with such a short head. Maybe an optic would work for this instead of a reflector? Also let me know if your P1 looked like this head - this one seems to be soldered in place rather than glued in if this is the side you are referring to being glued. Looks difficult to get out as there is a LOT of solder there:
fenixp1qs5.jpg

Latest posts