Running a Surefire off a 6V lead-acid battery...Possible?

Slonie

Newly Enlightened
Is this doable?

293667364_8abdeac129_o.jpg

Assuming I made some type of battery blank to wire up the big battery to the 6P...Is this going to work? Not work? Blow up my expensive Surefire lamps? Thanks in advance for the answer...

It would work, but pointless.
Might as well use a MagCharger or a cordless spotlight. Surefire isn't bright because it's a Surefire. It's small and bright, because it exploits the performance of lithium batteries.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it works.

I (someday) intend to build a lantern with a 6v rechargeable lantern bat and a Surefire P60.
Why? I love the surefire beam, like longer runtimes, and like the idea of having it rechargeable. Plus, I like lanterns.

Go for it!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure it will work. Pocket carry might be somewhat problematic. Runtime should be excellent!

If the battery is fresh off of the charger, I might rest it for a while. If you apply over 7V to a P60 it might flash. You will not be protected by any voltage sag from that battery.

Mark

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Sure it will work. Pocket carry might be somewhat problematic."

Naw...you just need BIG pockets!

Now, where did I put those Hammertime parachute pants....?

skillet

Enlightened
I believe someone tried this and ** POOF** goes the bulb... Primaries sag when the light is turned on and the voltage drops.. I think your setup would mean certain death to P60 and P61 lamp assemblies..

Maybe someone else can give more expert advise..

Gordon aka:skillet

Slonie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies, guys! Now all I need to do is design the method for wiring it up. That, and to test the output voltage and make sure it isn't too high for the lamp.

Now, okay, I sort of forgot to mention the reason for this, and here it is: A bright bike light that will hours of runtime, and more importantly not cost me a few hundred dollars. The battery is from an aftermarket external battery pack kit for my old Canon L2 video camera. It's a little (okay, a lot) heavy for bike use, but we're talking a field-expedient solution here! And with 10 amp-hours I figure it will run for a long, long time.

larryk

Enlightened
I would be a little concerned that the bulb would not last very long or insta- flash. Surefire designs there bulbs for voltage sag in mind using 2 123's. with a 10 amp SLA battery your will get little or no voltage sag.

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
I know someone flashed a 9volt surefire bulb when hooked up to 9volts power supply. it might be worth bearing in mind that it will be fragile and wont like bumps anyway
a 10ah lead acide is going to be very very heavy on a bike, I used to have a 5a one and I got 14.4v and 5ah from NiMH for less weight. 60lumens isn't really enough to ride by anyway and if you've got 10ah you may as well use it. I think you can ge 20watt 6volt MR16 bulbs which should give you a good light source.

Slonie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips, guys. Now thanks to some of the stellar work of other memebers here, I am considering a homebrew CREE with much smaller batteries... Still, this idea might have been fun with the P61!

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it won't work with a properly charged SLA battery like that one. As mentioned, you won't get enough voltage sage and that battery may be labeled as a 6 volt but it really is closer to 7 without a decent load on it. Plus, SF bulbs are already being overdriven in the stock configuration.

But, you could always resistor the voltage down a little if this is a setup you really wanted to do.

Last edited: