4 Sevens
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Default The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Show your Atwoods. Or list 'em. If you don't have one - shame on you. Go buy one.

Link 1

Link 2

peace
    Last edited by powernoodle; 06-15-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Nice gadgets, but the pic is a little underexposed.

What do you use them for?

Some of them look like funky keys.

Flashaholic*

Great collection Powernoodle!

Peter Atwood's tools are fantastic and very handy.

I sold most of my collection but here is part of it (minus a Booger & Ti Keyton):

Damascus wharncliffe Booger
    Tritium Micro Card Knife
    Titanium Prybaby XL
    Stainless Whistle
    Micro Bug Out Bar
    Wedgie 5 and 3

-Dan

Green - the ones that aren't sharpened get used for general prying, scraping, paint can opening, etc. Things you would normal try to do (unsuccessfully) with a knife blade. Always keep one of them on a ring with a Squirt P4. The sharp ones dont get as much attention, though one will get carried when I'm dressed in such a way that I can't carry a folder.

You are right about the underexposure. I took the pic outside in the early morning. I prefer to think of it as intentionally under-revealing the tools characteristics so as to increase their allure.

peace

ok you can go ahead and smack me but do you ever really need them or use them? i meen dont get me wrong they look very cool and i think whenever you need the once a month they are probably great but do you need that many?

Flashaholic*

Well I don't need all of them, but I do use them. I would say I need about 4-5 of them but I like the multiple options. Atwood tools are fantastic, handy, and addicting little pieces. Once you buy about 2 of them, you will wan't to buy them all.

-Dan

Enlightened

Some pics of mine here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaybee6...353712/detail/ - Striped Ti prybaby XLJ and Mini bug-out blade.

Here's some Atwoodies :

There's a couple missing (keyton, Keyrambit, whistle) but by and large here they are clockwise from top left:
    Son-of-Prything, Imp, Imp, Drop point Booger, Damascus Skeeter, Wharncliffe Booger, 3 inch Wedgie, Ti Prybaby, Mini-PrybabyXL, Micro Cleaver, Striped TinyTanto. Whew.....

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle
    Show your Atwoods. Or list 'em. If you don't have one - shame on you. Go buy one.
    I admit the Atwood gadgets are cool, but they are way overpriced. I won't be getting one. The only time I was really tempted to get one was when he did a run of prybabys that had a tritium insert. If those came back I would get one.

I'm not sure how useful they really are or if they are just a status symbol thing to carry. Do you find you actually use them?

"Overpriced" is in the eye of the beholder. The vast majority of civilization likely thinks that most of the lights we buy are overpriced. Maybe they are right. But I don't have a bass boat, don't golf, and don't hit the bars every weekend. Instead, I blow my bucks on nice lights, cool multitools, spendy folders and some Atwoods. Its whatever floats your boat.

I would probably think that housing in the SF Bay area is overpriced.

peace

If you collect something then why would you need it?? He makes Damasteel versions for a lot more money you can never need them but they look great. I don't collect anything and try to have a need for everything I buy, but we are all different. I have an Area 51 Keyton on my keyring and it is very useful. It needs to be well made and made out of the best materials and it is. To me it is worth the money.

I also carry a bug out bar in my bag and that gets less use but again for its size because of the materials and workmanship it punches way above its weight.

Hmmmm........ Do you ever really need them he asks. I don't know....do we ever really NEED all those other things...what are they....oh yeah...lights ?

Cliff

actually they are really usefull, some more than others.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

I have soo much crap i just don't need. Recently i bought my first Atwood a 4inch wedgie. Figured i could add it to the list but i found i use it daily instantly. You should get one and see what i mean for yourself but i find it compliments what ever knife i decided to carry nicely. There are soo many things that i use it for that i'd use a knife for previously and now i realise a knife was not the right tool for the job.
    Price. quality. service.
    they say to pick two and atwood tools fall in there too.
    jimmy
    "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user" Colonel Jeff Cooper >>>100% safe Queen Free!<<<

"Overpriced" is in the eye of the beholder. The vast majority of civilization likely thinks that most of the lights we buy are overpriced. Maybe they are right. But I don't have a bass boat, don't golf, and don't hit the bars every weekend. Instead, I blow my bucks on nice lights, cool multitools, spendy folders and some Atwoods. Its whatever floats your boat.

peace
    What he said!

Very nice. I love the look of his tools, but have yet to buy one. I'm going to ask for one of his whistles for Christmas. I have a whistle on my keychain that I purchased on this site for like $2 and it shows. It isn't very loud at all and it looks like hell after being on my keychain for so long.

peace
    SF Bay area housing cost are way overpriced.

I do have all the toys I want. I probably don't need any of them. I don't hit the bars at all, and the lights we buy are overpirced. But being overpirced hasn't stopped me from owning more lights than I could reasonalbly use in my lifetime.

I don't know who asked if you need them, I didn't re-read the whole thread. But what I would like is for someone to answer the question I had.

Are they something that you use or just ego toys? I am interested in this because if they actually are useful maybe i'll get some of his stuff.

I can see this thread is going to cost me some money.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Gorn - I do find the Atwood prying tools useful. Not as useful as an EDC flashlight or folder, but useful nonetheless. I could get by just fine without one, but I'd rather not. The sharp ones I buy just because I like 'em.

peace

I have the V-notch booger and LOVE it. Compliments my Benchmade Mini-Grip very nicely...
    FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Mr. Atwood makes high quality tools from the very best materials available....you can't go wrong with anything that has his name on it.

I've got my eye on more but for the time being this is the extent of my Atwoods.

Emerson's are for taking apart people.
    Strider's are for taking apart things.
    Some people are things......Mercop

Does Peter ever make any Titanium whistles? One of those would be awesome! I noticed he has an upcoming run of Damasteel whistles, how much does he usually charge for those?

Flashaholic

The Damascus whistles are the Cat's meow.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer
    Does Peter ever make any Titanium whistles? One of those would be awesome! I noticed he has an upcoming run of Damasteel whistles, how much does he usually charge for those?
    I saw the latest whistle before it was sold. I am pretty sure it was $140.

-Dan

I was lucky enough to be the buyer of the Damascus whistle, it was in fact $140. I would highly recommend this piece for the Atwood collector! It is much nicer than the picture shows...
    GG~

While I would love a Damascus whistle I can't justify (or I think the word I really mean is afford ) one right now. I'm going to buy the Stainless steal version which is still very nice for only $35.

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer
    I recently asked him about this as I'd love to have a light Ti whistle. He said he'd love to but the shop that turns his blanks refuses to work with Ti.

fluorescent: Nice collection.

Cliff
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

these look great and i would get one, but to me they seem to be made for left handers? like... when i use a knife cutting from left to right with the blade facing right, i would like the bottom to be flat, not angled, no what i mean? think there would be any of the Drop point booger made from Ti? i would so get one if so, of course if it was made for right handers.
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Flashaholic

Here's the deal....

Go to a Lowes or similar place. Spend <$10 on some little prybars or nail pullers. Stanley and others sell them. Get a cheap grinder at Harbor Freight. Grind off the parts that do not look like a "hugely expensive artistic nail puller".

There ya go!!!!!! Sell 'em on Ebay for Big Bux!!!!!!!

send 10% to me

steve

sorree, edited because my speelling sucks. BUT Im still too smart to fall for THAT!!!!!!
    Last edited by justsomeguy; 11-17-2006 at 10:17 PM.