tigerlight question

richstag

Enlightened
I just received a tigerlight with the premium battery and both slow and smart chargers. I am not going to modify the light except for the ucl I have. I do not know much about the care of rechargeable lights, and know less about the tigerlight in specific. I have seen that there are some real experts on here that I think could help. My question is: can anyone brief me on how to maintain this light (in a dumbed down fashion) using it as it came from tigerlight? Thanks again.
Kevin

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully, JS (Mr. TigerLight) will come along and give you a more complete answer, but I believe Jim has said in the past that you don't want to let the cells get too low, meaning you stop using the light and recharge it when you see it start to dim. It's not best to leave it in the charger 24/7, but you can top it off every couple weeks or so without going through a full discharge. Or you can recharge it more often if you are using the light.

The slow charger charges at the C/10 rate, so it's a trickle charger that takes about 11 hours to fully charge depleted cells. I don't know about the smart charger.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Jim has said often that you should leave the light on the charger for 24 hours on the first charge to equalize the cells.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kevin,

The best way to take care of a NiMh rechargeable light is to use it... often. Problems come from extended storage, and running the light past the point where it begins to noticeably dim down.

When you do a run time test, you will get a base line of performance. You can then use that as a check up comparison, from time to time, to make sure everything is working properly.

If you find yourself using your light for over 30 minutes daily (or nightly :) ), charge it every day. If you use it 30 minutes a week, charge it weekly. During the summer, if you find yourself hardly using it at all, charge it once a month, or if you are not using it at all, once every two months.

When you have done 10-20 discharge/charge cycles, run the light all the way down to where it starts to dim, then do a 16 hour charge (on the slow charger). This will refresh your battery pack.

Tom

richstag

Enlightened
Thank you for the responses! Exactly what I was looking for! I look forward to future interactions!

richstag

Enlightened
I did the initial 24 hour charge and i have run the light a couple of times now and charged it up. I let it run for an hour and it did not dim. Am I looking for a drastic dimming or severe and fast?

richstag

Enlightened
no response? I just want to take the best care of my new light. The more information that I know specific to this light the better I will be able to care for it. I was hoping for some responses from fellow tigerlight owners. I thought that is what these forums are for.

Any Help?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine will start to go dim fast. At that point, I don't use it until I can recharge it. But when I use it regularly, I pretty much know where I am in the charge cycle and I recharge it when I know it's getting low.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rich, Welcome to CPF!

I have two Tigerlights and keep one in the car, always!

I'll give you the same advise that I received upon joining this bunch (which by the way, didn't heed)

"Hold onto our wallet":)

jeffb

richstag

Enlightened
thanks for the welcomes, and by the way, richstag is my last name scrambled around.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kevin,

Now you have come to the most challenging part of this exciting hobby... You need to go out and get another job to fill your wallet back up so you can empty it on more lights... :)

If you get one at off hours, you may be able to put your TigerLight to good use.

Tom

richstag

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Kevin,
If you get one at off hours, you may be able to put your TigerLight to good use.

Tom
Haha, Thanks, my job now is a night shift in the city.

By the way, I love the tigerlight, it makes my ultra stinger seem like junk.

richstag

Enlightened
js said:
Sorry I missed this thread. Let me know if you have any more questions/concerns!

Ok, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. If I have any more questions I will make sure to ask them.