Craftsman 3 D LED

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll find that it is neither a competitor nor does it match the quality of the Mag LEDs. If I were considering the two, I'd be more inclined to spend the extra $5 and get the Mag.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's OK if you can catch a sale. I got one at $15. The beam is not too smooth, with some purple and yellow stuff in the edges of the hotspot, when studied on a wall. There is little difference in appearance between the two levels, but a 2 to 1 current draw difference. Just changing resistors can tune that different if you want. It is a fat sucker, though, much bigger in diameter than a Mag, though shorter. Overall, good usefull light in a rough-and-tumble housing that runs a long time, especially on low.

edit: Brighteyez types faster :) , agree at list price I would rather have the MagLED.

Hondo

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hondo said:
It's OK if you can catch a sale...edit: Brighteyez types faster :) , agree at list price I would rather have the MagLED.

Thanks Brighteyez and Hondo.

Yeah, that's been my impression of the whole line of Craftsman lights: generally over-priced, but decent values if you can catch them on half-price sale.

Hondo, does it look to be fairly easy to change out the resistors?

If it is, I'll try to pick up one of these on sale eventually. Looks to be a great host for an easy mod to produce a decent low level for close up use and very long runtime.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... I stuck the PR module back into the 3AAA LED light and I guess it's okay, but the light isn't of the greatest quality.

The light itself was probably not overpriced at the time of it's initial introduction, though it's technology is a bit overshadowed by current offerings.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Well ... I stuck the PR module back into the 3AAA LED light and I guess it's okay, but the light isn't of the greatest quality.

The 3D has a PR module?

Didn't know that. Certainly that's an advantage for flexibility, modding, etc.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero, yes, as I recall the resistors for the two levels were pretty much in the open, and modding them should be fairly easy. No removable module on this one, as Brighteyez said, but I too ran a 3xAAA Craftsman "bulb" in a 3D Mag, untill the MagLED's came out. They are much better, and with thermal regulation, should last much longer.

Hondo

Illum

Flashaholic
the only two craftsman tools I find to last under stress is its multimeters and basic wrenches...for everything else [like lights] its pfft. :sick2:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hondo said:
ringzero, yes, as I recall the resistors for the two levels were pretty much in the open, and modding them should be fairly easy.

Thanks Hondo.

CPF is truly an amazing resource for info. No matter how obscure the model of light, it seems that at least one CPFer will have taken it apart and know all about its innards.