Cree XR-E into a SF E1L

lukus

Enlightened
O.K. I've searched and didn't find anything about putting the new Cree XR-E into a Surefire E1L. Apparently, the XR-E is really efficient with a one cell light, so the E1L seems like a good host. All the more so because the original LED is focused into such a tight spot that you need a diffuser to get real utility from it. I don't really know that much about modding, so I don't know if this is doable. Would the reflector need to be changed to get the flood benifits of the XR-E? What would it take to do this?

thanks

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd need a reflector if you want a flood beam.

I'm thinking that the KL1 optic might really focus the XRE well since the light goes forward into the optic more than the luxeon. Although the optic was made for the luxeon so who knows?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this is something i too have been wondering about.

Maybe CM has a trick up his sleeve ;)

But how are those New style KL1`s to open?
The old Style SF L1 might do the trick or the old style KL1`s.

Benny

lukus

Enlightened
Doh! You're right Isaac, it does have an optic. And I believe I recall a discussion that changing the optic to a lens would be difficult at best. I just like that little body, nice compromise in size for a good, all-around light. Seems to beg for an XR-E with a good flood/spot mix. It would seem a shame to have to keep using a beamshaper if you could get the mod done.