FedEx Shipping- Canucks

savumaki

Enlightened
Need some feedback Canucks;
I have always had stuff shipped USPS and rarely have any problems. I now have an order with a co. that uses FedEx exclusively; what has been your experience with them?

Tks---------Karl

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FedEx Shipping- Canuks

Expensive.

Just like UPS, FedEx charges a brokerage fee in the amount of $35 or so (doesn't matter the value of the goods). The "fee" from using USPS amounts to CAD $5.00.

I use USPS exclusively.....except for exceptionally high priced products (we're talking about greater than $1000).

WP

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Expensive.

Just like UPS, FedEx charges a brokerage fee in the amount of $35 or so (doesn't matter the value of the goods). The "fee" from using USPS amounts to CAD $5.00.

I use USPS exclusively.....except for exceptionally high priced products (we're talking about greater than $1000).

WP

Same here. No USPS = no order placed by me.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

One other thing to consider - how far away is the nearest Fedex office. If you are not hone when USPS/Canada post delivers, it wii be sent to the 'nearest' post office. The courier companies' office can be at the airport or the next town. In my dase the Fedex office is on North Service Road in Burlington and I don't have a car.

savumaki

Enlightened

Well the order (value $200) is in the pick stage so I think I can convince them to ship USPS which I've had good luck with. I don't have to worry about the charges since the shipping is free but I am concerned with how its handled at customs.
In the mail we end up with GST and 'handling' but with carriers :mecry:, who knows.
I know UPS is a killer but I don't remember ever getting anything via FedEx.

LEDninja- you can always visit Costco/Home depot/Lee Valley Tools while you're up there (NS rd) :grin2:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big courriers Like Fed-X and Purolator comes at a great fee, there is no "gamble" on avoiding customs delays, and fees.

savumaki

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
The big courriers Like Fed-X and Purolator comes at a great fee, there is no "gamble" on avoiding customs delays, and fees.

Well it is pre-paid but I don't quite get this part "there is no "gamble" on avoiding customs delays, and fees."?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I use USPS exclusively also, paying by Canada Post Money orders payable in US dollars and trying to keep my purchases small as possible to reduce the chance of having to pay duties and GST.

I've bought two Arc lights in the past from a US company willing to ship via USPS, but none since, because Arc is the only distributor now and they resolutely refuse to post using USPS.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
savumaki said:
Well it is pre-paid but I don't quite get this part "there is no "gamble" on avoiding customs delays, and fees."?

The big couriers will undoubtably go through customs, where USPS is hit and miss.
If you order a light from a member via USPS there is a very small chance it will get flagged by customs, if it goes by courier, customs is part of the process, inevitably.
Customs is usually pretty quick, they open it (sometimes) and look for a bill, then tax you on the info with that bill.
For example, Surefire sent back a warranty flashlight to my home in Canada, through a courier, between customs and the courier I was hit with $70 in fees for a warranty job.
I have had "prepaid" items show up with an extra fee due on delivery.

The best way I have found is USPS priority, it comes fast, slides through customs then is sent via courier to your door. Fast and affordable. :)

cy

Flashaholic
how do you ship USPS priority to canada?

do you mean Global Priority Mail?

my experience based upon shipping a few packages to canada offers the worst service VS anywhere else in the world.

average shipping take 2-4 weeks no matter the method. lost my only two shipments out of hundreds of packages shipped.

Pydpiper said:
The best way I have found is USPS priority, it comes fast, slides through customs then is sent via courier to your door. Fast and affordable. :)

savumaki

Enlightened
Pydpiper- I thought thats what you meant; I agree the carriers are surefire 'pay the gst plus' but sometimes its still worth it, I am going to insist they send it USPS, priority if possible.

Cy- on this side USPS works best for us; it takes time to get here because it goes thru the customs process (being a pkg), whether they open it or not is a crap shoot.
BTW- the only pkg I ever lost from the US came empty since it had been opened in the mail system on its way to a USPS sorting station.

tks for the info people

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
how do you ship USPS priority to canada?

do you mean Global Priority Mail?

Yes, that is what I meant.. It was the method used to get my M3T to me.
Sorry you had such bad luck getting things to Canada, to date I have lost nothing, coming or going.. Phew.

jtice

Flashaholic
I will use any of them to ship TO me, if I am ordering from a website, etc.

but I will only ship with USPS.
Its the cheapest, easiest, most reliable for me.

I have had BAAAAAAAD looking packages from Fed-Ex and UPS before.
One was a "box" from UPS, that was now a "sack" you couldnt find an edge or corner on it.

Then there was the accordion my digital camera came in from FED-Ex... :ironic:
IMG_6038.sized.jpg

IMG_6036.sized.jpg

~John

TOMTEC

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez: I just ordered a UPS replacement battery from Buy.com! I wonder how sealed lead acid cells will fare after the accordion treatement? Might make a nice mess in the back of the truck!

TOMTEC

jtice said:
I will use any of them to ship TO me, if I am ordering from a website, etc.

but I will only ship with USPS.
Its the cheapest, easiest, most reliable for me.

I have had BAAAAAAAD looking packages from Fed-Ex and UPS before.
One was a "box" from UPS, that was now a "sack" you couldnt find an edge or corner on it.

Then there was the accordion my digital camera came in from FED-Ex... :ironic:
IMG_6038.sized.jpg

IMG_6036.sized.jpg

~John