Panasonic Carbon Zinc Super Heavy Duty at Target

Holiday specials.
four pack AAA, AA, C and D are buck a pack.
9v two pack is also buck a pack.

They're in holiday theme package that reads "Happy Holidays" and I found them near the cashier stations. I think they're holiday only items.

Instead of the usual 1.5years, these carbon zinc batteries have a shelf-life of four years. I tried the Ds Maglite and they are actually just as bright as alkaline and much lighter. I think these are pretty good cheapo flashlight spare batteries and considering the cost of 9V alkaline batts, they're definitely great for alarm clock power backup power.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic make good zinc chloride battery`s, I have never had one leak yet.

the AA and AAA are great for remote controls.

they sell the 2 x 4AA packs in the UK for £1.00

regards.

John.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
I've been meaning to ask about this... alkalines irst came out when I was a kid (1970's). At that time I remember Duracell claiming that the new alkalines would outlast carbon-zincs by 5x.

So why are C-Z's still around? Cost? Have they been advanced technologically since those days as well as alkalines, perhaps enough to make them still economically viable? Do they do better in extreme low-current applications, like remotes and smoke alarms?

It does seem, at least, that they've improved shelf lives on them... back when the alkalines first came out, one of their marketing points was much better shelf lives... IIRC the old C-Z's were done if they sat for a year.

MorePower

Enlightened
Canuke said:
So why are C-Z's still around? Cost? Have they been advanced technologically since those days as well as alkalines, perhaps enough to make them still economically viable? Do they do better in extreme low-current applications, like remotes and smoke alarms?

It's mostly a cost thing. Heavy duty cells still sell well in less affluent parts of the world. The are most suited for low drain applications, but are not better than alkaline cells. Alkalines still have a much greater capacity. I use heavy duty cells in most of my remote controls and smoke detectors, because I change them every 6 months anyway.