Ambient temperatures when charging

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I just moved all my chargers out to my attached garage, since my recently acquired Maha C808M wasn't going to go over too well sitting on the kitchen counter. Right now, ambient temps run about 50 - 60 deg F., and may even drop to the upper 30's on the coldest nights.

While I initially thought cooler temps could only be good for cells, I'm now wondering about problems. E.g., thermal protection not kicking in, end of charge based on voltage not working correctly if voltage is depressed by the cold, etc.

The new Maha will probably end up at work, but I'll continue to use a Titanium TG2800, an Energizer 15-Min., and soon a Maha MH-C9000 at home, and I'd like to keep those operating in the garage if the temps. aren't a problem.

Am I asking for trouble by charging at temperatures above freezing, but below normal room temperatures?

NiOOH

Enlightened
Hi JackJ.
Charging at low temperatures is not recommended because it decreases the rate of some chemical reactions inside the cell. While 50-60 F is still within the limit for ambient charging, somewhere in the 30's may be just too cold, especially if you are charging at currents over c/2.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jack,

I was reviewing the data sheet from GP batteries and noticed that they state the minimum temperature for charging is 0C = 32F.

You may want to invest in an inexpensive ice chest and set your charger inside for cold weather charging. The heat from the charger should keep things in the 40-50F range even when it is colder outside.

Tom