Cheap DIY "magic resistor" type circuit?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I need to build four (4) circuits that will fit in a C mag body space, and each needs to regulate 1amp of current to an led, with an input voltage of no less than 3.6v-4v (3xC NiMH).

They can be in-efficient, no problem. Burn up the extra tenths of volts in themselves and what not. But having a voltage drop of .7 would not work, so I don't think a LM317T would work.

Something that doesn't require tons of SMT resistors/caps is nice. Like something you add resistors to and it does it's thing like the LM317T is what I'm looking for.

Runtime won't be affected much, and I don't think much heat/energy will be wasted since the batteries are really close to the VF of the leds. (Vf should be somewhere around 3.4 or so)

HELP?! Thanks :)

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
get ahold of burnt retinas... he's always ready to help

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
LM317s typically have 2-3V drop in the regulator, and 1.2V in the set resistor when set up for constant current mode.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The '1086 has a dropout of 1.3V, and uses 1.25V of feedback, for 2.5V of dropout.
The '8340 has a dropout of about 1.0V at higher currents, and still uses 1.25V for feedback, so still 2.25V of dropout, if it can even be configured as a current regulator.

What you're wanting to do isn't very easy. How about a pair of protected 18650s in series (7.4V nominal), and a shark boost regulator from the sandwich shoppe? That ought to work nicely...though would be rather expensive.

The other option would be to forgo a regulator and just use resistors. You should get relatively flat output because of the NiMH cells, but it's definitely not as nice as a regulated light.