trit issue?

Illum

Flashaholic
since i dont know where this may be appropriate, I choose to put it here under general...move as necessary:)

from don's thread / post http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1206717&postcount=1

My trits in the mclux isnt this bright...its quite frankly dimmer than the glow-in-the-dark o-rings which sorta bothers me....

its a good indicator to find the light at night, its fine....but...any idea how to make it brighter?

as you can see....um.....thats about the amount of light I get at night...:ohgeez:

B@rt

Flashaholic
You'd have to replace it. It should definately be more visible than a glowring, except when freshly charged. Don's pic is a bit optimistic though. ;)
I happen to know someone who sells that size... :whistle: :lolsign:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem with an SS/tritium bezel from 4sevens (now resolved).

When I recieved it, two of my trits were glowing away like crazy, the other one was practicaly dead, giving off the same amount of light as yours is (i.e. none).

Absolutely no signs of breakage or damage, just no glow - I suppose that there are just duds every now and then.

CFU

Illum

Flashaholic
B@rt, I was expecting you to go @#$% about my hot linked pics being too big on resolution:ohgeez:

how much do you sell yours? and how do i dig the old one out?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Nah, they are fine, and since they are already on CPF I'll condone it... :p
I think something like acetone should work to remove the old epoxy.
Here is my sales thread. ;)

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some tritium vials are photographed when they are illuminated by UV light. It makes them glow more so they work with daylight level photographs. (The camera does not have the tremendous sensitivity range that the human eye does.)

So, I think in some pictures the tritium vials are a little brighter than in life.

Scott

Illum

Flashaholic
oooo

i didnt notice, I have a couple of coldsolderjoints UV dorcy 1AAAs and yep...their bright alright...under the light:naughty:

Something tells me that I should not tell others about the "cheat" in Don's pic...:huh:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I read about the "cheat" from Don's post in answer to someone's question about how he got the vials to look so bright.

It can be misleading, but I don't think I would call it unethical. I don't think the technique is a secret, and it *is* difficult to take a good picture without special lighting sometimes. Tritium does look pretty bright when your eyes are adjusted.

Scott

cryhavok

Enlightened
Yes I remember Don stating that he photographs all his lights with tritium with the aid of a UV light...

E

Elecktrode231

whats the point of trits anyway....

just decoration and make lights more expensive:rant: ?

E

Elecktrode231

i wont need to see mine...the 4D mag is the biggest light I have on the table beside the bed:grin2:

as far as i know tritium is essentially a rare hydrogen gas....radioactive is it not?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium is radioactive. It decays with a half-life of 12 years (I f memory serves) and emits alpha particles. The alphas basically do not make it out of the vial, so tritium vials are safe. The half life means that, more or less, the vials will be half as bright in 12 years.

I have a military compass with tritium vials that was new in about 1991. It is still plenty usable, but notably dimmer. I used to be able to use it to read by at very close range.

I'm trying to figure out where to glue some of thise vials on my SureFires. I always knock stuff over when I reach for my lights at night.

Scott