Improvements...The Xeray desecrated once again!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can I monkey with such an expensive light without permantly changing its basic integrety?.. Well I've been busy....

So far I have put two large glowrings plus two very small yellow vials and one purple vial "stolen from a nite glowring" and now glowpaint.

Other than just to look like a christmas tree.. I wanted a way to light a very dark trail without need for constant light, or even in an emergency should the battery die or simply to be able to find the light in the dark...
I have several flat vials with titrium I will add and post later...

so here goes:

XerayringtopSmallinscribed.jpg

This is glowpaint put on the ring of the Xeray. The inside as well as the tiny bevel was included. This is probrably about 6 coats of weather proof green glow in the dark paint.

XerayringbottomSmallinscribed.jpg

Same shot bottom side.

XerayFrontLangleSmallinscribed.jpg

Front daylight shot with glowrings also visible.

XerayfrontbottomSmallinscribed.jpg

Front daylight bottom shot

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF!

XerayGlowpaintFrontSmallinscribed.jpg

Immediately after shutdown.. sweet ain't it?

The glowpaint shines much brighter after being charged with the light than even sunlight!

XerayGlowpaintsidebottomSmallinscri.jpg

Side bottom shot

XerayGlowpaintleftbottomSmallinscri.jpg

Side shot

XerayGlowpaintcloseSmallinscribed.jpg

Front shot

And last but not least......

XerayGlowpaintfrontLeftSmallinscrib.jpg

The Starship enterprise.... yea baby, yea!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That is the one practical use I can see for using Glow in the dark paint, and it does look very cool. My only hesitance is that after I blast the hell out of someone using this light....I don't necessarily want to advertise my location. You never know who might be packin' heat, and get pissed off and use that glow ring as a target...especially after reading this "tactical use" thread.

I sort of posted my disappointment with glow in the dark paint/powder for other general uses in this GB feeler. Also that link after the first image didn't work for me. Which paint did you use?

Hey, since you took your "head" off, did you take measurements of your reflector...given that other thread about the R1 & R2 ? Maybe you got a lousy R1....lol!!! You should make sure you didn't get a lemon!!!

:lolsign:

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
That is the one practical use I can see for using Glow in the dark paint, and it does look very cool. My only hesitance is that after I blast the hell out of someone using this light....I don't necessarily want to advertise my location. You never know who might be packin' heat, and get pissed off and use that glow ring as a target...especially after reading this "tactical use" thread.

I sort of posted my disappointment with glow in the dark paint/powder for other general uses in this GB feeler. Also that link after the first image didn't work for me. Which paint did you use?

Hey, since you took your "head" off, did you take measurements of your reflector...given that other thread about the R1 & R2 ? Maybe you got a lousy R1....lol!!! You should make sure you didn't get a lemon!!!

LoL!..thats a good story!... I guess the moral of the story is once you hit an intruder with the light.. don't take it off him until he's a melted stick of butter!

you can always abandon the light if he pulls out a gun and ambush him as he approaches it. He will be blinded and you won't.

I keep another one of my lights handy for sneaking... putting all this stuff on.. definately removes your ability to have the element of surprise!
I guess I could throw a coat over it until I"m ready to turn it on!

Maybe the intruder would think its one of those plasma guns or whatever that was on terminator?.. it may trip him out even more not knowing what he's dealing with.

BTW...
And this glow paint is still glowing the next morning.. just not as bright obviously, but I knew that. The Xeray's charge the heck out of this glowpaint though!

I didn't 'measure my reflector... I"m pretty sure mine is fine. If Dan ever makes one with tighter throw, Ill upgrade.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
....I don't necessarily want to advertise my location. You never know who might be packin' heat, and...

I can just see this-
bad guy one: That freaken light blinded me!!!
Bad guy two: Give me the gun and I will aim for the center of the green ring!!! :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtbkndad said:
I can just see this-
bad guy one: That freaken light blinded me!!!
Bad guy two: Give me the gun and I will aim for the center of the green ring!!! :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Have you ever had a friend stand about 20 yards away and shined this light at you?.. you wouldn't even be able to see the end of your gun to aim! :laughing:

Remember the bad guy will assume you have a gun on him too.. you have the edge in the intimidation game.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
In all the classic war movies where the enemy is shining their spotlight to highlight & kill your troops.....what is the first thing they do to that spotlight? LOL!!!!

I can just picture you as the bullets come zinging over your shoulder, and you shout out frantically: "WAIT !!! LET ME GET MY COAT OFF TO COVER THIS UP!!!"

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
In all the classic war movies where the enemy is shining their spotlight to highlight & kill your troops.....what is the first thing they do to that spotlight? LOL!!!!

I can just picture you as the bullets come zinging over your shoulder, and you shout out frantically: "WAIT !!! LET ME GET MY COAT OFF TO COVER THIS UP!!!"

Well I guess your screwed if you have more than one guy with a gun..... maybe you better have a gun too! :xyxgun:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I went out last night and was playing around and when I came in, I turned the light off and went into my bedroom which was totally dark... the glowpaint around the reflector gave enough light on the 4.5 inch ring that I was able to literally see great in the bedroom almost as if I had a soft glow flashlight....

When I look at the reflector I keep thinking "now thats a glowring!"

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ususally you mount a light onto a gun... but maybe I do need lasar sights on this and then I can mount a gun onto a light!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Which brand of glow paint did you use?

here... the glow the next morning if pretty nill and nothing compared to the first two hours or so....but it is still there....

But I don't really expect to use my light for 5 minutes and then have another lesser light for 12 hrs...... But this really helps get through the inbetween times when your light is not on.. if its really dark.

I suppose in about an hour, maybe two... its still equal brightness to one of my large glowrings.

I would have to do some actual test and pay better attention to give reliable info.. thats just my lousy memory....If I thought the camera would be accurate, I could take some timed shots... since the large glowring is a constant.. maybe it would compare, I don't know.

They advertize 12+ hours..... I suppose the thicker the layer and better the capture and the charge.

Its like someone said.. where do you draw the line to define "still charged"?
It would be nice if they put out something that defined 1/2 time.... like most other radiant materials..then you can use your imagination to figure the rest.

I bought a whole pint because I looked like the best bang for the buck.. unless you really got crazy!.... anyway.. I opened the lid and stuck my Xeray point blank above the solution and charged it.. then I walked over and showed my wife.... she was freaked!.... it looked like some kind of extremly bright garbely goo drink from some witches brew!.... pretty knarly!

It takes energy to make energy, so reasoning tells me, they could make glowpowder that lasted much longer, but it wouldn't be as bright... almost like a "slow release" formula......

It would be nice to have a choice..... if it was all slow release and lasted longer, then applications where folks want it really bright for the effects minutes after exposure would be upset.

But its really really bright for the first 10 - 15 minutes!... I'm amazed at how much light it captures and later releases.

But you do need a good thick coat.... I put one coat on a stir stick and it was pretty lame.

I still don't know if your supposed to stir this stuff.. but I did initially just to be sure.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just don't want to mess or customize my XeRay like you did...and you would never be able to get all that off if you changed your mind.

Just for the hell of it, I got the powder from their site and another one. It is kind of fun to play with.

I did find that the CP2-06 enamel from Risk Reactor is a little brighter than the same type as you, that I also got from Glow Inc. The only problem is that the CP2-06 separates the suspended powder after you let it sit, with a totally clear enamel on top....so I got the bright idea to siphon off most of the clear laquer on top, leaving the remaining much more highly concentrated...and even brighter as a result than their stock bottle which you have to mix up.

The advantage of the GlowInc brand is it stays well suspended, and my small bottle comes with a nail polish cap brush & size...so it's handier to use, and dries faster.

The best use I have found so far for glow paint is a couple layers on the outside flat surface of my door lock so flashing even a quick light on it makes it easy to pop the key right in the slot. Plus I mounted the Large Glow Tritium stick at a 90 degree angle....so I'm all set for those many times the porch light is off.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
I just don't want to mess or customize my XeRay like you did...and you would never be able to get all that off if you changed your mind.

Just for the hell of it, I got the powder from their site and another one. It is kind of fun to play with.

I did find that the CP2-06 enamel from Risk Reactor is a little brighter than the same type as you, that I also got from Glow Inc. The only problem is that the CP2-06 separates the suspended powder after you let it sit, with a totally clear enamel on top....so I got the bright idea to siphon off most of the clear laquer on top, leaving the remaining much more highly concentrated...and even brighter as a result than their stock bottle which you have to mix up.

The advantage of the GlowInc brand is it stays well suspended, and my small bottle comes with a nail polish cap brush & size...so it's handier to use, and dries faster.

The best use I have found so far for glow paint is a couple layers on the outside flat surface of my door lock so flashing even a quick light on it makes it easy to pop the key right in the slot. Plus I mounted the Large Glow Tritium stick at a 90 degree angle....so I'm all set for those many times the porch light is off.

Nice idea about the siphoning.. of course there is a price of the hassle, but I can see how you could end up with very nice results..

A rabbit trail slightly off subject.....
I fixed my porch issue, I just moved and I've redone almost everything on my old house to sell it as well as the one I bought to make it comfy... they make very attractive brass or whatever porch lamps that come already with motion detection. I set mine to turn back off in about 5 minutes.
If you get one.. make sure it has the "pulse technology".. that removes false detections from rain, bugs etc, that seems to actually work very well.
When I walk out or in, I never have to worry about lights at all!..

As far as keys.. this is what I had on my old house and loved it and used it for about 7 years, with a battery change every one to 1.5 years or so. I picked mine up at home depot.
I put in on my new house also.... I highly recommend it... you can put a secondary code "use as temporary" for a service man etc" when needed too. Give the code to family "or not" and change the code "or codes" (has two you can use) whenever you like.

NO keys.. no darkness...

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
I did find that the CP2-06 enamel from Risk Reactor is a little brighter than the same type as you, that I also got from Glow Inc.

Interesting chart they provide.. I wonder how that stacks up the Glow.inc's stuff... after 12 hours its showing a #4, compared to 17310 initially... Thats not even percievable with the naked eye I'm guessing!

I also see in 30 seconds, the brightness drops to 1/4th... Wow!
Within 5 minutes, its down to 1/20th it original brightness.... I'll have to go play with mine again... Maybe it really does, but I don't think it tapered that crazy..

Plus, they must be using a different measurement... thiers says 17310 as the initial brightness.. mine has a rating of 25914... whats up with that?

Here is the brightness chart of the glow.inc
*brightness is measured in mcd/m2, as reported by LS-100 instrument after a 10 minute charge from 1000lx.

Looks like the taper of the two products are pretty equal.

Also the higher density the particles, the more it wants to fall out of suspension and is harder to paint etc....

The absolute best way to get really good brightness is to get the fine stuff and mix it yourself super concentrated.. it will stay in suspension well until it dries and be really bright too.

Last edited: