"Wall" of light..with some punch in the middle?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Trying to find a good light for walking in the country at 0-dark-thirty. Seems lights either throw like mad, or make it only to about your feet, or sidespill so big it makes foggy mornings look like something in a sci-fi flick.

I shall continue my search!:)

fishx65

Enlightened
I picked up a couple of Tec 40's and put XPR 103 xenon Radio shack bulbs in them. Wall of light with some punch in the middle describes these lights perfectly! These are incan so I would always carry a small led for back-up. Picked up the Tec-40's at REI.com for 6 bucks each and the bulbs were $2.30 each. The halogen bulbs they came with produced a horrible beem. These will out-throw my 6p by a good margin!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree A19 I just got fits the bill!!!

I can't get over the "spoty flood" and just amazing output from such a tiny torch

straightblast said:
Trying to find a good light for walking in the country at 0-dark-thirty. Seems lights either throw like mad, or make it only to about your feet, or sidespill so big it makes foggy mornings look like something in a sci-fi flick.

I shall continue my search!:)

Burgess

Flashaholic
fishx65 said:
Picked up the Tec-40's at REI.com for 6 bucks each

Just looked on REI.com, and they are listed at $19 each.

Am i overlooking something ?
huh2.gif

Thank you for any help you can provide.

They are listed at CampMor for $10. (close-out)
So $6 would be a great deal.
smile.gif

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think that Tec stuff is overpriced for what you get. I have a 4AA incan from Big Lots that cost me about $2. I think the reflector is bigger too.

The stock bulb that came with it was pretty bright. A 3 cell Maglite bulb was brighter. Put an ancient mystery bulb in it that's obviously way overdriven, but even brighter than the 3 cell bulb and works fine.. so far.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Straightblast ... If you have not tried a Huntlight FT-01 in black color for only $33 ......... you should .

Wide spot/good spill/decent throw ..... Good all-round light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrolumens TriBlaster 3x3W-3C or 3xK2-4C has a very big hotspot with some sidespill. I only have the 3x3W 4AAA My Little Friend, very impressed with the beam, but the runtime of the 4AAA is not enough for walks in the woods. Beamshot: (the tri-blasters do not have low mode)
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1330609&postcount=128

Take a look at PoliceScannerMan's beamshots. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
PSM's Super Shootout! A19 Cree XR-E vs. 17 of my best led lights!!!
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139188

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello straightblast:)

Take a look to multiple Led-lights. Perfect beams and long runtimes too. A lot of possibilitys, hosts, leds, batt-configurations, DD or regulated, small ones or larger ones, different price ranges.

Best regards

____
Tom

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
Is there a price range? My Surefire 9N could be described as putting out a wall of light. It literally turns the dark into day and covers a huge area. You could almost call it a portable sun. It also has pretty impressive throw. At the same time its rechargable so if you will be using it a lot its the way to go. The initial price may be high but if used frequently it will pay for itself. Surefire no longer makes the 9N and is now producing the 9AN. You could also get something like a SF 8NX or a Streamlight Stinger, which are a little bit cheaper but also rechargable.

I think that Tec stuff is overpriced for what you get. I have a 4AA incan from Big Lots that cost me about $2. I think the reflector is bigger too.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Surefire? There is usually a Streamlight model that will do everything that any Surefire will do for half the price. The Princeton Tec line is waterproof to 500m and is designed to be abused outdoors. They are very good lights and have excellent beam quality. The beam on my PT Tec40 is perfectly round with no artifacts at all. I think its an excellent buy for the cash. I don't think a light that puts out 40 lumens of flawless bright light that is waterproof to 500m is overpriced at $16.

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
I can't comment on too many brands, but I can say with certainty that the SureFire L2 is a magnificent light for walking or hiking. Twist on for 10 hours of regulated flood on low. The "warm spot" will not ruin your night eyes. The power and quality of the low beam are plenty to see your feet AND 30 feet ahead of you AT THE SAME TIME. Press for momentary high for maybe 60' of throw in the true dark. It comes with a nice neck lanyard too. I cannot recommend the L2 too highly for this purpose.

W.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
An Ledbeam 3C modded with a Lux III UV1K on direct drive from 3 nimh cells really rocks. Total cost $40 for the light with U bin!

Tachy

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Straightblast:
I've wrestled with the same problem. Consider these four:

1. Surefire L5 LED:
Its beam is truly a wall-of-light-with-punch. Kinda like an L4 flooder, but with very decent throw. It's my main walk light because its wide beam does not require continuous 180-degree scanning. It also has enough punch to cut through ambient light from tree shadows, etc. In "country-dark" conditions at o-dark-thirty, it'll shine a pretty long way.

2. Pelican 2390 LED:
At about $85, it's a bargain. Less usefull flood than the L5, but more narrow/focused throw and longer runtime.

3. Surefire C3 Incan:
While the 6P and C2 would work, the C3 has a better discharge curve, runtime, and throw... along with a nice floody "wall." Good emergency impact weapon, too, especially if fitted with an optional SF shock bezel.

4. SF A2 Incan/LED:
It's LEDs are too weak for most walking conditions, but its flat (regulated) incan beam is well-balanced. I use my A2 when fog/humidity turn most LED beams into the "sci-fi flick" scenario you mentioned.

The "ideal" Walk-Light depends on your particular walking conditions. For some, "little" lights like the Inova X5 or even an Arc-P suffice, though I find them useless walkers but fine for other tasks. You could "go cheap" with the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED, but its beam may not have sufficient flood for your broad needs.

The "perfect" Walk-Light ain't cheap, and two different lights may be required to cover all the bases. Still, the SF L5 comes closest for my suburban walk scenarios. Check out all these lights at FlashlightReviews.com. Pay particular attention to the invaluable Output and Throw charts there to find your best-fit.

dim

Enlightened
For a "walking" and "general purpose" flashlight, with its effective spot and bright spill, I suggest the Gerber LX 3.0 so often that I must sound like a broken record to those who still bother to read my posts. I've reviewed the LX3 HERE.

The new Inova XO seems to offer similar beam characteristics in a 2xCR123 form. I think that the XO will be my next flashlight - or maybe LiON batts and a charger for my MAG 2C or maybe some antennas for my Yaesu FT-817...though, I do need a new power supply for it.. or maybe I should get...oh, I dunno - some damn toy or another...Hmmm - maybe cold intake for the car......

Come to think of it, a MAG 2C with a pair of LiONs and a KPR112, discussed HERE, will provide about 100 incandescent lumens (arguably, more effective outdoors than LEDs) that can be focused from flood to spot as needed with no need to upgrade the stock parts (reflector, lens, etc.). I do something similar with 8xAA in my MAG 2D w/KPR118 - A task light on crack, it's my MAG118. I LIKE IT! A 2C form would be that much sweeter.

dim

ICUDoc

Enlightened
manzerick has it absolutely right- the output from the A19 Crees is fabulous, but the spill is just wonderful. It makes the torch far more useful, as there is no on/off (hotspot/spill zone) effect to make it hard to see your feet. I would use a 2 cell configuration with 800-odd mA drive current to give you nice long battery life.

carrot

Flashaholic
Wall of light with some punch... sounds like my Surefire M3T. Probably an impractical choice for you, though.

madryan

Newly Enlightened
My Surefire L5 is an amazing light. I will prolly pick up an L4 or an E2L in the near future as they are a bit more compact. I love the Inova lights as well and my T-3 is great, but it's a thrower, and doesn't have much spill.

dchao

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes 9D (with D36 mini-turbo head) fits your description very well. This is my night time walking light. Not too heavy either.

You can check out BUZ's 9D setup here.