Inova X5 or T2 ????

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I was at target last night and pretty much left "blinded' looking at all these lights. In particular I was looking at the X5, T2, and XO3.

I can't decide which one to get. The XO3 was considerably brighter but I think it is too big for what I am looking for (carry on inside pocket of jacket). I really like the X5, but I just saw the T2, which seems to be a "tactacle" version of it. The T2 uses one LED, while the X5 uses 5. Which is better? Which is brighter? Does anyone have experience with both that can comment? THANKS.

X Racer

Enlightened
The T2 is bright, but has a bright spot with almost no "flood". The X5 isn't super bright but has a nice smooth flood. Are you looking for a light that can throw a spot or a light that is good for flooding a small area close to you ?

Danbo

Enlightened
Like Xracer said, the X5 has a lot of flood close up, but almost no throw. The T2 is pretty much the opposite. A lot of throw and very little flood. Try the new XO with the new style reflector.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Yea X0 for battery life or for more power the X03, I have the X03 and it rocks. I don't like the X5 but its a big seller, I'd rather pay a tad more for the X0.

X Racer

Enlightened
I was thinking that after I posted, but he only asked about those three lights. The new X0 with the reflector is a fantastic all around light and easily one of my favorite Inovas. It has decent throw and a nice spill beam.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Love the X5. Unusual because I don't really like 5mm LED lights. It's a great battery vampire and looks really cool. No lense to scratch either. I have one in black HA right now to match my black HA E2E's. :)

Galiphrey

Enlightened
In one way of thinking, the X5 is too expensive and too big for being just a direct-drive 5x5mm LED light; BUT it does have a smooth flood output, long runtime, and it is virtually indestructible.

I'll second (third?) the recommendation for the reflectored-XO. I think that one (among your choices) is the most versatile. It's a good choice. (Also, I find the Inova TIR optics.... weird.)

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Bill97z said:
I know what is going to happen, I am probably going to end up with both.

I will look into my crystal ball and predict what is going to happen: your search will eventually expand beyond the walls of Target. :)

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at mainly the T2 and X5 because of the their slim size. If I was going to go with the larger X0, I think I would just go a tad bit larger and get the X3 which I think is superior to the XO. If these guys really outperform the X5 and T2, perhaps I should be looking at them since the price point isn't much different. Anyhow, this will be a light to keep in my inside jacket pocket so size is key here. I know what is going to happen, I am probably going to end up with both. I was set on the X5 but can't visualize the "flood" characteristic you all describe compared to the how the T2 would perform. In target, the X0 and X3 hurt my eyes much more than the X5 when I stared into the beam!

pilou

Enlightened
Bill97z said:
If I was going to go with the larger X0, I think I would just go a tad bit larger and get the X3 which I think is superior to the XO.

The X03 is definitely brighter, but they are different types of light. The XO3 is a great spot light, with limited but in my opinion still useful spill. The XO has a lot more side spill. The X03 can run for about 2.5 hours whereas the XO batteries should last a little over five hours.

Btwy, I have a T1. The T2 is slightly bigger and brighter, but it has a much longer run time. I think it is a great little light.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I think I am going to go with the X5. Can't beat the price and I love the look of it. Also something to be said for the battery life since this will be an everyday light. If I need more "throw" I will pick up an T2 or XO in the future.

GreySave

Enlightened
<<If I need more "throw" I will pick up an T2 or XO in the future.>>

That's a good way to look at these lights. Think of them as tools with a different tool for each different job. You may well end up with at least three lights....The X5 for close flood, the T2 for spot throw with no side spill, and the X0 for a combination of spot throw and side spill. At least that's what I used to tell myself...Three will do it. Then the madness kicks in. (See my signature).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two favorite Inovas are the X0 (old version) the X5 and the X1, all for the slimline case. I do love the X03 ubt not quite as much because of gthe flared heard design.

You might also like the new X02 which is the same as the old X0. A slimline case that is larger than the X5 but still easily and comfortably slipped into the hip pocket. It has a nice medium range beam for my uses.

g_man

Newly Enlightened
Lets be real here. If you need to defend yourself, the light output from a Inova is not going to stop anyone. If you are talking about LED light for defense, then think K2 Stunner or WiseLED Tactical. 1000 lumens straight in the eyes will will bring a twinkle to anyones eyes.

BTW, not dissing Inova. I have a T3 and it is a great all purpose light.

Bill97z said:
I wanted to see the blinding effect, just in case I needed to use one of these in defense.

InfidelCastro

Banned
My X5 has already gotten a bit of use since I bought it last week. I love how it's still bright even though I use batteries that won't power my incans anymore. With mostly dead batteries it's still brighter than my NightIze Minimag with mineral glass lense.

I used it walking around at work one night, I used it last night looking for stuff in the garage and shed. Used it to do some quick vehicle repairs under the hood last night. I'm using it tonight. Love it!!