Shipping rate inscrease.

Spork

Enlightened
I just sold a game on ebay and charged the guy 4 bucks for shipping. it fit in a small box and wasn't that heavy so i figured 4 dollars should be about the max cost for usps. came to 5.44 with 10 bucks insurance. they said rates increased and you are getting charged based on how far the package goes. these shipping rates are getting rediculous. i have been selling off old games and other things on ebay to clear things out around here and make a little extra cash. its hardly worth the trouble to sell something now(especially on ebay) unless whatever your selling is worth 50+ dollars. ebay snorts up their part and
people will only buy if you use paypal or they spam you like crazy saying they will buy from you if you sign up and refer them. hopefully the rates wont be as bad for ordering stuff online since businesses get a discount dont they? I've also had trouble with a lot of buyers on ebay then you gotta file a non paying bidder alert and wait forever to get your $ back for what ebay took away. well this SUCKS! shippers wont be getting extra money off me because i simply wont be using them as much.

Chris

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris:

The up to 1# USPS priority post package that cost $3.95 in June now costs either $4.45 or $4.55, I forget which. The increase was a considerably larger percentage than the $0.34 stamp going to $0.37.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
The increase was a considerably larger percentage than the $0.34 stamp going to $0.37.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They sure didn't publicize this like they did with the last increase. I sent all my bills out before I even knew the rate went up, so I expect to get a lot of payment overdue notices and late fees before the "insufficient postage" envelopes all make their way back to me and I get them all re-sent.
tongue.gif

Talk about being a day short and a dollar late.
blush.gif

r2

Enlightened
I think we are being hit with the costs of anthrax detecting equipment and other post-9/11 changes. Fortunately I still have almost a whole book of 1 cent stamps from the last increase (and miraculously I even found it!)

- Russ

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stack of $0.03 prestamped plain postcards purchased by my parents at the post office in the early 1950's.

I found them in my mother's house after she passed away in 1987 a year after my father died. I just found them again after we moved everything around for new carpeting.

The catch-up stamps to get to the current postcard rate of $0.2X will be an interesting combination.

Empath

Flashaholic
Lemlux, they may be worth more than present day postage to collectors.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
on ebay most just factor the overhead into the starting bid or reserve.
as for paypal if you get the debit card you get back 1.5% when you use it.
so its not as bad a hit as it looks.
most folks wont even look further at any auction that does not accept paypal/billpoint.i dont either unless it is someting very rare or a real steal.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath:

I suspect these $0.03 blank manilla cardboard cards were sold by the post office in the millions. Even at 50 years old, I doubt if they're special to collectors.

Starlight

Enlightened
I can't understand why people complain about the $.37 stamp. Mail takes 37 days to be delivered. $.01 per day for mail service is cheap!