Timbuk2 bags...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my backpack, but find it difficult to access things while wearing it. This is the biggest drawback.

Sooo, I noticed one of the docs wearing one. I think it is the smaller "Metro" model. I looked at one in a store...looked pretty nice, and should be plenty large enough for around-town duties.
I think it will be easier to access, and there is a water bottle pocket on the inside (pretty nice, but I wish it were on the outside).

My only question is: how does it "ride"? Does it bounce around like crazy, or will it stay tucked on the right flank while walking?

Any opinions on the Timbuk2 bags? I read somewhere that the Maxpedition bags are nice...but, they allegedly don't stay put, tending to bounce around a lot.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I have a custom size small Timbuk2 bag that I ride with every day (all year, rain snow or shine) on my bicycle commute to work here in downtown Chicago - it's awesome. It doesn't bounce at all - I use the cross-strap that you can attach, which makes it very stationary.

The custom ones are made in the USA, whereas the premade are made overseash, if that matters to you. You can request samples of all of the colors in both material types, and they'll send them to you for free, which is awesome, as the web viewed on varying monitors doesn't really show colors accurately.

Anyways, I love mine. Durable (mine still looks new, even though it's been through... a lot), waterproof (again, Chicago rain and snow storms... dry as bone inside), and roomy - even the small size is good for a change of clothes and a few other items.

john

wiredgargoyle

Newly Enlightened
I own three Timbuk2 bags, one of which was 'stolen' by the wife for her everyday needs. My oldest bag is nearly 10 years old and it's still in excellent condition after daily weather abuse. The colors don't seem to fade much so make sure you like the combination you choose!

They're real messenger bags designed to be used as such, meaning slung crossways over the shoulder and slid around to rest on the back. The waist strap is secured to prevent it from sliding forward while swinging from side to side while pedaling or dodging traffic. I have no problem with it sliding around while walking about tho'. I would recommend getting the no-slip cover for the shoulder strap and the grab handle, I have one with and one without and 'prefer' the one with them.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
For walking, a lot of people prefer a timbuk2, since it sits more horizontally. For riding, a lot of people prefer a chrome bag, which sits diagonally and "hugs" your entire bag. I used to ride (25 miles daily to and from work) with a timbuk2 and it sat pretty well when half loaded, but awkward when fully loaded, felt good when lightly loaded.
Then I got a chrome bag, which has that little seatbelt release, which I like since I don't have to pull the strap over my head like the timbuk2. I find it rides VERY VERY nicely both on the bike and walking when it's fully loaded and is horrible when hardly loaded.

The timbuk2 bag will bounce a bit no matter what. Since chrome bags are centered diagonally, their center of gravity's a bit higher and they hug very well. Plus they have an extremely nice shoulder pad that makes the cheap strap on the timbuk2's look like a joke (think HDS EDC vs. maglite). It's nice because you can also strap all kinds of holsters to it securely, flashlight, knife, etc.

I have the 2nd to largest and it's huge, I can hold about 10 2 liter bottles in it, or my work clothes, lunch and the occasional package. I'd recommend getting the smallest messenger bag from em or the 2nd smallest (which is about the size of a timbuk2 medium but about 10% wider and 10% less depth and height.

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, in my research, I came across the Chrome bags. They look very nice...but are a bit expensive.

Since I will use it for "around town" or at work, the Timbuk2 might work out well.
The shoulder strap pad looks like a good idea.
I noticed the Metro was surprisingly roomy, because instead of having a bunch of small pockets clustered together, it has essentially one big pocket, with a few small organizers. This makes sense to me, because you can always add organizers, but you can't easily remove sewn-in pockets which tend to eat up space.

What is cool is that I ran into the SWAT nurses ( mobile ICU nurses), and they had on Maxpeditions. I think they were FatBoys or Jumbos, and carried a tiny portable monitor, radio, etc.
I didn't get a chance to ask how they liked them.

Thanks for the good info.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I carried a Timbuk2 bag for a little while... I'll be honest, I was never impressed. Walking or biking, it never "rode" as well as a regular backpack, was less comfortable, and still wasn't that easy to get stuff out of without taking it off.

jch79

The Chrome bags are way too bulky for my taste; not to mention I think the big buckle is... well, ugly.

I bought a shoulder strap pad for my Timbuk2, and have never used it - even for longer rides. And I upgraded and got the top grip handle, and find that unless you have the bag buckled shut (instead of just velcro'd, which is what I prefer), the bag comes open - so I never use the handle.

As for slvoid's comments that it will bounce - I've never had any problems with mine bouncing... maybe your strap has never been adjusted to your body correctly? :shrug: I suppose, as with all clothing & packs, YMMV.

john

Reaper

Enlightened
When I lived in SF, I went down to their store but did not find any of their bags to suit me. I finally decided on a messenger bag from CourierWareUSA. I found their small deluxe model to work well though it does tend to bounce if I have the shoulder strap set to max. length (which I prefer) otherwise the bag is about perfect for me. No problem with getting into the bag, just slide it around and there it is. Front cover flap does not open up either when you velco it closed - also has strap and buckle if you want. Pockets everywhere. Mines been around for 5 years of daily use.

jch79

I can't speak about the Metro bag - it looks pretty small though. :shrug: The small size messenger bag is slightly larger.
Those CourierWareUSA bags seem pretty cool too. I love smaller companies like that.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
I meant for walking. For riding I always use the stabilizer strap, it bounces a little, but not too much. Like reaper, I also walk with my bag strap a bit longer when I had the timbuk2, riding with it cinched tight wasn't bad. Even so, I love the strap on the chrome bag, it's a bit bulky and the buckle is huge but when you have gloves on, the timbuk2 is a joke, it seems like it was designed for small female hands with the tiny buckles and straps.

To be honest, I've never used the smaller sized chrome bags for casual walking. The only time when I have used it for walking was for when I had large packages to carry or when I needed the sheer volume for an over night trip. I did have a timbuk2 medium sized bag that was pretty good for just an overall bag but when you're riding 200+ miles a week with that thing on you, the padded chrome bag feels awesome.

LApolicegear also sells a tactical bag with tons of pockets for radios, lights, batteries, extra ammo, bottles, etc. It seems like a nice bag at a good price. I just like chrome bags cause I've gotten used to the way it sits on my back. Plus the buckle is great when I get home or to work and I don't want to lift an enormouse bag over my self, I can just hit the button and the bag falls right off. Also helps when I get pulled over with 10 pounds of weed, I can just eject the bag and haul it. :naughty:

jch79 said:
The Chrome bags are way too bulky for my taste; not to mention I think the big buckle is... well, ugly.

I bought a shoulder strap pad for my Timbuk2, and have never used it - even for longer rides. And I upgraded and got the top grip handle, and find that unless you have the bag buckled shut (instead of just velcro'd, which is what I prefer), the bag comes open - so I never use the handle.

As for slvoid's comments that it will bounce - I've never had any problems with mine bouncing... maybe your strap has never been adjusted to your body correctly? :shrug: I suppose, as with all clothing & packs, YMMV.

john

jch79

slvoid said:
I meant for walking. For riding I always use the stabilizer strap, it bounces a little, but not too much. Like reaper, I also walk with my bag strap a bit longer when I had the timbuk2, riding with it cinched tight wasn't bad. Even so, I love the strap on the chrome bag, it's a bit bulky and the buckle is huge but when you have gloves on, the timbuk2 is a joke, it seems like it was designed for small female hands with the tiny buckles and straps.

To be honest, I've never used the smaller sized chrome bags for casual walking. The only time when I have used it for walking was for when I had large packages to carry or when I needed the sheer volume for an over night trip. I did have a timbuk2 medium sized bag that was pretty good for just an overall bag but when you're riding 200+ miles a week with that thing on you, the padded chrome bag feels awesome.

LApolicegear also sells a tactical bag with tons of pockets for radios, lights, batteries, extra ammo, bottles, etc. It seems like a nice bag at a good price. I just like chrome bags cause I've gotten used to the way it sits on my back. Plus the buckle is great when I get home or to work and I don't want to lift an enormouse bag over my self, I can just hit the button and the bag falls right off. Also helps when I get pulled over with 10 pounds of weed, I can just eject the bag and haul it. :naughty:
LOL!! I've never thought about why I'd need to quick ditch my bag - I suppose Johnny Law chasin' you & your goods down would be a good reason!

I ride with REI mittens in the winter, and the cross-strap buckle on the Timbuk2 bag isn't a pain for me to unbuckle (neither is taking off my Bell Ghisallo helmet buckle) :shrug: - maybe I have "small female hands" like you mentioned!! :laughing:

Like I said above, with all clothing & bags/accessories, since we all have different body frames, and preferences, and uses, YMMV.

john

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm just dumb and clumsy. Dumbsy.

Here's another scenario. You're riding along and all of a sudden your bag starts rumbling and you remeber the stash of 50 2xCR123 pelican flashlights in your bag with mismatched cells.. what do you do now? You slow to a stop, lift the bag over your head in a panic, at which point the stabilizer strap becomes tangled around your neck just in time for your bag to become the biggest hydrofluric spewing firework in town for hazmat. Or.. you hit it and ditch it. :grin2:

Last edited:

jch79

Wow... that puts things into perspective... ha ha ha!

Note to self: take mismatched cells out of secret stash of 50 2x123 pelicans, and throw them away - it's not worth it.

On a separate note, if anyone ever needs to know if a 1.75 liter bottle of Maker's Mark bourbon fits in the Timbuk2 small messenger bag, it does - and it did, last night! :naughty: :buddies: :green:

john

Reaper

Enlightened
You could cut the strap and sew in a quick release buckle in any position/location you want and "voila" - quick ditch no over the head release bag.

mtrunner

Newly Enlightened
I've had many bags...I love the metro bag...it's the perfect size for edc. More than enough room for everything i carry. Every other bag was too big. It's tough to...don't think i could wear it out. Hope this helps

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
slvoid said:
Maybe I'm just dumb and clumsy. Dumbsy.

Here's another scenario. You're riding along and all of a sudden your bag starts rumbling and you remeber the stash of 50 2xCR123 pelican flashlights in your bag with mismatched cells.. what do you do now? You slow to a stop, lift the bag over your head in a panic, at which point the stabilizer strap becomes tangled around your neck just in time for your bag to become the biggest hydrofluric spewing firework in town for hazmat. Or.. you hit it and ditch it. :grin2:

Ok, I LITERALLY laughed out loud at that one!
I could just picture you frantically running around with smoke pouring out of the bag, and screaming "Get down! Get down! Its gonna BLOW!!!!!!!"

Thanks for all the great info...and the laughs!

I will check out some of the other recommendations, but am leaning toward the Metro because I don't want something too big, and it appears to have most of the features I want: rugged, water resistant, adjustable strap (w/padding), carry handle, minimal pockets (I wouldn't mind a couple of exterior pockets though), ability to carry a bottle (but probably a small one, darn it. I love my 20 oz Nalgene bycycle bottle: easy to open, and no spills!)

Maybe I could have an exterior mesh bottle holder added to the outside...