Surefires sorta, kinda, not really, free g2 promotion

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire free g2 promotion

I like the look of the Sonic Defenders. I could go to concerts without looking like a dork with yellow/orange plugs hanging out of my head.

benighted

Enlightened

I just ordered a pair of Sonic Defenders for my brother who is a bass player in a band. They're really a good price for what they do (if they work as advertised), he's been looking for something like these.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

leukos said:
Too bad I can't get a free one with the EP3. :)
Dude, exactly what I was thinking. I don't know, they sounds pretty good either way. Benighted, let us know what he thinks. Have him sit in front of a drum kit and see how he handles it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Question:

Is something really "FREE," if you have to spend money anyway in order to get it?

In this case, spending $17.00 at Target for a comparable Brinkmann Maxfire LX is still going to cost you less money than getting a "FREE" Surefire G2.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom said:
Question:

Is something really "FREE," if you have to spend money anyway in order to get it?

In this case, spending $17.00 at Target for a comparable Brinkmann Maxfire LX is still going to cost you less money than getting a "FREE" Surefire G2.

Yes, since the G2 comes at no extra cost to the buyer. Whether SureFire factors the cost of the G2 into the MSRP of the comms set or not is irrelevant.

Your assumption that someone would buy the comms set just to get the G2 is flawed, IMHO; The MSRPs of the EP210 or EP500 alone would preclude that possibility. If I wanted the SureFire comms set, why would I choose to purchase a Brinkmann Maxfire LX instead?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

chamenos said:
Yes, since the G2 comes at no extra cost to the buyer. Whether SureFire factors the cost of the G2 into the MSRP of the comms set or not is irrelevant.

Your assumption that someone would buy the comms set just to get the G2 is flawed, IMHO; The MSRPs of the EP210 or EP500 alone would preclude that possibility. If I wanted the SureFire comms set, why would I choose to purchase a Brinkmann Maxfire LX instead?

Call me crazy, but "free" should mean just that.

If you're giving away something to those who spend money on another product, well; I'm not entirely sure what you'd call that. But "free" seems inappropriate.

If you just want the light, you're better off saving more money buy spending some on a Maxfire.... rather than trying to get a "free" G2.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened

I second the maxfire,......great light, had mine for a few days so far, and it's very impressive for 17 bucks!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh please...

did you people clicked on the link before you talk?

you will see that the G2 is free only if you purchase the ep500 or ep210.
both of their cost is over the G2
ep500=166
ep210=166

so no, people aren't buying them because of the free g2 but because they need those ear protection

Monocrom

Flashaholic

chesterqw said:
so no, people aren't buying them because of the free g2 but because they need those ear protection

Yes, I clicked on the link before posting. My point was not about the particular offer itself. I will admit that if you planned on buying the ear protection anyway, getting a free flashlight (especially something along the lines of a G2) would be a great bonus.

My point was that "Free" would be a misnomer in this case. "Bonus" is definitely a better word to use. "Free" should actually apply to something that you get without having to spend money on something else.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom said:
My point was that "Free" would be a misnomer in this case. "Bonus" is definitely a better word to use. "Free" should actually apply to something that you get without having to spend money on something else.

Assuming the MSRP of the SureFire comms set remains unchanged, then anyone buying the comms set now would in effect get a free G2 relative to someone who bought it after the "promotion" was over.

That said, I agree with your point that the thread title is slightly misleading, and I'm sorry about my earlier post. Perhaps it might be a good idea for the thread starter to edit it?

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*

I think the use of the word "free" is appropriate as the price of the comm gear has not changed, and it now comes with a G2. Thus because no more money is being paid, the G2 does not cost any more money. No money for product = free. Just my interpretation.

If we took the other interpretation then the countless vendors that offer 'free shipping' would also be in trouble, because there would not be any shipping without buying a product.

When I was in the US what grabbed my goat was when I'd buy something for $4.95, i'd get a 5 dollar note out, and the person would say that'll be $5.xx. I'd say but the sign says $4.95, and they would say "plus sales tax." To me this is silly, and misleading. In Australia we have a 10%GST, and it is included by businesses in their pricelist to consumers.

I nearly bought a pda in NYC because it was a bit cheaper than in Australia. Then the guy says plus a sales tax of $100. That to me is misleading, and the airlines in Australia got in trouble at one stage for hidden taxes like that.

MMMMMMM free / bonus G2 Thanks for the heads up Rob :)

Last edited:

Darkaway

Enlightened

Did anyone who read that first post truly think that Surefire was simply giving away free G2's for the asking, no strings attached?

Whenever I see the word "free" in association with anything of substantial value e.g. a G2 I automatically assume there's a catch.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

If someone was planning on buying the EP210 or EP500 already getting a G2 at no additional cost (free after you buy the comm system) is a great deal. If you don't need/want the EP210 or EP500 and still want a G2 just buy one (or whatever light you prefer instead.) The light isn't listed as free, but listed as "free with purchase" instead.

photorob

Enlightened

Why would anyone ever assume that surefire is going to give them free anything. Thats a joke. In-fact I don't even know why I went through the trouble of making this thread to potentially help surefire. I purchased a set of sonic defenders from them three and a half months ago. When I received them they were the wrong size. So I sent them an email and got a response that said to send them back and a new pair would be sent to me promptly. Three months later and three emails later with no response I sit here now with my thumb up my ***. Whats the deal surefire.

PS: You make shitty tail-caps

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
those sonic defender looks nice enough to buy one pair for my father... working with machines sure makes ears go crazy.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, last I checked "free" meant "no charge;" "no charge" meant "free."

I dunno why some of you guys are finding fault with a promotional offer. It is the same as anyone with a business who throws in some free goods or services to bring attention to their work or product.

What did you think, the flashlight fairy will slip a G2 under your pillow?

Scott

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

photorob said:
PS: You make shitty tail-caps

I agree, I wouldn't trust SureFire's clickies in any situation. Their older lockout tailcaps are excellent though. It's too bad they've been phased out in the E series.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

chamenos said:
I agree, I wouldn't trust SureFire's clickies in any situation. Their older lockout tailcaps are excellent though. It's too bad they've been phased out in the E series.

I own 2 Surefires. An L4 and a C2. The tailcap switch on the C2 is a bit stiff, only becomes a problem with prolonged use. The one on the L4 works fine....

I'm hoping it's not a case of getting lucky with the L4.