DIY tactical gear

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was thinking about making my own tactical gear, but I'm not sure what materials/thread etc. to get. I wanted to make a holster for my SF G2, some kneepads (LOTS of help is needed here) and some dump pouches. if you guys can teach me how to make a cube like shape with cordura and stuff, that would be awesome. links to sites that have patterns for tactical gear etc.
thanks so much in advance,
flash_bang

flash_bang

Enlightened
AWESOME!!! I just registered…btw, have any of you guys/gals made your own holsters and such?
thanks,
flash

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Not for a light but I have for latex gloves (My first job is a medic)

Just a simple oblong with a fold over flap with velcro to secure it.

Made it 3 years ago & its still going strong.

The secret is double stiching (going back over the stiches you just made) and finishing off the ends properly (e.g. when I got to where the top layer of fabric ended I went backwards & forwards (On a sewing machine) to create a large sewin block which reinforces an area which usualy fails first due to the threads coming undone.

Hope this helps any Questions PM me.

flash_bang

Enlightened
ah, the joy of bartacking :)
well, if you could pm me some pictures, I would be really happy :) :) :)
thanks,
flash

S

stdlrf11

It's good to see that I'm not the only one cheap enough to make their own stuff instead of buying it. :grin2:

As soon as I buy new batteries for the digital camera, I'll post some pics of the holsters and mag pouches I've made of leather and nylon. I've made other gysmos, but they were destroyed years ago.

stdlrf11

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
I've made a few things, here and there ;) Over time, I've come to the conclusion that unless you're making something for a specific need, like an obscure item, you're almost always better off going the production route. The big guys (Blackhawk, DBT, TT, Spec Ops, HSGI, and others), have added nearly any pouch you need. Chances are if you need it, they have it, and it's going to cost you less to buy than acquire materials and build. FWIW

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

S

stdlrf11

Here is a Nylon Thigh Holster I made for my P-01. I've made about a dozen holsters over the years, and I like this one the best. Total cost: $5 in materials and 8 hours work.

NylonThighHolster1.jpg

Here are my EDC holsters I made about a year ago. They are holding up very well. Total cost: $15 and about 12 hours work.

100_0908.jpg

100_0909.jpg

stdlrf11

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Dang!

I was just getting ready to post some pics and you guys have already outclassed my humble sewing project.

Bulbboy

Newly Enlightened
Dr Jekell said:
Dang!

I was just getting ready to post some pics and you guys have already outclassed my humble sewing project.
Yeah, post them. Don't be shy.
Show us your haberdasherry! :)

flash_bang

Enlightened
post them!!! @ stdlrf11: the holster with the webbing, what makes the actual holster? what width are the webbing leg straps and belt one. I assume this is a drop thigh rig, if not, please explain how you wear it.
thanks,
flash

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
You asked for it, you got it.

The pics aren't the best (Cellphone camera) but it is the best I can do at the moment.

The pouch is very rough around the edges but it works.

So without any further adue:

Photo00001.jpg

Photo00002.jpg

Photo00003.jpg

Photo00004.jpg

Photo00005.jpg

flash_bang

Enlightened
cool! well, personally, I'd add a molle grid, but you may not want the extremely military look.

S

stdlrf11

Dr Jekell: That pouch looks good!! Nice edges and stiching.
flash bang: You're gonna laugh at this... The holster is made from two layers of craft foam from Hobby Lobby (the thin, colorful sheets near the felt) covered with nylon fabric. The edges are black nylon ribbon (from the fabric section) sewn over the exposed foam. The webbing is 1" for the legs and 2" for the drop extention. I used sew-on velcro to adjust the length of the drop and for the retention strap. The 1" buckles for the leg straps are from Hobby Lobby also.
You can get everything you need to make it from either Hobby Lobby or Wally World. I paid about $20 for enough materials to make about 3-6 holsters. The next ones I make are going to use higher quality webbing.

Hope this helps,
stdlrf11

flash_bang

Enlightened
hmmm, well, it wasn't what I was expecting, but if it works, then it's cool :)
thanks,
flash

S

stdlrf11

In case you are wondering, I've worn the holster a lot (practice and around the woods) for over a year and it has held up well.
I've made more than one for friends and they haven't complained yet :)

stdlrf11

swampgator

Enlightened
Back when I was in the service I spent a guard shift out in the woods sewing a basic open top pouch. I cut, uh, acquired, about 12" of U.S. Govt strap (surplus, sir, really!). I flamed the edges to keep it from unraveling. Then folded it several times so that I had a pouch pocket and tunnel loop. I then sewed the edges.

I've made leather holsters, belts and pouches since, but haven't done much with nylon.