New LED's for X5

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I have an older X5. I would like to replace the older led's with newer, more efficient led's(brighter). Does any body have experience that they could share? Dual brightness levels would be nice. Anybody have ideas?
Thanks,
Mike

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello vetkaw63:)

You could change the old leds against the latest generation of Nichia's. 2 brightness levels are too complicated.

But to mod this light is not worth IMO. I own the same one and I keep it as a "classic" one of Inovas history. Perhaps I give it away as a gift to a friend.

If you compare it to the actually generation of lights in therms of output and runtime, i.e.:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/141841

you can get a better deal for the money instead of putting money in this old one.

Best regards

____
Tom

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Tom,
I just want to stick 5 new Nichia's in it. It shouldn't be that hard. I would like to hear from somebody that has done it first. I just need to know if the ring at the top of the body comes off with a simple heating or if it was made NOT to come off. I don't want to destroy an X5 experimenting. I was also hoping one of the modders had made a low stage for the x5. Maybe a flupic?
Mike

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Tom,
I just want to stick 5 new Nichia's in it. It shouldn't be that hard. I would like to hear from somebody that has done it first. I just need to know if the ring at the top of the body comes off with a simple heating or if it was made NOT to come off. I don't want to destroy an X5 experimenting. I was also hoping one of the modders had made a low stage for the x5. Maybe a flupic?
Mike

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Thanks Nemul,
The search engine wouldn't narrow it down to x5 mod. It would give me every post on Inova.
I found freeze pop. That search led to some very informative threads.
Mike