HDS Systems
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Default Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

ttran97,

No, he can't use the MN15 in the M6-R. Well, he can but it will be underdriven and not nearly as impressive.

Instead, he should use the MN16 with the M6-R.
    ~ Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. ~ My EDC: The Haiku.

Hi, I have two (2) M6's that are older, say Millennium Series on both of them. After reading this thread I bought one MN15, it is on the UPS truck today for delivery. As I read further today I noticed it said something about the MN20 with the purple base may explode. I opened up both of mine and they are the purple based MN20's. I then went to my spare bulbs and I have six (6) more with purple bases. Should I call SF and see if they will exchange them for the black based MN20's? Did they come out and say there is a problem with the bulbs and will exchange them for customers with the purple defective bulbs?

I opened up another M6 that I bought for an employee a few years back and he has the black based MN20 in his, and I looked at the (2) spare MN20's I got him as backup and they are both black based, so mine must really be old.

What should I do?
    HOWARD

hcd615, there have been cases of cr123as exploding, but we still continue to use cr123as, why? because the cases add up to only a very small portion of a very large population who use them.

sure theres explosions on purple MN20s, but argumento....they should be okay to use. If you feel very nervous about using them, I suppose calling surefire might help

I emailed SF CS about the old style MN20 a few months ago. The response was "normal product enhancement, no defects..." So run 'em until they die or explode. If they explode, SF will replace your head and the bulb.
    Will work for lights.

Hi guys.. please pardon me.. but i would like to find out if the bulb from lumen factory M3#HO-M3T would perform as well as the MN 15 from surefire? What about the beam? which is more circular beam?

Enlightened

I stumbled into the HO-M3T for the M6 and I love it...Very round and white beam....however....with runtimes around 75-80 minutes...it is no SF MN15.

As a true CPFer will probably come along and say it...I will say it first....buy both Lamp Assemblies...go play outside at night with them and see which will suit your tastes better.

O hell, I want another M6 again!

Thought I might bring this post back to the top... I have read it through at least 3 times.. I can't wait till my "flashlight" fund reaches M6 range.. I've already ordered MN15 lamp ass'ly....

This is gonna be great!!

Gordon aka:skillet
    I DO NOT HAVE...
    AURORAPHOBIA, OR EOSOPHOBIA, OR EREUTHOBPHOBIA, OR ERYTHROPHOBIA, OR ERYTOPHOBIA, OR PHENGOPHOBIA, OR PHOTOAUGLIAPHOBIA, PHOTOPHOBIA, OR SELAPHOBIA..

BTT.

So, I'm still running the MN15 in my M6 and I still love it. How is everyone else finding it? I'm especially interested to narrow down the lamp life in this configuration. Right now, I'm estimating 15 to 20 hours, but I fear it's closer to 15 than to 20 based on our current data set. However, it's a rather small data set, so there's no telling. Hence my request . . .

As for the circularity of the MN15 beam, it's definitely oval. Not quite 2 to 1, but close, I think. But, nonetheless, it's a really great beam, and throws very well for its output. I love it. The M6 is my primary walking light, but I don't run it constant on. Instead I flash it when I need more light, and this allows my eyes to retain some amount of dark adaption. I know that some people claim this is a myth, but it's definitely not. If you totally flood the area around and in front of you with constant bright white light, your pupils will contract more than if you use a much dimmer or tighter (or both) light, and/or if you flash that light instead of running it constant on. It also helps to hold the light up and to the side when you flash it, if you're looking at something only 10 feet away. Or you can even direct it behind you and use the indirect bounce-back light to see something in front of you. Lot's of different possibilities, but in any case, it's not a myth. Sometimes less is indeed more, in my opinion. And for me, the X-LOLA is one of those cases. I love it. Plus, I haven't had one of the MN15 frigging explode on me, but I've had two MN20's do that.

All of this said, I must re-interate that this setup is *NOT* an approved SureFire setup, so don't expect the rated life from the lamp.
    ~ Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. ~ My EDC: The Haiku.

Thinking Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Js, hows the color of your MN15?
    Mines been through at least one set of cells and theres some sort of yellow deposits near the base of the lamp
    see thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=195063

First leap into M6R and I'm already 2 MN61s short
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=195141

well, maybe thats telling my M6 telling me to go back to running the MN15

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    Js, hows the color of your MN15?
    Mines been through at least one set of cells and theres some sort of yellow deposits near the base of the lamp
    see thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=195063

First leap into M6R and I'm already 2 MN61s short
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=195141

well, maybe thats telling my M6 telling me to go back to running the MN15
    Illum_the_nation,

Sorry I missed this post back when you first made it! I don't know how I missed it, honestly.

Anyway, just in case you still want to know, my MN15 is as clear and colored-deposit free as ever, and I've definitely put some run time on it.

As for your MN15 and the yellow deposits, if it were me, I'd err on the safe side and get a new one. I don't like to see any colored deposits whatsoever. A bit of darkening (grey deposits) doesn't bother me, but if there's any color to it, especially yellow or blue, I stop using the lamp and get a new one.

Im adding my two cents in a little late. When i got my M6, I had NO idea of its true potential. It was merely a simple decision that I was looking for a M3 and found an M6 on clearance for close to the same price as a M3. So why not?

Then I started to do research. thanks to the guys and gals here I have learned to revere and love my M6 even more. I went and got a M3 head, MN10 and MN15 bulb just to have more options.

I too love the MN15 on primaries. But I do like to show my friends the ridiculous difference of a MN21 bulb.

My next project is rechargeable options, especially since there is such a great thread about them.

Smile Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    It was merely a simple decision that I was looking for a M3 and found an M6 on clearance for close to the same price as a M3. So why not?
    thats one hell of a deal you got there

Yep $270 is pretty darn good. Only issue was that the store had an "all sales final" on clearance items. But then I remembered that it is a Surefire and if there were ANY problems I could call up surefire and they would take care of me.

Flashaholic*

This has been an interesting topic since I was lucky enough to get an M6 last Christmas.

I've been using the MN20 for its better run time over the MN21 and it's almost as bright, for all practical purposes. May I assume the MN15 would be another step down in brightness from the MN20?

Is it correct that there isn't a great difference between each lamp's apparent brightness and the next lamp in the MN sequence. Put another way: a noticeable different exists between the MN21 & MN15, but much less difference with only one step in MN's?

I'm seeking the best balance of brightness and run time.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Super Moderator

jayflash, have you seen this thread?
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Yes, and thanks again for your time spent on the project - it is awesome.

Your shots look close to what I'd expect the differences in lamp to be. Still, as comprehensive as all those comparisons are, sometimes it's easier to detect a lamp's qualities, live and in person.

The photos look like the MN20 & 15 are really close. I do want my M6 to have throw with a nice size hot spot. Guess I'll have to spring for a MN15 and see for myself. I'll make another guess that a TL-3/litho 123 lamp and two 17500 LiIon cells might be close to an MN15. Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jayflash View Post
    I'll make another guess that a TL-3/litho 123 lamp and two 17500 LiIon cells might be close to an MN15. Or not?
    It is probably close in total output, but the CL 1499 in a TL3 is a lot more flood than throw.

To me, there is a large difference going from an MN15 to a 20 and then a 21. As discussed at great length in this tread, the MN15 gives you enough light for most activities and excellent run time. The other bulbs tend to be overkill on a hike or changing a tire, but are just the ticket when there is a loud racket outside your home at 3:00 am.
    Will work for lights.

Flashaholic*

Thanks, BSBG, that's what I was looking for. Perhaps the MN20 is a good compromise for me because I don't use the M6 unless I want more light than the TL-3 I've got

I just discovered another X-lola option. Not sure if this is still an option or not as I'm not even sure if the bulbs are still available anywhere.. But they were really, cheap, i think a 5 pack was like 2 dollars or something like that.

About a year ago I bought some little miniature bi-pin bulbs from Kai or DX, can't recall which one. They were 3.6V and 7.2V bulbs respectively. Same size you would find in an ordinary D26 module, but just a bare bulb.

The pin spacing is pretty narrow, but the pins are flexible, the 7.2V bulb can be mounted into a FM bi-pin MN socket pretty easily, just have to adjust position for focus.

Lamp draws ~1.3A, and produces a perfect tight round beam with almost no artifacts to speak of once adjusted properly in the reflector. Should have runtime almost as long as the MN15. I tested it on a 2xEmoli pack, haven't tried the stock M6 pack yet, but it should also work.

Eric

That sounds like an interesting alternative Eric. I think the MN15 is around 1.15A so the little D26 type bulb shouldn't be too far behind the 2.5 hour run time. Now we just have to find out where you bought them so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    BTT.

So, I'm still running the MN15 in my M6 and I still love it. How is everyone else finding it? I'm especially interested to narrow down the lamp life in this configuration. Right now, I'm estimating 15 to 20 hours, but I fear it's closer to 15 than to 20 based on our current data set. However, it's a rather small data set, so there's no telling. Hence my request . . .
    I did have what appeared to be a problem with one of my M6's with the MN15. After running the MN15 (with maybe 2-3 hours on it) in my M6 for approx. two hours (some momentary, some continuous), I noticed the inside of the glass has what looks like some blackening on both sides of the inside glass surface, flanking either side of the filament. It still works, but it didn't look like that before I put it in the M6, and one side of the glass looks like it has a very small, black particle attached to the blackened glass (piece of tungsten carbide?) that also wasn't there before. I stopped using it in my M6 and have not used an MN15 in either of my M6's since that time.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Quote Originally Posted by socom1970 View Post
    I did have what appeared to be a problem with one of my M6's with the MN15. After running the MN15 (with maybe 2-3 hours on it) in my M6 for approx. two hours (some momentary, some continuous), I noticed the inside of the glass has what looks like some blackening on both sides of the inside glass surface, flanking either side of the filament. It still works, but it didn't look like that before I put it in the M6, and one side of the glass looks like it has a very small, black particle attached to the blackened glass (piece of tungsten carbide?) that also wasn't there before. I stopped using it in my M6 and have not used an MN15 in either of my M6's since that time.
    Mine was yellow
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=195063
    but it still works

socom1970,

One of the dangers of high CCT, overdriven lamps: you have more failures and a greater rate of deposition on the glass. Most MN15's (and most SF lamps in general) have enough of a halogen cycle that this doesn't happen, but every now and then I get one that does exactly what you are describing. And I stop using it and put in a new one. It's just part of the cost of pushing the envelope. Yet another disadvantage of incans relative to LED's, I guess.

Sorry that happened to you! And, you should definitely not use that lamp, just in case--although chances are that it wouldn't explode even if you did. But still . . .

Sorry mods, I didnt want to start a new thread for this question.

Will a stock KL6 work with a M6? cause I cant get mine to work with the M6. It didnt fry the KL6 though. worked fine after I swapped it back to my L6 body.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

Will a stock KL6 work with a M6? cause I cant get mine to work with the M6. It didnt fry the KL6 though. worked fine after I swapped it back to my L6 body.
    Yes. The KL6 is designed to be used with the M3, M4, and M6 lights. I have used my KL6 on both of my M6's (as well as my M3 and M4) quite often and I like it very much (aside of it looking a bit like a weird lightsaber).
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Thanks. But for some reason mine doesnt want to work with my M6 using SF123 primaries.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

Thanks. But for some reason mine doesnt want to work with my M6 using SF123 primaries.

Thats really strange
    I don't know why it wouldn't.
    Call Surefire...
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Flashaholic*

I feel the latest posts have strayed this thread into off topic. I think a new thread should be started for the other lamp and the KL6, and keep this for the MN15 lamp in the M6. Just my .02.

I tend to agree with LED61, if it's going to continue for much longer. But it's no big deal either way.