Uniqe Titanium
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Default Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

lol, cucumber indeed for the Z46

I'm surprised how well the FM body looked in relation to everything else, when I first saw the sale thread I presumed it was short and stubby

Just a heads up that applies here with the subject of a regulated pack making its way in here:

Will (wquiles) and I are working on a 3x17670 adapter based on the same regulator component selection that JimmyM is using.

All the details are not finalized yet, however, at least 2-3 of the voltage settings on the final release will likely be good ball-parks for the MN15 (bulb life to output tradeoff choices)... Runtime would be basically 2+ hours of solid flat regulated output on an MN15

Enlightened

I'm just curious...is the m6 guardian worth it for what new line of flashlights they have out nowadays?

The short answer is yes.

Enjoy the abundant info contained in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=204862

Quote Originally Posted by junmae View Post
    I'm just curious...is the m6 guardian worth it for what new line of flashlights they have out nowadays?

last I remember surefire hasn't turned out a new incandescent flashlight yet...

Didn't think I would be the one to this thread

I've been using the X-LOLA since christmas on occiasion in and out of the house at night [to the utility shed that houses my work bench] and so far all the cells are still 100%
    This is never happened before with ANY of my Surefire incandescents, I am apalled by the sheer runtime, it forces me to believe all this commuting around the house hasn't summed up to even an hour of runtime

Flashaholic*

The MN15 is an amazing LA in the M6. When my Brother inlaw was in town we went out after dark and he basically drained a set of cells with a MN21 LA. I popped in the X-LOLA and voil, the beam was again nice and white. I have never had the fatal fade running the MN15 in my M6. The batteries just die in their sleep.

I put together a sea cumcumber so I could run the MN10. This setup with a beam diffuser is a perfect fit in my John Willis hoster. Without the turbohead bulge, the holster rides a lot more comfortably on the hip.

Flashaholic*

I found another great "XX-LOLA" for the M6 in combination with a FM bi-pin adapter: the Welch Allyn 1336. Unfortunately, this one has been discontinued. Mine came all the way from Canada (21 pieces).
    It is a 6V bulb with .64 A current draw and 525 hours of life. This means, it has some room left for overdriving it.
    Re-rated to 7.4V it draws around 0.72A and has a life of 40 hours and will be 116 bulb-Lumens.
    It means, it will run comfortably for more than THREE hours

Timmo.

WA1336 you say.... 600ma current draw? are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    WA1336 you say.... 600ma current draw? are you serious?
    Here's his thread on that configuration - very interesting reading.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-13-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

because I came across a very interesting old post while doing some historical CPF 'research'.

JS originated this M6 X-LOLA thread with Post # 1 back in November 2006.

However, in js's old SF M6-R thread (the complete historical one which originated in late 2004, not his newer 'summary thread' accessable via his signature line), pyro suggested the MN-15 for the M6-R back on Oct 27, 2004:
    btw, the M3 LOLA MN15 runs at ~7V,
    Probably this can be used as LOLA for the M6-R too.
    js's reply in the next post:
    Indeed! MN15, eh? Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. I have been so focused on the HOLA and support hardware that I haven't even started to look into the M6-R LOLA situation.
    Wow, so this may be the true genesis date of the M6 X-LOLA, even if it took another two years to re-emerge on CPF!!

(I do get a kick out of tracing & documenting the origination of things, it's the history buff part of me. )
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Kestrel,

pyro suggested it as an M6-R low output lamp assemlby because it ran at around the same voltage as the LVR3 in the M6-R pack was set to. He wasn't suggesting we use it on primaries.

There's a big difference between the M6-R LOLA and the M6 X-LOLA. The M6-R needed a LOLA different from the MN20 because the MN20 wanted a higher voltage than the M6-R was set to. Hence the suggestion of the MN15.

But, we ended up using the MN16 as the M6-R LOLA due to its higher output and better voltage matchup with the setpoint of the M6-R pack.

So this isn't really the true gensis of the X-LOLA, in my opinion.

That's cool, I don't know the nuts & bolts of your voltage considerations with respect to those. Just thought I'd post what I came across & my thoughts, that's all.

Thanks for the clarification,
    K
    - Winston Churchill

I can't believe I didn't come across this post before I sold my M6 body

Flashaholic*

That's really a pity... I now have sourced no less than TWENTY different lamp-setups for the M6. In my opinion, you should never sell your M6
    Get another one quickly from CPF MP
    And get yourself some Fivemega MN-bipin adapters, some WA-bulbs, and some battery holders (3X 17670 and 2X 18650).

Then, you're back in business

Timmo.

Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    That's really a pity... I now have sourced no less than TWENTY different lamp-setups for the M6. In my opinion, you should never sell your M6
    Get another one quickly from CPF MP
    Theres an M6 going for $240 on CPFM currently

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Theres an M6 going for $240 on CPFM currently
    Yeah, I'm all over it!!!
    Sure hope my offer goes through before someone nabs it!!!

*Flashaholic*

M6R is still hanging in there... my Schulze charger died 8 months ago. so have not been able to charge my M6R... it's probably limping by now

Flashaholic*

because a member here stated: "What? You have a Megalennium and don't have an FM1909? "
    I dug into it, and that's lamp #21

Unfortunately rather unsuitable for an M6 because of the combination of 3-cell operation AND enormous current draw (5.5 Amps!!).
    The only way to do it is to use the standard battery holder and load it with 6X IMR 16340s. This will run for maybe 10 minutes. Better suitable for a Megalennium and 3X IMR 18650s...

This is exactly 180 degrees the opposite from an X-LOLA: it has a power of 63 Watts

In my shoot-out, I will try to take pictures from all 21 lamp-setups with a single camera-setting (aperture and shutter speed). As the lamps will range in power from around 5 Watts (WA1336 "XX-LOLA", 6V / 0.64A overdriven to 7.4V) to 63 Watts, there'll be some under exposed and some over exposed pictures, this cannot be prevented...

Timmo.

Flashaholic

JS I have to thank and curse ya

This was the thread that pushed me to finally buy an M6 and MN15 today. I've always tried to convince myself to buy the M6 but always wanted a longer runtime option. While I love the super bright lights my uses just demand more than 20 minutes of runtime as my flashlight addiction has continued I've found myself going back to lights that have moreand more runtime and the MN15 seems perfect for the M6 in that regard.

Great stuff.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
    JS I have to thank and curse ya

This was the thread that pushed me to finally buy an M6 and MN15 today. I've always tried to convince myself to buy the M6 but always wanted a longer runtime option. While I love the super bright lights my uses just demand more than 20 minutes of runtime as my flashlight addiction has continued I've found myself going back to lights that have moreand more runtime and the MN15 seems perfect for the M6 in that regard.

Great stuff.
    You can also purchase an M3 bezel directly from Surefire for $42 and an MN10 lamp. It's what I call the "sea cucumber." Same runtime and output but without the turbohead. This is what rides in my truck.

Is there a Lumens Factory lamp that is an equivalent to the MN15?

LF's HO-M3T is the most similar in terms of voltage and amperage profile.

Edit: specs look to be between a MN15 and a MN20.
    Last edited by Steve in SoCal; 04-05-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Yes, thats all I could find similar as well. i just ordered one but it seems that the MN15 will run for an hour more than the HO-M3T. For the long run time, it seems that the MN15 may be the only lamp available.

If you have one of FM's bi-pin bulb holders there is a very low amperage 12v bi-pin bulb. Someone here has a stash of them.

Well, after wanting an M6 for the longest time I finally have one on the way via USPS, took my 10X dominator to get it, but regardless, it's on the way.

I just got done reading this thread all the way though, and I have to say this MN10/MN15 configuration in the M6 seems like a dream come true. However, it seems as though nobody was able to estimate a good solid figure for the lamp life using this setup. JS seems to feel confident in his 15 to 20 hr mark, but seeing some of the other post's and seeing pictures of what seems like premature blacking on the envelope isn't exactly instilling confidence in the long term reliability of this setup.

So my hopes in reviving this old thread is that members can chime in and give us some feedback on what the best lamp life estimate is for this setup, and give us some long term reports on how this setup has been holding up over the last few years. I have 1 MN15 and 1 MN10, and I will feel a little more confident in using them with my new M6 after hearing what others have to say now that so many years have passed.
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    Well, after wanting an M6 for the longest time I finally have one on the way via USPS, took my 10X dominator to get it, but regardless, it's on the way.

I just got done reading this thread all the way though, and I have to say this MN10/MN15 configuration in the M6 seems like a dream come true. However, it seems as though nobody was able to estimate a good solid figure for the lamp life using this setup. JS seems to feel confident in his 15 to 20 hr mark, but seeing some of the other post's and seeing pictures of what seems like premature blacking on the envelope isn't exactly instilling confidence in the long term reliability of this setup.

So my hopes in reviving this old thread is that members can chime in and give us some feedback on what the best lamp life estimate is for this setup, and give us some long term reports on how this setup has been holding up over the last few years. I have 1 MN15 and 1 MN10, and I will feel a little more confident in using them with my new M6 after hearing what others have to say now that so many years have passed.

I was the one that posted the blacked out bulb picture. I have cured this problem by not using brand new 123s in the MB20 holder. When 123s are new, the lamp filament runs a bit too hot. It will still continue to run hot but if you take care to "break in" the batteries a bit with your MN21 bulb for about one minute, you can use the MN15 lamp thereafter.

I think JS figure is even a bit conservative, I have run mine past that mark in these years and since it was replaced from back them Im still using the same lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by LED61 View Post
    I was the one that posted the blacked out bulb picture. I have cured this problem by not using brand new 123s in the MB20 holder. When 123s are new, the lamp filament runs a bit too hot. It will still continue to run hot but if you take care to "break in" the batteries a bit with your MN21 bulb for about one minute, you can use the MN15 lamp thereafter.

I think JS figure is even a bit conservative, I have run mine past that mark in these years and since it was replaced from back them Im still using the same lamp.
    Is breaking in the batteries so to speak absolutely necessary? If the batteries are fresh, do we have any kind of estimate as to how much of an impact it has?
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    Is breaking in the batteries so to speak absolutely necessary? If the batteries are fresh, do we have any kind of estimate as to how much of an impact it has?

I have been doing this because of what happened the first time around I lost my MN15.

This setup overdrives the lamp a bit and is highly efficient, youll notice your MN15 running a very nice color temperature.

But with brand spanking new 123s youre pushing it a bit too much. If youre lucky, nothing will happen, but Id rather weaken the batteries a bit before running the setup.

I was using the M6+MN15 last night and it's incredible. I'm not a big fan of the MN15, the hotspot and beam shape that is, but when it's running so bright and white, for a solid 2.5 hours, it's simply incredible. I also was running my M3 bezel with MN10 also, it is a very nice setup, although it doesn't have near the range of the MN15+millennium TH, I believe that it gives a more useful beam, though the light does look a little bit ridiculous. For when size and weight is an issue, the M3 bezel on the M6 is perfect.
    My Lights Here