Thread: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Enlightened

Default Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Cats vs foxes. Illuminated by M6 + MN15

http://youtu.be/MgkUL_XEaOw?hd=1
    Surefire M6-R, U2, E2E, E1L, T1A
    Russian Flashlight Forum moderator

Finally, after wanting one for years, I have an M6-CB. I picked one up on closeout from Batterystation for $260 + S/H. A great deal. Had to get one before they were no more.

Now I need a good source for MN-15 LA's........
    Last edited by Brigadier; 12-09-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

Well, tested out the M6 last night when I got home. I am surprised at the size of the hotspot in these, with both bulbs. Especially compared to my 9ANT Commander. Comparing the two, I would dare say that lumen for lumen, the 9ANT throws farther than the M6. But the M6 sure lights up a big area compared to the laser tight beam of the 9ANT.

Ok, now why this thread HASN'T been made a sticky is beyond me.........

JS, you are brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. What an idea. I would like to buy you a beer someday.

I got my MN15 LA today, threw it in the M6 on fresh Panasonic 123's, and O M G!!!! JS, you are brilliant!! I have never seen such a nice, white incan from a SureFire before. It throws very very well, better than the MN20 IMO due to the smaller hotspot it produces.

And this thing will run for 2 to 2.5 hours??? Icing on the cake.

This is a great setup. If you haven't tried it, do it!

I'm itching to buy another M6... Regret selling the last two!!! But with the M6LT out there, I just don't know if I wanna deal with blown bulbs...

The one thing that makes me miss my M6 was a trip to some underground caverns I took a while back. My M6 lit up areas that you wouldn't see otherwise. I think a cold or even neutral LED light just wouldn't have done the caverns justice. I believe I was running a MN20 on two 18650s w/ MDOCOD's adaptor.

I even miss carrying it on duty. It slipped into my front or back pocket with ease and felt secure. My M3LT is a pain to get in and out of pockets because of the rubber grip ring. I loved my M4 too, but something about the M6 I just miss so much...

+1 for batman, i've never sold my M6 and still use the MN-15 setup ocasionally. Although I was uninformed and ran brand new 123s in mine on several ocasions and now the lamp is quite darkened. I'm glad i never got rid of old trusty!
    It isn't the life that matters, it's the courage you put into it.

Flashaholic*

Time for new set of 123's in the MB20, and........time for a bulb swap to the MN20. I'm going to "break in" my new cells with a little running the MN20, about three minutes oughta do it. I've been doing this for a while now before inserting the MN15 for the remainder of the batteries life and no problems so far with my MN15 which I estimate has a good 20 hours in it. Ever since my first MN15 darkened I've had zero issues with the replacement MN15 doing the brand new cell break in procedure.

Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little fun with an MN20 on fresh 123's for a change.

Post Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by LED61 View Post
    Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little fun with an MN20 on fresh 123's for a change.
    Despite having two 2x18650 holders for the M6, I do run the MN20 on primaries and M6 on full stock config. depending on the occasion. When overseas, or on special outings where I want more runtime, the li-ions become the backup instead of the other way around. I thought it can't hurt much to let the MN20s run on the original voltage curve they were designed for every now and then where the LA goes from overdrive to finish at an underdrive.

I guess it's also because I have close to 50 brand new CR123s lying around which will expire in around 3 to 4 years! That and my 18650s are the older lower capacity 2200 mAh type, giving around 40 mintues runtime.

Still, I think its a good idea to break-in the LA at stock config. where you'll also be covered by SureFire's warranty during the critical first few hours of bulb life where failures are more likely to show up. My MN20 was running only on Primaries for quite a few months until Eric started producing his first generation of 2x18650 holders. I must have over 30 hours on my MN20 and it still looks to be in lovely condition. Glass looks nice and clear and not the least bit yellow or brown.
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 01-31-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    ---------------------

Hey everyone! So glad to hear that people are still aware of, and enjoying, this setup!

So, OK, yes, I find that 20 hours of lamp life is about right, or maybe even a touch conservative. I've been running my M6 in this configuration since I posted about it here in this thread. I guess I've gotten lucky with my two MN15's (pretty small sample set, to be sure) because I never switch to the MN20 or MN21 to break in new batteries. I just pop in new ones and go. So far, no blackened MN15 lamps! But, like I say, I'm probably just lucky. Next time I replace the cells I'll do this--though with the MN21, as I've had TWO MN20's explode in my M6 over the years.

Anyway, yes, this setup is one of my favorites. Since I've been out of the modding business, and been so much more occupied with work and a new house and the like, I've cut down on my flashlights--and I never had a lot of flashlights to begin with! But I will never part with my M6, and the MN15 is my favorite lamp to run in the M6. My EDC is my McGizmo LS20. The kitchen has the M6/MN15 and the SF A2 with normal LA in it. The basement has the SF E2 with balrog body. I was running powerizer rechargeables and LF lamp, but I'm switching to primaries and SF LA's, as it sees so little use, usually. My wife has my trusty ole Arc-LS, and we both have Arc AAA's. And, that's pretty much all the lights I have (or am keeping, anyway). But if I had to narrow down to only two, for me, it would be LS20 and M6/MN15.

Thanks for posting, everyone! And sorry I have been MIA for so long.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

No need to apologise Jim! Thanks for posting!

You know, I'm an M6 nut too but I've not yet tried the MN15 in this setup. I think I'll take a look at it. Recently received Will's excellent PhD-M6 pack too! Like you, I was away from the forums for quite a while and returned recently. I think the M6-MN20 (on 2x18650 2200mAh) has kept me very happy and that has contributed to me not being that active on the forums as I believe is also a similar case with you.

Anyway, I'm alarmed to hear about your MN20s blowing up in the M6. Were they the older version with purple assembly? I've heard the old ones were more delicate than the final production black ones that I'm using. Moreover, I've found that my MN20 in 2x18650 (2200mAh) isn't being pushed very hard at all. Based on my observations on tint, output and its exsiting condition compared to other bulbs, it was almost as if the MN20 was made for these batteries which explains why my old MN20 is not any yellower than a brand new MN20 that I just took out and compared to side-by-side! Now the final production MN20 on stock 6xCR123 is a different matter, but my old one did go through at least 5 complete cycles on CR123s before I made the switch to 2x18650 and it's still brilliant today. Please let me know and I suspect LED61 may also be concerned.
    ---------------------

Flashaholic*

Hey Jim and FleaBag, nice to be back here too!! with the old crowd, mentor, and pioneers of the X-LOLA. I am amazed at the setup. So much so that even though I itched to get Will's pack (I still might sometime soon) this setup got me going good and ready for a long time.

Yes, I always break in my brand new cells. As you guys are aware, I had a relatively new MN-15 suddenly go dark on me, bad pic posted earlier in this thread. It was not on a fresh set of cells either. But, I use mostly duracell Procells, and when Tom (Silverfox) tested them on high 2.5 amp drain, they were still putting out over 2.3 volts each. They were the best performers of all cells. So that puts the MN21 going at about 6.9 or 6.95 volts on fresh Procells, and quite possibly about 7.8 V on the MN15 ? Jim?? is that possible ? Anyway, I have run the MN21 on Will's 7.5V pack for a few --not many-- hours with a progressive darkened envelope and if I ordered Will's PhD M6 for the MN21 I have been thinking of asking for a 7.0V regulation for the MN21.

But back to the MN20. Flea Bag, no, I am not really concerned. I have had extensive runtime on an MN20 with no problems whatsoever, fresh new cells every change. It was a duty light back then and zero problems. Now I am running a different MN20 to break in the new Procells and thence it is put back in the spares carrier. I figure Jim has more experience on it but as I recall before the X LOLA, the MN20 was his favorite setup. Will's too. And if something were to happen with an MN20 on fresh 123's, I'm sure Surefire would back their warranty. They are that good.

Sad to see the M6 is no longer in production. I'll never sell mine or my A2-BK-WH. The latter with the FiveMega strion socket is a charm, brilliant white, and I was lucky to buy mine mint from Cue003 with whiter LED's and glow on them. It also has a tail end that can stand the light straight up.

The new LED lights with much improved color and output got me started again here, and I have already seen some of them in action, just ordered a Fury which is on backorder, but believe me the X-LOLA and the A2 with the FM strion socket and bulb take the prize outdoors. No LED can still match the color rendering of such setups. ERR well maybe an MN21 with a PhD M6 at 7.0V might My motivation here is the 6.9V of fresh 123's are probably harder than the 7.0V with soft start ?

Flea Bag and LED61,

Hey there guys! Great to see posts from you!

So, one of my MN20's that exploded was an old purple one--but I had never used it before and it popped almost immediately, so I chaulked it up to infant mortality, if you will. SF repaired my turbo head and sent me another MN20, which, while the assy was black with white lettering, was still the "old" design, with the same really high CCT--and GOD what a lovely white beam it was! And I had already put a couple sets of cells through it when IT blew--my PRIZED LA and light! I was so dissapointed. I even posted about it. Here is the first post:

Alas,

My most prized lamp assembly, my old-style MN20, exploded last night in my SF M6 Millennium Turbo head, which of course, ruined it.

I got this MN20 just before SureFire went out of stock on MN20's for many months. It was one of the last old style MN20's made, I suspect. It was not purple, but black with white "MN20" lettering. It had a couple of hours or so of runtime on it, so I thought for sure I was in the clear. I was shocked when it popped. And this, of course, ruined my Turbo Head. Grrrrrr!

Now I have to send the head back to SF for repair or replacement. Again. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. The first time wasn't as surprising as it was the first time I had used the particular MN20 that came with my M6, and it obviously had a flaw, and blew up within a minute of turn on. But this MN20 which exploded had more than 2 hours of runtime on it. And it was totally clean and clear--no finger prints or oil or anything. I'm totally sure of that.

Anyway, I still do have one last old style MN20, a purple one, and I ran it last night in the spoiled turbo head (after emptying the debris out of it and letting the gas dissipate) and it ran fine for two or three minutes. Which is good. But so what? Doesn't mean it also won't explode after an hour or two of running, too.

I think from now on I will not run the old style MN20's in my M6 anymore. The newer MN20's may be a bit less white (slightly lower CCT) but at least they aren't so prone to explosion.

Sad. Very sad. My favorite LA, my favorite beam. No more. What a bummer. And I was already somewhat depressed.
    So, right now, I have one of the latest MN20 LA's, which SF sent when when they repaired my turbo head AGAIN. And, as posted above, I have one of the old purple MN20's (I traded Lightraven an MN21 for his old-style MN20 ), and it even has a few minutes of runtime (Glad that I re-read the post above! I had forgotten that I took advantage of my already spoiled LA to break-in/test this older purple MN20!). But I doubt I'll use it again. The MN15 is just such a great LA in the M6 w/primaries! I love it! Or, maybe I will, you never know. The MN20 is just as nice! (or nicer, really, at the beginning).

*MORE IMPORTANTLY*

I realized something last night: the starting voltage of CR123A cells is SIGNIFICANTLY dependent on the TEMPERATURE of the cells! If you live in a warm part of the world, and your 123's are at 80F, the starting voltage will be like 10-20 percent higher (I'm guessing) than if you start them up at 65F, or even colder (if it's winter or fall).

So, one thought to "break in" a new set of cells is to put them in the refridgerator (or your whole light), and when you first use the light, it will be cold and the voltage won't run so "hot". For me, this would be easier than swapping out LA's every time you replace the cells. But, obviously, YMMV. So far, I haven't even worried about it, and haven't had a problem--but I'm probably just lucky. I also recall that the last time I changed cells it WAS Fall outside, and I DID run the light OUTDOORS for those critical first 5 minutes (or whatever it is). This setup is my outdoor setup, so, that only makes sense. But . . anyway . . . Oh, and I use Duracell Ultra's, normally. Although, I will switch to the Procells now! (Thanks LED61!)
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

js, LED61, glad to hear none of your newer MN20s have blown up! I've got quite a lot of faith in the robustness of mine and was initially alarmed to hear of someone's blowing up -twice! I've not had the privellege to see an old MN20 actually, but I quite like the wider filament of the newer one, especially when rotated horizontally and used outdoors to light up the ground at middle distances -offers wider coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I realized something last night: the starting voltage of CR123A cells is SIGNIFICANTLY dependent on the TEMPERATURE of the cells! If you live in a warm part of the world, and your 123's are at 80F, the starting voltage will be like 10-20 percent higher (I'm guessing) than if you start them up at 65F, or even colder (if it's winter or fall).
    That's interesting to know Jim... I just experienced a similar phenomenon when I ran my MN21 (using li-ions though) on cells that were becoming quite hot and the voltages were enough to keep the MN21 running beyond the 20 minutes I was expecting. Once turned off and allowed to cool for 20 minutes, the same cells could no longer start the MN21. In that situation, heat was a friend to allow slightly extended runtimes albeit at temperatures unsafe or unhealthy for my cells.

However, I must admit I never considered temperatures as low as ambient levels to have that much effect on start-up voltage sag. Interesting find!
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 02-08-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    ---------------------

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LED61 View Post
    Sad to see the M6 is no longer in production. I'll never sell mine or my A2-BK-WH.
    been out of touch... indeed sad to hear Surefire discontinued M6

Here's a brainsbuster...I have just recieved a new MN-15 replacement from SF from one which was totally defective from the factory. I put it in the M6 on cells that have been used quite a bit, definately long past "fresh." I figured that would be a safe configuration to run. Well, fired it up for about 45 seconds - then out of curiosity, looked inside the turbohead....SMOKE. Ok, turned it off, afraid to mess with this configuration now. i KNOW that's never normal..should I continue using it and "combat test" it or just be cautious and run only the mn-20/21 LAs in this thing?

Update/edit: I removed the MN-15 to examine it. A yellowish,brownish film now coats the inside of this brand new assembly. I think I'm sticking with the original lamp assemblies from now on, I have less trouble with them-and when I do have trouble, the turbohead and LAs are guaranteed to be warrantied.
    Last edited by batman; 02-18-2012 at 07:26 AM.

As I posted in the very first post of this thread:

However, please note that SF would not recommend this nor will they want to warrantee an MN15 used in this manner.
    HOWEVER . . .

This is NOT normal, and my personal opinion is that this LA failed not because it was overdriven, but because it was defective. If it were me, I'd call SF CS and get a new one sent to you. If your cells were long past fresh, then they weren't delivering as much juice as a brand new, hot, single stack of 123's.

Flashaholic*

Jim, he says it is a replacement bulb called in to replace a defective bulb. That's two in a row. Maybe it is a bad lot out of Surefire ?

I haven't had any problems at all with mine since that blackening I posted though that replacement lamp came long ago.

LED61,

It's possible to have a bad lot, but it's also not impossible that two LA in a row were bad.

batman,

I'm sure you aren't touching the glass envelope with your fingers, but perhaps someone at the assembly plant DID touch them--first day on the job or whatever. Did you pre-emptively clean the glass part of your LA with isopropyl rubbing alcohol? If not, I would suggest doing this with your NEXT SureFire LA. Just a thought, FWIW.

So, I just had to post this. I was putting in an order to SureFire, deciding what to get, thinking about what lamps I really wanted to always have a backup for, and I got to thinking about the M6 and MN15 vs. MN20. Now I LOVE the MN20--no question--and I have two new style MN20's and one old style, purple one. I only have one MN21, but that doesn't concern me. I almost never use it, and if I burn it out or break it, I'll just order another one and not worry about any delay in getting it. (Although, if I ever learned they were going out of stock permanently, I'd certainly get a spare!) Anyway, so I started thinking that maybe I should think of the MN20 as a backup for the MN15 . . . did I really need to always have a spare MN15 on hand. Well, I was kind of leaning towards "yes", but then I thought I'd just go down and try out the MN20 to refresh my memory of what a lovely beam it has. I swapped in the MN20, and . . . it was kind of dim and yellowing! OH! RIGHT! Of course, my batteries are at the end of their life, so they don't have enough umph to drive the MN20. I watched as the beam got dimmer and dimmer and more yellow by the second. Surely, my batteries were dead now if they weren't before! So, I swap back in the MN15, and can hardly believe my eyes, as a lovely white beam presents itself! What the heck! I knew that this lamp had a nice level discharge curve, and stayed nice and white through most of its runtime, but this was beyond. I'm still just really thrilled with this setup. It's crazy! It just continues to satisfy me! And I've seen it ALL, my friends. I made the first 100 Watt USL prototype and tested it (which was the first 100 watt 2D Mag Mod), the M6-R, TigerLight mods with the 1185 on 9 cells, IRC Osram lamps (in USL), Ti-PD-S, LS20, SF L2, . . . I mean, for this setup to still thrill me the way it does really stands out to me. I've gotten rid of all of my lights except for the M6, E2e (with Balrog body--love this light), A2, Arc LS, Arc AAA, and LunaSol 20. I never use the Arcs. My wife uses the Arc LS.

There's only ONE light I dearly wish I had bought when I had the chance and wish I had now: Don's SunDrop. At the time, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another $500 Titanium light. But I wish I had now. That light was something special. IS something special. Ah well.

Anyway, point is that I still love this setup: the M6 with MN15. A really great setup.

Flashaholic*

Yes Jim, you're totally right. The setup just goes and goes neat all the while.

Maybe you can find someone who wants to trade a Sundrop for an XR-19C from Don ? It has a clickie and I want to sell it you can use it as a bargaining chip for the Sundrop trade if you'd like.

LED61,

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! Turns out that the SunDrop is still available in a newer version, so . . . we shall see. I still can't justify it. In fact, I can justify it even LESS than before! LOL! Oh, well.

Js, I actually didn't try the isopropyle rubbing alchohol..I guess I haven't heard of doing that before. Is it to extend the LA lifespan? Is that something you can do to LAs that already have some hours on them?

On a side note, over the years from various lamp failures (even 1 really huge MN-21 explosion) and just my general carelessness, a small amount of dust has settled on my M6 reflector, and there are a few smears on the inside of its lens (probably from when SF warrantied the MN-21 failure, I presume they simply cleaned out the turbohead, leaving small traces of dust/a smear or two). Does this minimal type of stuff effect output on a huge powerhouse like the M6? Some lights, like the ol' L1, have frosted lenses and others have heavily textured reflectors to clean up the beam..so my hope is it has no real effect?

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Js, I actually didn't try the isopropyle rubbing alchohol..I guess I haven't heard of doing that before. Is it to extend the LA lifespan? Is that something you can do to LAs that already have some hours on them?

On a side note, over the years from various lamp failures (even 1 really huge MN-21 explosion) and just my general carelessness, a small amount of dust has settled on my M6 reflector, and there are a few smears on the inside of its lens (probably from when SF warrantied the MN-21 failure, I presume they simply cleaned out the turbohead, leaving small traces of dust/a smear or two). Does this minimal type of stuff effect output on a huge powerhouse like the M6? Some lights, like the ol' L1, have frosted lenses and others have heavily textured reflectors to clean up the beam..so my hope is it has no real effect?
    batman, the iso cleaning isn't to EXTEND the LA lifespan, really. It's to prevent premature EXPLOSION and catastrophic failure. Finger oil on the glass envelope will react with the glass at high temperatures, resulting in a chemical change in the material which causes it to explode. So, IF there is some finger oil on the envelope (and this is very hard to see even if it is there), then a pre-emptive cleaning with iso will remove it. If there isn't any, then, no harm done--assuming of course you don't get the potting compound super wet with iso and then immediately run the lamp. So, clean carefully and try to avoid wetting the potting and let dry for 5 minutes afterwards just to be sure.

The point is that finger oil on the glass of your LA is BAD BAD BAD. So you should never touch the glass, and if you do you should immediately clean it, and it's never a bad idea to clean a brand new LA just in case someone along the line touched it--or even just to remove dust and other contaminants. The cleaner the better.

As for your M6, SureFire shouldn't have returned your turbo head with smears on the inside of the lens, nor with dust inside the head. If it were me, I would have returned it again and insisted on a pristine turbo head. That said, it will have almost zero effect on the beam from your M6. It's more an aesthetic thing. I hate to see smudges on my lens. Just like I hate to have smears or spatters on my LCD screens. You pretty much don't see most of them in use, but it's more pleasant to have a nice clean screen. However, I also don't get anal about it and clean often. I only clean rarely, and only when needed, and will live with a bit of this sort of thing for a while without getting my panties in a bunch. Still . . . it's pretty much impossible to clean inside the turbo head--don't even try it--you're likely to end up in a worse situation than you started with. So it's nice if SureFire does a good job while they have the thing opened up when it is easy to clean. Or at least do a DECENT job . . .

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.
    Last edited by js; 02-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks JS! Your advice is well heeded.
    This may have been covered in previous posts but, is a qtip or paper towel ok to clean the LA with when using iso, or would something like cotton be better?
    Last edited by batman; 02-24-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add

When I do it, I use a clean cotton flannel rag. I fold it over once, put it against the iso bottle opening, tip the bottle nice and firmly to wet the cloth in that spot, then put the tip of the LA into that spot, close my fingers around the back of the cloth (and thus around the LA envelope) and rotate it around a bit and move my cloth up and down a bit. But I have also done this with a q tip dipped in iso by holding the LA upside down and cleaning thoroughly with the q tip--you have to rotate the LA to get everything, obviously. The q tip method is a bit more cumbersome. I don't like to use paper towels for this as there so little material between your oily fingers and the glass you are trying to clean, and, I don't know, it just isn't as satisfying an experience for some reason. But, there's no reason that you couldn't use a paper towel. A lot of people do, I'm sure, and it'll work just fine. Anyway, when done, I set the LA aside such that the glass isn't touching anything (I would sometimes use my adjustable arm clip tool--used as a third hand for soldering--and grab the LA by the spring base with the clip, but you could also just lay the thing down on a clean towel or cloth), and let it dry for a few minutes in the open air.

Hope this helps. Oh, and BTW, for cleaning glass, the standard 70 percent Iso is actually better than the 90 percent stuff.

Flashaholic*

Re-reading this thread has gotten me to replace the light in my truck emergency kit with a M6+M3 bezel+MN10 LA+beam diffuser. You can't go wrong with extended runtime! I swapped out a stock M6 for the before mentioned setup.

As far as brightness is concerned, is the M6-XLOLA as bright as the M4 LOLA? Any thoughts?

Sorry to double post it up, but this is news. Surefire IS warranty covering the MN-15 in the M6 as of last week. I got an RMA and am getting a free replacement MN-15 for the M6.. In fact, the rep said that they know most people are having pretty good luck with the MN-15 in the M6. A new lamp assembly for me, only cost is sending the old, burned out MN-15 back to them.
    This is a case where honesty paid off and Surefire customer service is great.
    Last edited by batman; 07-26-2012 at 06:22 AM.

I'm late to the M6/ MN15 party for sure, but wanted to thank the early adopters and testers of this setup. I've been using it for nightly dog walks for a few days now, and it's sweet... Good throw and spill without being overwhelming, and great color temp. Takes away the worry of chewing through primaries while waiting for a new batch of 2x18650 holders. Definitely adds to the usability of the M6!

*Flashaholic*

still got M6 but sadly JS's pack has been dead for sometime