So who's your favorite composer?

Saaby

Flashaholic
So who\'s your favorite composer?

My that I mean classical composer, wrong use of the term "Classical music," which IIRC is actually a specific time period if music, but oh well...

Myself? I love Copland. The man is a genius. Apelation Spring, Buckeroo Holiday, I can spot Copland's music a mile away (If the speakers are turns up loud enough
wink.gif
)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: So who\'s your favorite composer?

Bach. Definitely Bach.

When I got my very first CD player, my very first CD was Bach, and it had a variety of his music. Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor is one piece on that disc I remember by name. There was also some concertos for various groupings of instruments, and some keyboard pieces. I can't remember the album title, but I would never throw or trade away my very first CD, so I bet it's still around here someplace.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Copland IS great- I was thinking that before I clicked the topic- "Fanfare For the Common Man" is my favorite of his.

Bach is great- I also like Mussorgsky- Very dramatic.

Of modern, living working composers I like Andrew Lloyd Weber.

BrightShadow

Newly Enlightened

Anything by Mozart, Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli, Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, and Yanni
other than that.... classic rock is my preferance.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I'm wishy-washy, but I don't have one particular favorite. Used to be really partial to Russian composers, but as I've aged, I've come to "appreciate" other composers/music as well. It all comes down to "mood"--on some days it has to be powerful stuff like Dies Irae from Requiem by Verdi, then on other days, Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba hits the spot, or for quiet moments, Meditation from Thais by Massenet. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've always liked Mozart, but don't really listen enough to name a favorite. Usually I listen to NPR classical on the way home from long, loud days at work. It helps me wind down.

CCW

Newly Enlightened

Mostly Mozart. 3Bs. Any Violin Concertos.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Joseph Suder, this moment -- I found one CD of string quartets, and I'm looking for more.

Zephyr

Enlightened

Anybody listen's to Stravinsky here? I love "The Rite of Spring" Very morbid, dark, and has an amazing array of timbre.

EDIT: Copeland is an amazing composer too. I just watched "Blast" the musical last night and they did an amazing rendition of the "Appalachian Spring"

Size15's

Flashaholic

Did anyone catch the Director's Cut of Amadeus?
Amazing! I managed to see it in a cinema the other day.
Mozart is one of my best loved.

John Williams: All of Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Hook, Home Alone, Superman, Jaws... I could go on!

Bach

Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos

Beethoven

The Fantasia 2000 DVD has some great music.

Al
grin.gif

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened

Big Bad Ludwig Beethoven. His Ninth Symphony, if properly performed with an all male chorus, is an amazing profession of faith. The deep voices of the chorus wash over you, like a giant wave, with perfect symbolisim of God's love for man. You can't beat a German Lutheran for ecclesiastical music.

A bit of Mozart is also quite tasty, as is Aaron Copeland. Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue is what made me buy a CD player.

Size15's

Flashaholic

"The 9th" is why I need to buy a DVD-A player.

I love being so close to London - I go to concerts whenever I can. Next is RachII at BBC studio (for Radio 3)
Last performance I saw was of film music.
Saint Saens Organ Concerto in the Barbican.
American music (including Rhapsody in Blue, a tap dance concerto, etc etc)
Carl Orff
Mozart's Requiem.
Royal Music

Does "Queen" count as a composer?

Al
smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot about John Williams- Am I allowed to change my vote for best living, working composer?

Both Williams and Weber can really move me.

How about Handel for the long gone ones? I like the Messiah, although it is a heck of a challenge to sing...