Acebeam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a good compass

Default I need a good compass

I always find myself in need of one, but those little water-filled compasses I usually get are always leaking and becoming unserviceable after a while. I need something that's small, compact, reliable, and affordable. Recommendations?
    -winston

Flashaholic*

Default Re: I need a good compass

I really like my Silva-compass when I'm outdoors, but it's not as tiny as keychain water compasses, so it might not suit your needs if you're gonna carry it around all the time. Otherwise, topnotch compass.

What kind of watch is that ? it looks good

*Flashaholic*

TSAR with zulu band and of course Suunto compass. purchased first on in hong kong during a 3 week trip thru china. that little compass was a live saver. passed it on to my boy, who finally killed it. that's 5 years of rugged duty...

Thanks Charles, that looks like what I might need...is that the Suunto Clipper?
    -winston

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

That Suunto compass is also available from Recta and Silva. Only difference is the color and the brandname on it.

I usually have something a little bigger, but very affordable, durable and a lot more accurate in my EDC bag. A Silva Field 7 (http://www.silva.se/outdoor/products/comp_field7.htm)
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Currently deciding between the Suunto Clipper and the Silva Field 7 suggested...are Silva or Recta compasses basically rebranded Suuntos?
    -winston

I may have to save up some cash and buy one , is there any difference between the qaurtz and the automatic , I have a Seiko SKX009J that I like and its pretty accurate .

*Flashaholic*

I'd get the real thing and go with Suunto. they're pretty low cost. under $15 if I remember correctly.

Marathon TSAR is quartz, GSAR is mechanical. both are fine watches, since I've already got a Submariner, getting a GSAR would be redundant.

Submariner has been sitting in gun safe since getting TSAR. really like Suunto/TSAR/Zulu combo.

You can try the Marbles Pin-On Compass for $13.99.
    https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager...products_id=62

I keep on of Sun's 20mm compass in my PSK. They run about $5.99.
    www.EDCdepot.com Please use the coupon code CPF to receive your 5% discount on all purchases. If we carry it, so should you. FREE Spy Capsule with every order.

Coincidentally I bought two last month for $9.95 each at
    http://www.thecompassstore.com/51clipl.html
    The shipping was very quick.

That store has a minimum purchase, hence a buddy will get the extra one for Christmas!

They are nice little tools, not toys. They come with a removeable wrist strap. The rotating bezel has click-stops so you can set the declination and keep it there. To find your declination, go to:
    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/Declination.jsp
    Mine is 13 degrees West.

W.
    Current EDC: SF-T1A + SAK MiniChamp
    Arc(AAA-P), SF(M6, U2, A2), Photon Freedom, Petzl-Zipka+, PeliLite-2C (c1980 first good light)

Silva is defiantly a maker in its own right, I dont know about Recta

wmirag, call me ignorant, but before reading your post I was not aware of the declination of the Earth's magnetic field. Thanks for enlightening me

Like with every other gadget I buy, I started out intending to get something small and simple that would get the job done, like the Suunto Clipper. I'm eyeing the Suunto M2 now...what do you guys think?

Is there any noticeable difference in quality or reliability between the Suunto and Silva compasses?
    -winston

Last edited by macforsale; 08-30-2007 at 06:38 PM.

*Flashaholic*

suunto m2 is a full size compass. back to the best compass is the one you have with you.

if I'm on a navigation course, then I'll use a full sized Silva. but it sure is nice to have Suunto clipper always with me. EDC compass.

they really serve two different purposes. full sized vs tiny EDC compass.

Quote Originally Posted by chamenos
    Like with every other gadget I buy, I started out intending to get something small and simple that would get the job done, like the Suunto Clipper. I'm eyeing the Suunto M2 now...what do you guys think?

Is there any noticeable difference in quality or reliability between the Suunto and Silva compasses?

Quote Originally Posted by chamenos

I don't think so. I own a Silva and its top quality. I've only heard good things about Suunto. And my dad owns a Recta that is on the same quality-level as my Silva...

Brunton compasses are mostly rebranded Silva models. If you're in the US the Brunton versions might be a bit cheaper than the Silva models. The Brunton 7DNL is equal to the Silva Field 7.

And to show how little difference there is between these brands:

Well, I guess I might have to buy both

I'll probably go with a Suunto, as I'm currently in Italy and will be until next May. There's a Suunto dealer that's just a 40 minute walk away from where I stay, so I'll probably go check them out tomorrow. I'm really hoping prices will be decent...I've seen 2C Maglites here go for 40 Euros (~US$53)
    -winston

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    maycooper, all three looks like they were made by same mfg with same mold...
    Exactly...

If you wear an analog watch you can always do this

So I found the shop, and they're charging approximately 200-300% MSRP

Anyway I'm pretty much settled on the Suunto Clipper and M2, which I'll get over the winter break. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions! 1s125's suggestion will have to suffice for now
    -winston

Hi,

- Tru-Nord Compass (www.trunord.com)
    - S.A.S Compass (www.tadgear.com)
    - Marbles Compass (WWW.marblesoutdoors.com)
    - Silva Compass (www.silvacompass.com)
    - Suunto Compass (www.suunto.com)
    - Brunton Compass (www.brunton.com)
    www.rei.com

PA

Here's the deal on compass manufacturers, bear with me:

Silva of Sweden (the original SILVA of historical fame) owns Brunton. They bought Brunton mainly because they lost a battle to market compasses under their company name in North America. In North America, most (not all) Silva of Sweden compasses are sold as Brunton models, most under the 'Nexus' nameplate. If you want for example a genuine 'Silva of Sweden' Ranger in North America, you buy a Brunton Nexus 15 or 25!

Silva U.S.A. is owned by Johnson Outdoors, who won the right to use the 'Silva' name in North America. They are NOT the same as Silva of Sweden, they are NOT a original compass manufacturer and they only own names. 'Silva' brand compasses sold in North America are all Johnson Outdoor compasses. JO instead specs and sources compasses from makers all over the world, including Suunto, which is why the Silva clipper-style and wristband (model 424) compasses sold in North America look suspiciously like Suuntos. To make matters more confusing, JO owns certain original Silva model names for North America distribution as well, like Ranger, Explorer, Starter 1-2-3, and Polaris. I have a strong suspicion some of the cheaper Silva USA compasses sold in North America are actually sourced from China, but I can't prove it.

Recta is owned by Suunto. Suunto continues to market both Recta and Suunto-manufactured compasses under both the Recta and Suunto names.
    Last edited by Glen22; 12-10-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Interesting.

In my post above I was referring to Silva of Sweden, I had never heard of any other 'Silva' (up until now!)

My Walmart has these on clearance for $4:
    http://cspoutdoors.stores.yahoo.net/sibrpico.html
    So I got one to replace the toy one AW includes in his orders. Not bad for $4, eh?
    RIP Don and Mike Show. Long Live The Mike O'Meara Show!

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: I need a good compass

Try Cammenga, they make the compasses for the military. And the bodies are made of metal!

Well, I just won a Silva 340 watch-strap compass off Ebay. I reaaaaaally hope it's here within the week, was shipped today. The packaging has both English and French, so I'm not sure if it's a Swedish made product or not. The description says "Made in Finland".
    Either way, it's saving me from buying a Maratac AQC! Thanks to cy and others for their testimonials on these, they were the deciding factor for me.

I just got the Suunto M-3G with global needle and adjustable declination. I have yet to use it in the field, but I think this is going to be a winner. I never had an adjustable declination compass before.

For those of you to whom this is also new, there is a little screw that allows you to create the declination offset between the capsule "True North" lines and the capsule "Magnetic North" pointer.

This allows you to set the compass on a map with the capsule "True North" lines parallel to your map's N-S Meridians. Then, when you take to the field, you can just orient the needle at the pointer and the bearing will read correctly WITHOUT that mental calculation I goof up half the time!

http://www.thecompassstore.com/51m3gl.html
    Current EDC: SF-T1A + SAK MiniChamp
    Arc(AAA-P), SF(M6, U2, A2), Photon Freedom, Petzl-Zipka+, PeliLite-2C (c1980 first good light)

Flashaholic

Good choice! Adjustable declination is the way to go. No adding/subtracting degrees and getting confused. For interested parties REI has an excellent selection of compasses and information on how to choose a compass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast