I need a good compass

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always find myself in need of one, but those little water-filled compasses I usually get are always leaking and becoming unserviceable after a while. I need something that's small, compact, reliable, and affordable. Recommendations? :)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Silva-compass when I'm outdoors, but it's not as tiny as keychain water compasses, so it might not suit your needs if you're gonna carry it around all the time. Otherwise, topnotch compass.

cy

Flashaholic
the only reliable small compass I've seen is a Suunto.

ti pd 3.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
TSAR with zulu band and of course Suunto compass. purchased first on in hong kong during a 3 week trip thru china. that little compass was a live saver. passed it on to my boy, who finally killed it. that's 5 years of rugged duty...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently deciding between the Suunto Clipper and the Silva Field 7 suggested...are Silva or Recta compasses basically rebranded Suuntos?

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I may have to save up some cash and buy one , is there any difference between the qaurtz and the automatic , I have a Seiko SKX009J that I like and its pretty accurate .

cy

Flashaholic
I'd get the real thing and go with Suunto. they're pretty low cost. under $15 if I remember correctly.

Marathon TSAR is quartz, GSAR is mechanical. both are fine watches, since I've already got a Submariner, getting a GSAR would be redundant.

Submariner has been sitting in gun safe since getting TSAR. really like Suunto/TSAR/Zulu combo.

wmirag

Enlightened
Coincidentally I bought two last month for $9.95 each at
http://www.thecompassstore.com/51clipl.html
The shipping was very quick.

That store has a minimum purchase, hence a buddy will get the extra one for Christmas!

They are nice little tools, not toys. They come with a removeable wrist strap. The rotating bezel has click-stops so you can set the declination and keep it there. To find your declination, go to:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/Declination.jsp
Mine is 13 degrees West.

W.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmirag, call me ignorant, but before reading your post I was not aware of the declination of the Earth's magnetic field. Thanks for enlightening me :)

Like with every other gadget I buy, I started out intending to get something small and simple that would get the job done, like the Suunto Clipper. I'm eyeing the Suunto M2 now...what do you guys think?

Is there any noticeable difference in quality or reliability between the Suunto and Silva compasses?

cy

Flashaholic
suunto m2 is a full size compass. back to the best compass is the one you have with you.

if I'm on a navigation course, then I'll use a full sized Silva. but it sure is nice to have Suunto clipper always with me. EDC compass.

they really serve two different purposes. full sized vs tiny EDC compass.

chamenos said:
Like with every other gadget I buy, I started out intending to get something small and simple that would get the job done, like the Suunto Clipper. I'm eyeing the Suunto M2 now...what do you guys think?

Is there any noticeable difference in quality or reliability between the Suunto and Silva compasses?

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
chamenos said:

I don't think so. I own a Silva and its top quality. I've only heard good things about Suunto. And my dad owns a Recta that is on the same quality-level as my Silva...

Brunton compasses are mostly rebranded Silva models. If you're in the US the Brunton versions might be a bit cheaper than the Silva models. The Brunton 7DNL is equal to the Silva Field 7.

And to show how little difference there is between these brands:

clip1.jpg
clip2.jpg
clip3.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
maycooper, all three looks like they were made by same mfg with same mold...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess I might have to buy both :D

I'll probably go with a Suunto, as I'm currently in Italy and will be until next May. There's a Suunto dealer that's just a 40 minute walk away from where I stay, so I'll probably go check them out tomorrow. I'm really hoping prices will be decent...I've seen 2C Maglites here go for 40 Euros (~US$53) :wtf: