static charges cause dust accumulate on lens

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone notice dust particles accumulate on the lens of flashlights? They are attracted by static electricity.

How do you keep the lens free of most static charges? Do you use some type of static liquid spray to keep lens clear?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I have noticed the same thing.

I am interested in a solution also. :popcorn:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think it is much more noticable because of the fact that the light shines on it! :)

I have a static free cloth that I wipe alot of electronics stuff with but it does appear to be more of a soft lens cloth that you might find with a set of glasses? Should I believe the packaging?

quokked

Enlightened
Lenses usually attract dust with the static charge they hold, plus the fact that most flashlights out there don't have the benefit of a cover to keep the dust out like on camera lenses.

Be careful with the lens cleaning sprays and the like, the lenses on the good flashlights have a Anti-reflective coating on it (you'll notice a purplish tint to the lens when you look at it from a angle) this coating can be wiped off and messed up pretty quickly if you use something too extreme (windex for example)
The best thing i recommend is to goto a good camera store and get a good quality lens cleaning kit, you get the lens pen for brushing off the dust, a cloth for wiping off and a solution for cleaning, the solutions are sometimes marked safe for anti reflective lenses and these are the one's to go for. :)

Concept, quick aussie tip ;) if you want a good cleaning cloth try ducking down to the nearest Coles, they stock the 3M Scotch-Brite Lens cleaning cloths at the one up the road from me, and it's not a big one either, these pretty decent quality cloths and they're like 3-5 bucks, they pick up the dust like no tomorrow too.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Picard,

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I find that when a layer of dust forms on my light, I can just point it up and let the rain wash it off... :)

Tom

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that liquid fabric conditioner contains anti-static agents, I read about people that use it on their tv screens to clean and reduce the static !!!.

apple fresh or apricot or sea spray / scented flashlights.

regards.

John.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
You crybabies. Quit whining about a little lint in your beams. It's a tool, you should use it, clean it and put it away like any tool. Unless it's a shelf queen, a little lint or even scratches on the anti-reflective coating is nothing to worry about. Dropping it down an elevator shaft is something to worry about. Leaving it on the seat of your car to get stolen is something to worry about. Use, abuse and enjoy your lights. Never has mankind has so many options to light up the night. In the decades to come we'll have even more options; better options; brighter, lighter longer running smaller options. thought activated lights and x-ray vision. Smile.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh right. I quit crying. pffft. I just want to reduce static charges build up on my lens.:whistle:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I believe that one, but it just gave me an idea to try the sheets that one puts into the dryer, on the TV. (stopped using fabric softener years ago and doubled the life of the clothes.) Could care less about the lint on the flashlight lens, most of it wipes off, and what's left doesn't impact the light much, (but scratches left on the lens from too much wiping will.)

TinderBox (UK) said:
I heard that liquid fabric conditioner contains anti-static agents, I read about people that use it on their tv screens to clean and reduce the static !!!.
John.

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
carbine15 said:
You crybabies. Quit whining about a little lint in your beams. It's a tool, you should use it, clean it and put it away like any tool. Unless it's a shelf queen, a little lint or even scratches on the anti-reflective coating is nothing to worry about. Dropping it down an elevator shaft is something to worry about. Leaving it on the seat of your car to get stolen is something to worry about. Use, abuse and enjoy your lights. Never has mankind has so many options to light up the night. In the decades to come we'll have even more options; better options; brighter, lighter longer running smaller options. thought activated lights and x-ray vision. Smile.
As someone who sometimes carries a gun in their pocket I can assure you that any solution to lint is welcome news.
And before someone like yourself decides to give another lecture, yes I do use a pocket holster.
Save your lectures and let some of us discuss a topic in peace.
Smile.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
LifeNRA said:
As someone who sometimes carries a gun in their pocket I can assure you that any solution to lint is welcome news.
And before someone like yourself decides to give another lecture, yes I do use a pocket holster.
Save your lectures and let some of us discuss a topic in peace.
Smile.

Lint, Bah... I fart in your general direction.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
:toilet:It's onions. Onions and unfiltered (hefeweizen) beers. Those are the culprits. I digest cat meat very well thank you.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:

apple fresh or apricot or sea spray / scented flashlights.

regards.

John.

That is true, but make sure you dilute it with water.