Review of Mag holster for MiniMag

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go:

Neat tool, and definitely beats EDC-ing in your pocket.

The fit is good and doesn't seem to fall out when running.

It might fall out if you are hang upside down and shaken very vigorously.

Downside is, it can move up and down just the way it's made (look at second pic). I would prefer a tighter fit. But it's not really a problem.

In contrast, take a look at the original nylon holster which comes with every MiniMag. The plus is, it's flatter when not in use. Downside is, it rides lower. I would hesitate to discard it just yet. Here is the pic of them both on a belt.

mag_holster2.jpg

mag_holster1.jpg

Last edited:

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Is that a 3AA MagLed vs. a 2AA incandescent?

I'm desperately trying to find a decent holster for my 2AA MLed. The ones mag supplies are crap to begin with, and the added length of the light means more chances to snag. I think mine gave up after 2 days of EDC.

This one looks nice, but I prefer the ballistic nylon/cordura look, and haven't been able to find a decent one that fits snugly on a 1-1/2" belt...actually, I haven't found a good one at *all* yet.

Anyone have ideas?

*edit* Almost forgot, I ordered a Nite-eyes "pock-its" last night, thinking maybe it would handle the 2AA MLed, with the bonus of holding my Gerber as well...We shall see.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it is a 2AA MagLED and 2AA incan.

The leather holster is OK but I wouldn't pay more than about $6 for it. It's OK but needs to fit better on the belt. Right now it can accomodate a 3" belt I think.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Yeah, the extra beltspace is a turnoff for me, not sure why. I just don't like stuff riding "loose" on my belt, I guess...

Also, looking at the snap on the back, does it show through on the light side? Meaning, does the mag have to slide past it every time you pull/insert the light? Not that I'd care much about scratches on an EDC light, but some might...

Where is this available from, btw?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This holster being loose can be seen as a plus, too, since you can sort of adjust it higher or lower.

I agree, it's not the best design, but worth $6 that I paid for it.

The snap on the back (i.e. on the inside) is recessed and does not impact the light. Good question.

Best prices for it seem to be on Ebay.

One of its advantages over the nylon holster is that it's quicker to take out, and quicker to put back in because the holster always stays open, while nylon may not. Plus the nylon rides too low for my taste and may flap up and down when running for example.

I think this leather holster is a big improvement over my former method of EDC.

Culhain

Enlightened
Has anyone tried using water to shrink fit this holster to the light ? This works for some untreated knife sheaths, but I'm not sure how the black dye on the holster would affect the process.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Just wanted to update, Nite-Ize regular Pock-Its came today, it does accomodate a 2AA M@GLed and a Leatherman Supertool. It doesn't like my Gerber 600. I also fit a small pouch with 2AA batts and a Boker Subcom Plus. Theres room for cash or whatever now, but it's like 3 pounds. Back to the drawing board...

I know, I know...worthless w/o pics...I'll try

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Pouch wise I would suggest your searching the name of John Willis on the CPF.

He can make pretty do any custom work you want with great nylon pouches. I've ordered from him in the past and will be doing so again shortly.

I hope that helps.