The Fenix LO-Ti is over 40% heavier than the LOP/LOD

tron3

Banned
The Fenix LO-Ti is 40% heavier than the LOP/LOD. This can be verified easily with infomation on the Fenix site.

Both the LOP and LOD have an empty gram weight of 14.5
The LO-Ti has an empty gram weight of 21.0.

Aluminum has an atomic weight of 26.982, and Titanium is 47.88. In either case, no matter how you do the math, the LO-Ti is 43 or 44 percent heavier than the aluminum version. This is to be expected from Titanium as the density is what helps make it so strong.

Any good CPF member knows that Lithium batteries are 1/3 lighter, and thus would be a great choice, unless it is deemed not a good battery to use here.

Does this weight difference matter to anyone? I was hoping it would be lighter, but at least it isn't lead. Thoughts?

Last edited:

luigi

Enlightened
It certainly does not matter to me.
The only reason for Titanium flashlights is the "coolness" factor.
In terms of weight, price and heat efficiency aluminium is probably better in each aspect.

So the ones getting and begging for the TI version (include me) are just interested in the coolness of Titanium (resistance to corrosion blah blah is a nice excuse).
Those who look for a "efficient" flashlight from an engineering point of view wouldn't even think about Ti over Al

My humble view.
Luigi

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the LOP is a keychain light, and as much as I would love to have a beautiful titanium version, both the high cost and the extra weight on the keychain push me away from it. Its not good for the ignition lock to hang a lot of weight off the car key.

FsTop

Enlightened
Adding 7 g., or 1/4 oz., is about like adding one more key on the keychain. Not a big deal, at least for my cars ignition lock...

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened
I feel sorry for your beast of burden who has to endure the equivalent of three US pennies worth of extra weight in order to drag around the massive and unwieldy LOP Ti
:dedhorse: <<<< poor horsey =*(

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
amanichen said:
I feel sorry for your beast of burden who has to endure the equivalent of three US pennies worth of extra weight in order to drag around the massive and unwieldy LOP Ti
:dedhorse: <<<< poor horsey =*(

I suppose the vanity benefits of the LOP Ti versus the aluminum version fail to outweigh the functional drawbacks for me. Of course, if your beast of burden is not a keeper then it doesn't much matter. :touche:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well... the 1337! titanium lights are more of being wowers and not being lightweight.

and 40% increase in mass for a light that small doesn't matter much.

unless you are talking about the m@glites C and D.

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
I suppose the vanity benefits of the LOP Ti versus the aluminum version fail to outweigh the functional drawbacks for me.

It is much tougher than Aluminium and it has got a better/brighter emitter than the standard L0D, but probably not worth the extra.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kind of funny for me, since I have no grasp what so ever about oz, lb, stones etc etc. But 7g (even though it's 40% more),is nothing. So there is really no weight issue at all here. And the batteries make up much of the weight anyways in theese small lights.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recon that the information on the Fenix site may turn out to be a bit overstated. The case is going to make up, what, half the weight of the light ?? That's about 8g on the L0P. If the Ti is 40% heavier that makes the total weight around 18g. ( 14g+4g ). Unless they put in a big brass heatsink....

On the other hand, we could just wait a few days and find out.

Tesla

Enlightened
luigi said:
It certainly does not matter to me.
The only reason for Titanium flashlights is the "coolness" factor.

Titanium "cool"?....naw.....Carbon Fiber is where it's at....Titanium is so yesterday....:)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
YEs, it is slightly heavier, just a couple more grams! LOL
It actually feels very nice in hand - very solid and substantial. yet, not heavy.
My keychain is 3-4x more! :D

Martini

Enlightened
The "extra" weight may be negligible, but it is rather ironic considering the way titanium products are usually marketed. N.B. that Fenix does not do this.