Coast™ LED Lenser® Industrial @ Lowes

ront

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Brighteyez. I am hoping that someone may have actually used one of these and may have some feedback.

Thanks, Ron

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
FlashlightReviews.com recently listed a Coast flashlight round up:

I believe this light is reviewed here

It looks like they have a 4 AA version reviewed here. Better numbers for throw -- less overall output.

I found the overall output and throw numbers for this light to be very interesting. Would like to know how much runtime from the 3 AAA's. Would be very interested to hear from anyone who has used this light.

I saw the light you inquired about at Lowe's the other evening --- Quickbeam's mini review didn't cause me to get over excited. It would still be interesting to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Last edited:

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
The light was not on sale for that price at our local Lowes (White Lake, MI) several days ago ----- it may be now. The web link he listed allows you to enter your zip code and determine if the item is in stock at your local store. It can be purchased online and picked up at the store. However, the web page as I'm seeing it now doesn't list the sale price.

Last edited:

ront

Newly Enlightened
It just came out in a flyer in our local paper today. Thanks for the info therisensun.

Ron

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't help you there, I've only used the 3AA version of that 1.25W module. Tends to be more focused (i.e. less spill) than other lights of this nature. I've never really paid any attention to these particular lights. However, if you don't get any info, you can always pick one up to try it out, and if you're not satisfied you can always return it to the store; it's not as if you bought it from someone on the web and aren't able to return it. Then you can also share a review of it with others as well.

ront said:
Thanks for the reply Brighteyez. I am hoping that someone may have actually used one of these and may have some feedback.

Thanks, Ron

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
Bargain? Not from my point of view. As with all 3AAA Luxeons, the manufacturer added a battery to be able to run it primarily in a direct drive mode, chose AAA's to make a small package in the hand, while providing you with dramatically shorter runtime and less average brightness.

Check out some of the other 3AAA Luxeons on Flashlight Reviews, especially the runtimes. Then look at the Inova Radiant AA and Maglite Mini AA, both for around $20.

Here's a guideline on alkaline primary battery capacities:

- AA has more than twice the power of AAA
- C has three times the power of AA
- D has twice the power of C

ront

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. After your feedback and the review at Flashlight Reviews, I think I will pass on this one.

Ron

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. AAAs have about the same capacity as CR123s. Using 2 CR123's instead of 4 AAAs probably wouldn't be a good idea either given the cost of those batteries. I don't suppose that a light designed to run on 2 CR123s would have much potential in selling, would it? :lolsign:

EricTarini said:
Bargain? Not from my point of view. As with all 3AAA Luxeons, the manufacturer added a battery to be able to run it primarily in a direct drive mode, chose AAA's to make a small package in the hand, while providing you with dramatically shorter runtime and less average brightness.

Check out some of the other 3AAA Luxeons on Flashlight Reviews, especially the runtimes. Then look at the Inova Radiant AA and Maglite Mini AA, both for around $20.

Here's a guideline on alkaline primary battery capacities:

- AA has more than twice the power of AAA
- C has three times the power of AA
- D has twice the power of C

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Good point. AAAs have about the same capacity as CR123s. Using 2 CR123's instead of 4 AAAs probably wouldn't be a good idea either given the cost of those batteries. I don't suppose that a light designed to run on 2 CR123s would have much potential in selling, would it? :lolsign:

:confused: Surefire primary CR123 cells have a capacity of 1400mAh,
Panasonic have 1800mAh.

Which AAA's are comparable?

Best regards

____
Tom

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally a CR123 is nominally rated at about 1500 mAh (Chinese CR123s at 1300 mAh). The closest to that capacity would be the AAAs with a nominal capacity of 1250-1300 mAh; AAs would certainly not be comparable. While they may not actually compare realistically due to the higher resistance of the alkalines and the limited current that they are able to deliver compared to the CR123s.

Long John said:
:confused: Surefire primary CR123 cells have a capacity of 1400mAh,
Panasonic have 1800mAh.

Which AAA's are comparable?

Best regards

____
Tom

sawmill23

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see some of thier bigger lights.

That one is supposed to be waterproof, shock proof, throw it a long way, drop it, run over it, etc proof.

Christexan

Enlightened
Don't follow those cell-size-comparisons too strictly (as in, "be careful and read the packages), although not a bad rule of thumb for "maximized" batteries, it's very very wrong for many typical batteries (especially name-brand rechargeables)... check out Energizer's alkaline compared to NIMH batteries for instance...
Energizer Alkalines....
AAA - 1250
AA - 2850 (2.28xAAA)
C - 8350 (2.92xAA)
D - 20500 (2.45xC)

Energizer NIMH (max currently listed on spec sheets)
AAA - 900
AA - 2500
C - 2500
D - 2500
So you pay more, for a physically larger battery, but in essence you are getting a shell with an AA battery in it for the C and D sizes. Rather sneaky in my opinion (I'd say deceptive, except they print them clearly on the package, buyer beware).
So although a Maha/Powerex brand NIMH D cell might cost a lot more than an Energizer ($34 per 2 compared to around $12 per 2 alkalines), you are getting 4+ times the capacity (or over a $36-$37 value at $12 per 2500mAh), and a lot longer runtime and fewer charging cycles. Why Energizer does this is unknown to me, maybe liability concerns or something?

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes the trees can block your view of the forest ;)

Actually I think you've answered your own question. Joe Public is not going to pay $17 apiece for a rechargeable D battery, regardless of the capacity, especially if they have to buy them in multiples. The mainstream consumer also doesn't want to have to invest the level of time required to charge a full fledged D sized NiMH battery. Additionally there would be objections to the increased weight that a full fledged D size NiMH battery carries with it, compared to a primary alkaline battery. Additionally, the lower cost chargers that are sold in department/drug/camera stores may actually time out before it can charge a D battery.

And the C and D sized NiMH batteries that are sold in the 2500-2900 mAh range do not usually have AA batteries inside of them, they're generally SubC sized.

The other thing that you have to factor out is the geek factor, and view it from the mainstream consumer's point of view. If a NiMH battery costs 10-12 times as much as a primary alkaline battery, what is the likelihood that the device in question will use up 10-12 sets of alkaline batteries before it fails or interest is lost, or it is lost. That is totally disregarding the NiMH batteries ability to deliver a flatter discharge. And even with state of the art NiMH batteries, the consumer (and even people on this site) are going to take the capacity of the two batteries totally at face value of 18.5A for the alkaline, and only about 10-12A for NiMH.

None of the name brand battery manufacturers are being deceptive in the packaging or sale of the batteries, as you say, they plainly note the capacity on battery and the frequently on the packaging as well.

And ... getting right down to the bottom line ... many people, including myself, do not necessarily need a 12A battery each time they use the device. I use both 4500 and 2900 mAh batteries in some C sized lights, and quite honestly I never exhaust the 2900 mAh batteries in a single usage session anyway. All I have to do is recharge them before the next usage session. If I use the 4500 mAh batteries, I obviously won't use them up, but they'll just sit around and self-discharge before I use them again, so they too will need to be recharged.

Christexan said:
So although a Maha/Powerex brand NIMH D cell might cost a lot more than an Energizer ($34 per 2 compared to around $12 per 2 Energizers), you are getting 4+ times the capacity (or over a $36-$37 value at $12 per 2500mAh), and a lot longer runtime and fewer charging cycles. Why Energizer does this is unknown to me, maybe liability concerns or something?

Christexan

Enlightened
LOL, wasn't "blocked", just irritates me that I can't buy high-cap large-standard-sized cell NIMH rechargeables at the local store (the comment about "essentially a AA cell in a larger shell" was in reference to the capacity, you could put a AA in a hollow shell to fill the space and get the same result as a NIMH-D-Energizer battery.

Not everyone needs them, true, but heavy light users (flashlights, bikelights, etc) or the parent who replaces 8 D-cell batteries at a time for a 2-hour lifespan electric car (at $48 per set of 8) would probably be very happy to pay a, $80-$100 one-time cost for a decent charger and 8 NIMH D-cells of good quality... of course, that would cut the alkaline profits quite a bit... even assuming a huge profit margin on NiMH cells and chargers, it wouldn't be close to the margins on regular C/D cell replacements... no forest in the way here, it's a rather obvious business decision, why cut their own throats by making available a product that the market isn't absolutely demanding (accepting small parasitic losses from the few who find "better ways" knowing that the unknowing mass market is willing to keep throwing their money into the landfills.) Eveready/Energizer certainly has the know-how and R&D dollars (available in the form of the marketing budget) to make great fast-chargers and high-cap cells, as good as or better than all the Tenergy/Maha/Powerizer stuff on the market, but it won't increase their profit margins, and would potentially (I'd say very likely) decrease their own profits over time, so they aren't foolish enough to actually do such a thing (heck, Duracell won't even make above AA rechargeables it seems).
Didn't mean to derail the discussion from the Coast LEDs (which I was interested in hearing more about as well) was just pointing out that "larger isn't always more" in marketplace batteries, buyer beware.

The average consumer wouldn't have a clue what mAh is without researching, and might not realize that a C theoretically SHOULD have more than an AA (since AAA, AA, C, D alkalines are all 1.5V (and NiMH all 1.2), since those numbers are all "the same" why would they expect another unknown term (mAh) to be different)... that's where my feeling that it's a bit deceptive, even if "obvious" comes in.... it's like a few years back when one brand of cough syrup went to something like "30% more at the same price" in the package (true, based on volume) but the dose size went from "2 teaspoons" to "2 tablespoons" or something like that (or it was 2 tablespoons instead of 1 tablespoon, don't remember the details, it was a news article). Yes, it's 30% more liquid, and yes, the dose size is clearly stated on the packaging, and if you took the time to divide them, you'd realize you are getting LESS per dollar than the previous size formulation... but it's still dirty pool.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
right, it's a conspiracy

it's a plot amongst the brik n morter stores to just sell stuff that people will buy so dey can makes mo muney.

Christexan said:
why cut their own throats by making available a product that the market isn't absolutely demanding (accepting small parasitic losses from the few who find "better ways" knowing that the unknowing mass market is willing to keep throwing their money into the landfills.)

Last edited: