Incandescent,for how long?

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
For how long do you think that Surefire will continue to do incandescent lights? Knowing that the leds seems to take more and more market.

Or do you think that incan. will always have there place in the lightning world?

Sylvain

carrot

Flashaholic
As long as Surefire's incandescent models sell, I'm pretty sure they'll be sticking around for quite a while. Arent the 6P and G2 still among Surefire's best sellers? I'd assume so, as they're the lowest price models and still afford a fantastic amount of output, not to mention modular components for versatility.

Edit:
Besides, none of Surefire's LED offerings quite replace their incandescent offerings. All the incandescent lights have a fairly tight hotspot and a decent amount of flood, whereas their current LED offerings are either all throw or all flood, with the notable exception of the K2 Kroma which seems to be, IMHO, of a happy medium.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy both, but like most I perfer Incandecents over LED for outdoors. I still perfer my incandecents slightly more than my Led lights. I edc on me both an A2 and U2 daily and use both for different purposes. As long as they sell them, then i'll buy them when I can afford them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably for a long long time.

You may need to reevaluate your conclusions about LEDs replacing incandescents. I think you may find that it may not be the case.

In the case of high intensity compact flashlights, which is Surefire's primary market, there are no LED products that currently even come close to the level of output that an incandescent bulb can produce.

sylvain said:
For how long do you think that Surefire will continue to do incandescent lights?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably for another 10 years at least. Even if they stop selling some of the incan lineup, SureFire will still continue to warrantee and repair them, and continue to sell the lamp modules and tail caps and so on.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As soon as leds start putting out 100 (true) to 500 lumens in a small package that are comercially availible...I and many others will happily stop buying incans. Until then, many of us will be forced to buy yesterdays technology since today's does not yet meet that criteria of a truely bright light that works well in the outdoors, not just in the house.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I do believe that at some point, incandescents will be replaced by LEDs, but not before LEDs can do the two things incandescents do really well.

1. Incandescents render colors much better, especially outdoors. Until LED manufacturers find some way to control much more tightly the tint of their LEDs, incandescents will rule in this application.

2. As carrot stated, LEDs just aren't focused as easily as incandescents, at least not anywhere in Surefire's line. I'm still waiting for a P60 beam pattern out of an LED light.